Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any ideas on cabbage soup? I may try a bit of the soup on a cool night.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
This is a very simple, but good, recipe from the old River's Edge restaurant in WV. You got a bowl of this and hush puppies when you sat down. Maybe I am just nostalgic, but it is good and warming by itself, and makes a great base for other soups.

https://delishably.com/vegetable-dishes/Cabbage-Soup-RiversEdgeStyle

(This recipe is for a six quart batch)

Ingredients:

Cabbage - approximately 1/2 of a medium sized head (this depends a lot upon the density of the cabbage. You want to fill about 1/3 of the pot with chopped cabbage)

Celery - 5-6 stalks (enough to cover the top of the cabbage)

Crushed Tomatoes - 28 ounce can

Tomato Juice - 8 ounces

Salt - 2 Tbs

Pepper -1/2 tsp.

Crushed Red Pepper - A few sprinkles
Directions

Rinse and chop the cabbage into about 1 inch squares and place in the bottom of a six quart stock pot.

Clean and chop the celery into about 1/4 inch slices. Put into stock pot on top of the cabbage.

Fill the stock pot up with water to about 3/4 full.

Place pot on burner and bring to a boil. Reduce heat just enough to keep from boiling over and cook until the cabbage and celery are tender but still firm. (approx. 30 minutes)

Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients (Crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper)

Note: You may adjust the salt pepper and crushed red pepper to suit your taste. Some people like it a little spicier some like it a little saltier. Experiment a little at a time.

Stir and serve.

It is really that simple.

Versatility

This recipe can also be used as a base for a more hearty vegetable soup. Just add your choice of vegetables. You can even beef it up and make a vegetable beef by adding cooked stew beef to the mix.

As with many things...taste is subjective. Feel free to modify in any way that best suits your taste. However, for those trying to recreate the recipe for this long gone restaurant, this recipe is for you.

Enjoy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/polish_hunters_stew/

http://polandpoland.com/bigos.html

Bigos is a popular cabbage based soup. There are really no rules or recipes, but in general, use 3 or more meats, bacon, cabbage and sauerkraut, 2 or more types of mushrooms, bay leaves, onion, plums/fruit for sweetness, spices, and anything else that needs to be eaten. Basically the soup was always on the "stove" and everyday stuff was added. So it is a perpetual meal.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is my family's recipe (my mom's from what used to be Czechoslovakia, it's from her mother)
ngredients:

Chuck roast (a few lbs), preferably with bones.

One large head cabbage (green)

One large yellow onion

Two cans of diced tomatoes

Sour salt

Vinegar

Instructions:

Roughly section the chuck roast. You’re going to be cooking it low and slow for a long time, so it will all fall apart anyway. Saute the onions a bit, add in the chuck roast pieces. Brown the meat a bit for 5-10 minutes, then add in water (maybe 8-10 cups or more….depends on how much meat you have).

Let that simmer for a good long time. 2-5 hours or more. As it simmers, add in the canned tomatoes and sour salt. The sour salt gives it a bit of tang, which you can balance out with sugar to your taste. Don’t go overboard…maybe a tablespoon of sour salt to start.

After a few hours, taste the stock and if it’s pretty close to how you want it, start adding the cabbage, chopped into pieces (it’s not artwork…any size you want, but I tend to go with pieces about twice the size of a stamp). Allow that to cook low and slow for a few more hours, tasting as you go along. Add salt and sugar/sour salt to get the taste in the direction you like.

Now, if you’re my mom, you’re going to make some einbrin (see the rotten cauliflower soup recipe) and add it at the end. I don’t roll like that. I go with an einbrin-free cabbage soup, because the einbrin is a thickener and I like my cabbage soup like I like my government: minimal. But in case you like a thicker soup, here's the einbrin recipe (some people call this stuff “roux”). You melt margarine in a saucepan and then add in flour, in roughly equal amounts, stirring constantly, until you end up with small balls or crumbles of barely browned butter/flour mixture. Use your favorite roux recipe if you have one. I’d guess that a quarter cup of finished einbrenn will do, but it’s not a science.

If you REALLY want a treat, add in some extra soup bones at the start. It will make the broth much more hearty and the marrow will be a nice surprise for those who like it.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What is sour salt?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by Terryk; 10/10/17.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Cabbage, chicken stock, 1 large onion chopped, any meat you want to add usually bacon or bacon ends or jowl, a bit of butter, any bell pepper you have on hand and salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. Mighty fine winter eating especially with corn bread.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you are making Borsch.

I made some a few days ago using;

1 can saurkraut

1 can pickled beets

1 ham hock

3 chicken thighs

1 dice onion

1 dice turnip

3 cans chicken broth

1/2 tsp. dill weed

1 tsp garlic

1 tsp black pepper.

turned out pretty good!. (my opinion!) Virgil B.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Any ideas on cabbage soup? I may try a bit of the soup on a cool night.

Wabi, this is my own recipe.

(1) head of cabbage
(2) 32 oz beef broth
(1) 28 oz crushed tomatoes
(1) 10 oz original Rotel
(1) large onion
(1) green bell pepper
Handful of baby carrots
(1) kielbasa ring
(1) Spanish rice package

Chop the cabbage, ad to soup pot first

Add the beef broth and turn heat on medium high while prepping and adding the rest.
Cut the baby carrots sliced twice lengthwise then slice, small pieces. Slice and chop bell pepper, discard seeds. Chop onion fairly fine, add all above to soup pot.
Add crushed tomatoes and Rotel. Drain off the Rotel water first.
Cut kielbasa in 4 chunks, slice the chunks lengthwise twice (quartered) then slice. (Small triangle slices) add kielbasa to soup, stir every 10-15 minutes, reduce to simmer after it starts boiling.
After the cabbage seems to have softened add Spanish rice packet, stir and continue simmer until rice fully cooked.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some day I need to learn to do links,
Check out Chef Leo's camp stew spice.
He gives samples and sells at gunshows grin
It makes a great quick stew.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.