Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Every once in a while this comes up on the fire. Surprising how many people on another thread here on the fire "Regrets" mentioned wanting to have just one rifle and spending the extra money on hunts, being happier for it. I've read it before, but really was a little surprised how many liked the idea, but seemed unable or unwilling to make the leap. Why hold onto a bunch if you regret it? Is it an addiction you can't say no to?

LOL
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes it is. It's just in some of us to want nice guns and lots of them. I found the more I got the less I enjoyed any of them. I've really narrowed it down to just a 30-30 and a .300 Savage right now. I'd like to leave it there but health issues are forcing me to less recoil and I'm thinking either a .22 Hi Power or .250 Savage is the answer for me going forward so I'm going to need to get one. Right now I'm pulling spark plugs on my .300 to get through this season.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
If you are asking the question of keeping or having only one Savage then, without question, it would be my 1957 99EG in 300 Savage. A close second would be finishing up a long languishing 99E project because it is a short handy carbine in .308 - an easier to obtain cartridge than the .300. There's absolutely nothing wrong with limiting your collection and putting "extra" money into other things. In my case that's more of an imposed situation than it is voluntary as extra money isn't always available.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow, I guess its like asking which chip you'd have out of the bag if you could only have one Lays.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do you find yourself buying guns only because the condition and price make them impossible for you to pass up, even if you're not terribly interested in them for what they are?

Confession- I do this.

LOL
IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find myself doing both. And as long as I find myself active in doing what I want to do, then all is well.

Some people are just collectors. The real question is, “Are you happy?”

If yes, then everything is just fine. I like to hunt and collect nice firearms. Both work for me. But not for everyone.

When I find myself needing to change something, I change it.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
Ok Roy, What did you just buy??

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ed7189

Oh come on for the love of Pete! grin Nothing noteworthy.

I own a Jeep, all my money has a place to go.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Fireball2]Do you find yourself buying guns only because the condition and price make them impossible for you to pass up, even if you're not terribly interested in them for what they are?

Dealer at the last gun show had bought a group of Conn. State Guard marked guns. In the group was five Win 69A Match rifles. Not mint but a hard to find version. There were two that I couldn't decide which to buy... so bought both. Didn't need either but the price was right. I don't think they had seen oil since they left the factory. I was amazed at what a difference just wiping down with an oily rag made. Just an itch from my younger pre-Savage days that never got scratched.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Damn, I just got rid of a Jeep. A 98 Cherokee. I put over 170K on that thing and threw a lot of money at it too. But to be fair a lot of that scratch had to do with miles on the OD and years down the road. I love Cherokees and get a bit weepy whenever I see a nice one drive by. They are a great little rig for what they are.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is really hard not too. The market seems softer, and deals keep popping up! But you are right sometimes I feel like a crazy cat lady. But carbines, rifles lean on walls and maybe leave a small scratch or dent.........they do not spray!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rick99
[quote=Fireball2]Do you find yourself buying guns only because the condition and price make them impossible for you to pass up, even if you're not terribly interested in them for what they are?

Dealer at the last gun show had bought a group of Conn. State Guard marked guns. In the group was five Win 69A Match rifles. Not mint but a hard to find version. There were two that I couldn't decide which to buy... so bought both. Didn't need either but the price was right. I don't think they had seen oil since they left the factory. I was amazed at what a difference just wiping down with an oily rag made. Just an itch from my younger pre-Savage days that never got scratched.

A 69A is on my wish list too. Do yours have all the correct sights?

Pre-Savage itches are itches nonetheless!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG

Damn, I just got rid of a Jeep. A 98 Cherokee. I put over 170K on that thing and threw a lot of money at it too. But to be fair a lot of that scratch had to do with miles on the OD and years down the road. I love Cherokees and get a bit weepy whenever I see a nice one drive by. They are a great little rig for what they are.

Were those Cherokees Jeeps too? (if in doubt watch your bank account for signs of profuse bleeding). Mine is a 1981 CJ5 with 46,000 original miles, and it still sucks money like Obama on holiday. Sure keeps the Savage buying under control though!

*Come to think of it, I didn't want a Jeep either until I saw this cherry little rig. I may have a problem. Or two.

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/10/17.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

Were those Cherokees Jeeps too? (if in doubt watch your bank account for signs of profuse bleeding). Mine is a 1981 CJ5 with 46,000 original miles, and it still sucks money like Obama on holiday. Sure keeps the Savage buying under control though!

*Come to think of it, I didn't want a Jeep either until I saw this cherry little rig. I may have a problem. Or two.

All jeeps, except for the new models and none of the Grand Cherokees, are jeeps. A buddy of mine I grew up with had, and still has, the 1950 Willys PU his dad bought back in 51. We used to go chasing the cows around across the lava top buttes in that thing. He once came by and complained that it was running a little rough, We popped open the hood and the one barrel carb was dancing around on top of the manifold - but it ran. It didn't matter if half the nuts were missing and the other half were loose. It ran.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"A 69A is on my wish list too. Do yours have all the correct sights?"

Yes sir. Receiver sight, shark fin front, no rear dovetail, marked "22LR", match style stock (a little different than the standard), factory installed loops, made in the 50's. Wood shows some handling marks but very little use. The early version had a six groove brl but these later ones had the standard four. Some how I started collecting Win 72's (the tube version) and have all but one or two of the rare ones. I like shooting the 69's (magazine "clip" version) better and so have picked up a few (too many) of those over the years, as well.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The more I actually "Do", the less I feel the need to accumulate.

It's when life is so busy that you "Think" too much about doing than actually doing that you need to scratch that itch and buy stuff that you really don't need but just have to have.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Heh. I just got rid of a 1996 Cherokee that I'd had since 1997. Think it was at 178K. Lots of fishing trips, hunting trips, family trips, and it survived 3 boys learning to drive through high school.

Driving a Patriot now as a commuter car. It's okay, but it's like having a Prius unstead of an F150.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Heh. I just got rid of a 1996 Cherokee that I'd had since 1997. Think it was at 178K. Lots of fishing trips, hunting trips, family trips, and it survived 3 boys learning to drive through high school.

Driving a Patriot now as a commuter car. It's okay, but it's like having a Prius unstead of an F150.

I took mine to 240K. I found a guy in his late 20s with a young daughter and another one the way who needed a vehicle for work and a little play. The smog and water pump needed some serious attention so I said I'll take care of the water pump if you want to fix the smog. He did and I did and now my old Cherokee has a happy new home. He's a neighbor of a co-woker who tells me he's crazy about it. So I'm happy it went down the road to someone who needed a vehicle and appreciated it as the wrecking yard was the only other alternative. Gotta love those Cherokees. Now I'm sporting a "new to me" 2.0 AWD 2013 Ford Escape I found with a tad under 27K on the OD. What a world of difference but it will never see the same use as my old rig. My apologies to FB2 for going way OT on this one.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I drive my 97 Cherokee everyday. 226,000 miles on it and doesnt use a drop of oil. Cant beat a 4.0 and a 5 speed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got me some fiat Chrysler stock. WOW! They are introducing the Jeep line to Europe and perhaps china!

Just think of the fuel and parts we will get to sell!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.