Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I went to the LGS on Friday looking at some of the newly released high capacity 9mm semi-automatics. My comparisons ended up with the two listed in the title. I didn't have anything with me to weigh or measure with, just my eyes and hands. I like the changes in the Glock in that they eliminated the finger grooves on the grip, finally replaced those plastic sights with steel. They also did a little rounding off on the front of the slide. In my opinion, and it is just that, Glock has improved the 19. It is a good, concealable choice in the reduced size high capacity handgun selection.

The Smith shows several changes. Like the Glock, it also holds 15 rounds and unlike the older compact it does so within the standard grip, not a magazine extension as before. The stippled grip is a little roughly done to me, but definitely will aid retention when firing. The stippling could also be smoothed a little if so desired. The grip comes with four interchangeable back straps for the shooter's preference. Your choice of an external safety or not. It should conceal equal to the Glock. Thickness appears about the same.

When the two guns are layed on top of each other, grip lengths are basically the same. The Glock slide is approximately 3/16" longer than the Smith. I couldn't tell a discernible difference in the trigger pull. All in all, either gun would serve one well I am sure.

I liked the overall feel of the M&P9 2.0 better, and that is what I came home with. I have run 100 rounds thru with no hang-ups so far. I'll let you know if anything changes. I'll accuracy test as soon as the mud at the range dries up. 4" of rain over the week-end.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What were the prices? Last I checked, Glock seemed to think the G5 G19 was worth $100 more.

How mags did the M &P come with?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The aggressive texture on the M&P 2.0 is not noticeable when actually shooting it.

Had a 70 year old woman student shooting the M&P 9 2.0 Compact and a G19, Gen 3 yesterday.

She did not like the M&P texture when handling it, but forgot about it once she started shooting.

She fired 100 rounds through the M&P 9 2.0 Compact and decided to go buy one this week before her LTC test.

Between the two, she much preferred the M&P. Both are essentially the same size.

My only negative comment about the M&P 9 2.0 Compact is the first round is very hard to load in the mag. A Maglula loader definitely will be handy. Also, plan on adding aftermarket night sights.

Make sure to read the manual before disassembling, there is a small lever/rod in the upper magwell that must be lowered to remove the slide and raised after reassembling.

Bottom line - I really like this new 2.0 Compact, and find it far more comfortable and easier to control than the G19, Gen 3, as did the student. Definitely can recommend it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You do not have to fiddle with the M&P dingus to field strip it or reassemble it. The new M&P Compact has M&P ergonomics and Glock 19 size. That's a winner...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I forgot to mention price. The Glock is selling for $559, the M&P sold for $419, both plus tax. Part of that $140 difference is made up for in that the Glock 19 comes with 3 magazines while the M&P only comes with two. One other thing, weight wise the Glock may be slightly lighter, but not enough to make a difference.

Last edited by lastround; 10/09/17. Reason: Add a comment

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
At least on this 2.0 Compact I have, the slide will not come off with the lever in the up position - tried to do it. Moving it to the down position is quick and easy though with the backstrap tool, and it easily moves to up with a finger.

S&W has a winner, but hope they keep working on the mag.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, one does need the Maglula. I had a full sized M&P9 a few years ago, and had one left over that I bought for it.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Most of the Glock guys are gonna keep their 19's, but I'll Wager that anyone who goes to buy one for the first time, with the two laid out in front of them to look at and handle; most will want the M&P9 compact. S&W has a winner here.

Doug
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
On the M&P you either have to flip the lever or pull the trigger after clearing it to remove the slide.

Mark in GA

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not understanding this takedown conversation. I have attended a S&W armorer's class on the M&P in which we had to completely strip the gun and put it back together several times. I have also read and studied the disassembly purtion of the booklet that comes with the gun. In both cases the directions are to remove the magazine, pull the slide back and push the slide lock up to lock it back. Check again to make sure the gun is empty. Spin the take down lever down, look into the magazine well thru the ejection port, locating the sear release lever. Lift that lever to the up position (even a ball point pen will work. Now hold back on the slide and release the slide lock, easing the slide forward. It will slide all the way off the frame at this point. Not trying to argue here, but the above is the only way that this M&P or several others that I have handled will allow slide removal. How does pulling the trigger accomplish this? You still have to flip the takedown lever down and the slide must be back to accomplish this. Never heard about pulling the trigger. That is a step in disassembling a Glock.

Doug
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The procedure you describe is completely accurate. What I am saying is that an alternate method is the same procedure you describe, but in place of flipping the sear release lever, you can pull the trigger. Everything else is the same as you describe.

Mark in GA

Last edited by MarkinGA; 10/09/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can "shoot" that slide assembly right off the frame. And upon reassembly inserting a mag takes care of that useless dingus. I never mess with that thing.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Learn something new every day Mark. I just tried it your way and sure enough. I let the slide go forward and pulled the trigger. As MOGC said, I damn near shot the slide off the frame. Next question.........any possibility of this method causing any damage internally. Just asking.....

Doug
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That is a handy bit of info. Thanks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My brother and I have been doing it this way for years across 5 Gen 1 M&P's, 3 Shields, and 6 current 2.0 versions without issue.

Mark in GA

Last edited by MarkinGA; 10/09/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, it won't damage anything.

The lever only raises the sear, which is what the trigger bar loop does when you pull the trigger. They accomplish the same thing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the 2.0 Compact is legit. It took them forever to finally bring it out, but it's a winner.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Bluedreaux,
I was hoping that you would chime in here as I know that you have a ton of experience with M&P's. To say that I'm impressed with the 2.0 Compact would be a large understatement. I have put another 50 rounds thru mine including some target work. Again, no malfunctions, and was able to put a full magazine into an 8" paper plate free hand standing at 15 yds. I know that is not anything to brag about, but with a new Pistol and 73 years down, I'm happy. Glock may have to come out with a Generation 6 to try to keep up.

Doug
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If the texture of the grip is anything like the 45 shield, the only time it will bother you is when it's abraiding your hide in the holster. I carry mine OWB now.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a feeling that my rough old hands will wear that stippling down a bit after a while. JimmyP, I also intend to carry outside the waistband.

Doug
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.