Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Glad you got the thing ready for deer season! Nothing worse, to me, than to have a rifle go nuts real close to hunting season, ha. I hunted for years down in East Texas (grew up there) with a Mod 742 '06 that would only do about 4" with Federal 165 SBT. With Remington 150CLs it would only do about 5-6"! Iron sights, btw. Of course, in those woods I hunted I never killed any deer or hog further than about 60yds away with it either, ha.
I remember when it was very, very common down there to see a lot of Military Sporters....a few Mauser 98s (8mm) a couple Mod 93 7x57s, '303s, a lot of the little carbine 6.5 "Eyetalians", and bookoo 1917 Enfields. None had scopes of course. Folks in my neck of the woods weren't 'well heeled", and the most common "nice guns", were the Mod 94 Winchester and the Remington 740, later the Mod 742. My best friend had a Sears JC Higgins Mod 50(?) '06 that I drooled over! I bought my first "really nice gun", a Mod 94 Classic carbine in 1968, on time, paid for by odd jobs. It was a beauty, but the chamber was oval shaped, fired cases had a bulge on on side! Up to 50yds, I could shoot a squirrels head off, but at 100 it would barely do 4" and at 150yds I only "nicked" an antifreeze jug once out of five shots! No matter, furtherest kill was 90 long steps on a hog! Everything else, hogs & deer were way under 50! ha. You are in "high cotton" with a 2" shooter, lol. Have a ball friend!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 10/02/17.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It sounds as though you have things calmed down for now. Congrats. BUT, I noticed you mentioned an inspection of the muzzle crown. I would suggest a re-crowning of the muzzle. Visual inspections don't always reveal flaws.

I bought a Winchester 94 Timber Carbine in 444 Marlin that simply refused to hit a washing machine at 50 yds. I tried everything, nothing worked...until I re-crowned the muzzle. Now it shoots nice tight little groups. I am the 3rd owner, and I guarantee the previous owners gave up on it.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Update:

I had the Mauser from Hell back out to the range on Saturday. I put 20 rounds of the Hornady 170 grain RN through it. The wind was gusty, so it really played hell with the groups, but even with that handicap, I was keeping everything inside Minute-of-Deer accuracy. I'm going back and load 50 rounds of the ammo and run a few more through before season, but I think we can call this one fixed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Shaman,

Thanks for letting us share your journey. I have enjoyed learning from this thread.

Thanks to all who offered ideas and suggestions! That's what makes this place the best on the internet!

Best wishes for your hunting season, can't wait to see the results. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Shaman,

Thanks for letting us share your journey. I have enjoyed learning from this thread.

Thanks to all who offered ideas and suggestions! That's what makes this place the best on the internet!

Ed

...........................My thoughts as well. It's been real interesting. Keep us updated and good luck.

IC B2

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Shaman,

Ed

Thank you. Sorry I did not have chance to respond before now. If you read elsewhere in the forum, I spent yesterday putting down our dog. It's been a bummer.

Unlike a gunwriter, or even an outdoor writer, I figure myself to be a writer that likes the outdoors. Of all the places I've been on the web, this particular venue seems to be the best place I've found for straight answers to firearms questions. This thread is typical. I don't mean to carp, quite the contrary. However, if you read through it, you see that just about every possible avenue was discussed: scope, mount, stock, bullet, seating depth, bore, etc. Nobody could satisfactorily put their finger on the problem, though a lot of people wanted to blame the scope of the mount. The scope was nearly brand new, and rifle had just come back from a gunsmith who had tested to make sure everything concerning the mount was rock solid. However, having the discussion certainly clarified the issues for me.

The one other possibility occurred to me as I was shooting Saturday. Unlike previous years, the grass at the farm has been growing exceptionally well this year. However, my edging mower has been in the shop all summer. I just got it back. As I was looking through my scope, I noticed a couple stalks had grown high enough about 20 yards out that they might have impinged on the original rounds. Just to make sure, I had a scrap of plywood at hand and laid it down on the most likely offenders. If it was the cause, it makes sense in that only 1 out of every 3-4 rounds was going wild. That could have been a stalk blowing into the field of fire just out of the sight picture due to parallax. I bet no one thought of a chunk of plywood could be a solution, did ya?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
Shaman,

Ed

Thank you. Sorry I did not have chance to respond before now. If you read elsewhere in the forum, I spent yesterday putting down our dog. It's been a bummer.

Unlike a gunwriter, or even an outdoor writer, I figure myself to be a writer that likes the outdoors. Of all the places I've been on the web, this particular venue seems to be the best place I've found for straight answers to firearms questions. This thread is typical. I don't mean to carp, quite the contrary. However, if you read through it, you see that just about every possible avenue was discussed: scope, mount, stock, bullet, seating depth, bore, etc. Nobody could satisfactorily put their finger on the problem, though a lot of people wanted to blame the scope of the mount. The scope was nearly brand new, and rifle had just come back from a gunsmith who had tested to make sure everything concerning the mount was rock solid. However, having the discussion certainly clarified the issues for me.

The one other possibility occurred to me as I was shooting Saturday. Unlike previous years, the grass at the farm has been growing exceptionally well this year. However, my edging mower has been in the shop all summer. I just got it back. As I was looking through my scope, I noticed a couple stalks had grown high enough about 20 yards out that they might have impinged on the original rounds. Just to make sure, I had a scrap of plywood at hand and laid it down on the most likely offenders. If it was the cause, it makes sense in that only 1 out of every 3-4 rounds was going wild. That could have been a stalk blowing into the field of fire just out of the sight picture due to parallax. I bet no one thought of a chunk of plywood could be a solution, did ya?

A bunch of us mentioned the scope because, IME, after dealing with lots of rifle accuracy problems, scope failure is the most common cause that I’ve run into.

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, and I'd be the first to admit I was being a tad pig-headed in thinking it was probably not.

I was listening. I had a brand new scope at hand to swap out if the change of bullet didn't change things. That was going to be my next step.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you got it sorted out, Shaman!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I've had to do that too many times in my life and know the sadness.

As to the plywood solution, that's thinking outside the box! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got another datum to add to this project:

I originally loaded up .322" bullets. That batch of 20 rounds required trimming after 1 shooting, and the second batch made the brass grow about half the way to needing trimming again.

The second batch of bullets were the Hornady the .323" Hornady RN's. I've now fired them twice and the brass has only grown half the length to needing resizing.

Interesting. I figure a rifle loony would appreciate it.

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm back from deer camp. Everyone filled their tags. The Mauser From Hell went out on several occasions. I think a picture will say it all:

[Linked Image]
Details here:

Tagged Out in 2017

Bottom line: I'm kicking myself for not taking more time with the rifle before season. When the moment of truth came, I found I could not get the K98's safety off with a gloved hand. I ended up muffing a shot at a nice doe Sunday morning. I went out again in the afternoon. This time, I dropped one in its tracks at 185 yards.

Although I'm sure the MFH is now worthy as a deer rifle, it still needs work. Right now, it's shimmed. I plan on removing more material from the forearm so that it is properly free-floated. Also, before it goes out hunting again, I need to change out the safety. I would like y'all's opinion on a safety. I prefer a 3-position, but I'm not sure about the expense.

SuperCore, its previous owner, was amazed at the improvement in the MFH. He'd owned it for over a decade and never been able to get it to shoot better than minute of bushel basket. At camp, he filled me in on its history. He'd been dating a widow back many years ago, and helped her sell off her husband's gun collection. The fellow had turned to drink in his latter years and ruined many of his pieces in blind rages. One very nice double-barrelled stainless SXS had been wrapped around a tree. This was one of the better items left in working order. However, he had probably banged the scope mount loose. The rest, up until I got it was just a series of munge-ups by bad gunsmiths.

Last edited by shaman; 11/21/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoyed going back through this thread. Get that old beast bedded properly, with the spacer, some nice epoxy bedding, and start dropping them.

One thing I'd think about is the HDY 150 SP with cannelure. I shoot those over Varget or 4895 (depending on what I have "too much" of) in a Yugo P44 and get 1 and 1/4 groups for 5 at 100 with a cheap "scout" scope and a five-dollar Paragon take off Nazi barrel. I only have shot one coyote with it, but it was DRT with plenty of zap left over.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by shaman
[quote=APDDSN0864]. I bet no one thought of a chunk of plywood could be a solution, did ya?

I'm a "Round-Up" fan myself! smile 'Hank, I can't feel my roots"!

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I enjoyed going back through this thread. Get that old beast bedded properly, with the spacer, some nice epoxy bedding, and start dropping them.

One thing I'd think about is the HDY 150 SP with cannelure. I shoot those over Varget or 4895 (depending on what I have "too much" of) in a Yugo P44 and get 1 and 1/4 groups for 5 at 100 with a cheap "scout" scope and a five-dollar Paragon take off Nazi barrel. I only have shot one coyote with it, but it was DRT with plenty of zap left over.

You mean for the MFH or my ought-Sixes? I don't see one listed in 32 Cal.

Actually, I'm way ahead of you if you mean for the '06.. My new Hornady LNL AP press came with a free 500 bullet offer. I sent in the coupon and look what I got:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
OK. Got you. However, I don't think those will work. The MFH has a .32 cal bore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My mistake. For some reason I was thinking your rifle had been re-barreled in .303 British. Here’s the correct link:

8mm 150 IL

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Those look good. I may try those next.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, Jordan, them are those.

They have shot well for me. I got a bunch of blems years ago for eight cents. Have no clue what the blemishes were, there was a little "spotting" so I chucked them in acetone then let them dry.
I would like to try the 125s but the throat on my beast is kind of far away.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 163bc, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 61 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,894
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.