-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at a scope in the 3-15 power range, these three all seem about the same price.

Thoughts on which one would be better for a lightweight 7mm08 that sees duty in woods and open ranges out to 600 yards? Dialing with a standard duplex reticle.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Looking at a scope in the 3-15 power range, these three all seem about the same price.

Thoughts on which one would be better for a lightweight 7mm08 that sees duty in woods and open ranges out to 600 yards? Dialing with a standard duplex reticle.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the Leupold to dial much at all. It might work a few times in a pinch but I wouldn't even trust it to get in the necessary practice time given the recent reports.

I have not seen a Tract but have seen the other two. Glass quality is at least as good in the Razor and likely a touch better than the Leupold HD. It's hard to say since I have only seen the Leupold HD glass inside and just outside the store in good lighting. I have had the 1.5-8X32 Razor HD LH for a couple years on a Kimber Montana 7mm-08. So far it has adjusted properly and held zero,but I don't dial with it. It's adjustments and a 2-10's that I have played with,aren't as precise and tactile feeling as I would like. Mine moves properly but has no real precise click. It's more of a smooth mushy bump.

From what I have learned the Razor HD LH scopes are made by LOW in Japan,and I expect them to be good quality. Tract has had good reports here and elsewhere,but is just as much of an unknown. Even so,I would likely give the Tract a try,if I was spending my money. Having said that however,I would have even more confidence in the dialing ability of a SWFA SS 3-9X42 HD. It's not all that long until black Friday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if dialing, I'd probably go witht he TRACT sight unseen,

I'm not a dialer, and I have 2 of the Razor LH scopes. great glass, great weight, been dead nutz reliable for sighting in and killing.

Last edited by Mjduct; 10/09/17.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Full disclaimer, I don't own a Razor, but I played with one at Cabela's. If you plan to dial, I would avoid this one like the plague. The "clicks" were TERRIBLE. I'm not even sure I would describe them as high quality as mushy. They did not even compare favorably to the Diamondback line. The Trijicon Accupoint blew it away. Based off that impression and looking at the reticles (no duplex offered unless it's new), this scope is designed to use the windshield.

I'm not knocking it overall. I think it would work great as designed - VERY high quality glass in a LW package. I just can't imagine they designed the erector system to handle much more than sighting in considering they designed such low quality tactile feeling turrets.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used a Track Toric (2-10x42) for a second time this past weekend. Again, only 2 times out, but it's been perfect so far. Toric comes with standard capped elevation adjustment that can be switched out for a taller, lockable, zero-stopped, 18 MOA dial which also has a cap if you desire to use it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the same market and am looking serious at the Tract Toric. I bought a Turion last week and we'll see how well that works. Its likely going on my 06 and taking a walk in the MT elk woods in a few weeks. If the Turion works out, I'll likely put a Toric on my Kimber 270.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I bought a VX5 HD last week for my 338 Norma build. I did not consider the Tract or the Vortex as I just don't rate them and won't have unlocked turrets on a hunting rifle. I would consider a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 before those two scopes.

I also considered the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 but went with the VX5 due to three points which convinced me it was the more suitable scope for my use.
1/ The 3x has a better field of view than almost any other scope in a similar power range. It is better than many high-end 3-9 type scopes.
2/ The CDS ZL2 dial offers significantly more come up than the z5. VX5 is 38 MOA, z5 is only 18 MOA.
3/ On an 8.5lb hunting rifle the forever warranty of the Leupold may be useful.

FWIW I have a z5 3.5-18 on my 6.5 SAUM and they are a great scope, but the new VX5 edged it out in this comparison. Once I get back from work related travel I will sit down and compare the two of them side by side as twilight approaches, and also for the size of the clear spot in the field of view.

This video was interesting, but not compelling as NIOA is the Australian agent for Leupold - the video is very close to a complex advertisement.

Last edited by Adamjp; 10/09/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.