Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I know you are fan of the g17 vs. the g19; can I assume that you consider the 17 as being a better first pistol than the 19?

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I know you are fan of the g17 vs. the g19; can I assume that you consider the 17 as being a better first pistol than the 19?

I would say so, unless you have hands so small as not to matter. For me, the extra grip length makes a difference.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Leaning back towards the Shield.

I would have bought one for $300 when you could buy it direct from the Croatian manufacturer if it had no grip safety. Springfield is an interesting company, one day the LGS employees were pushing any springfield hard and they had all this crap that came with the gun holsters, magazines, carrying case kind of like a lego set I guess. I found out they got points and if they got enough they could get a free gun, which they could sell for cash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I've had a XDS .45 ever since they came out and carry it almost daily. Never had any problem whatsoever with the grip safety. And I prefer it over my Glock 43.

Ditto

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
This wouldn't be my first pistol. Just my first "small enough to carry daily" pistol.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Shield.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The shield is a fine first gun. Is recoil going to be more than a full size Glock 17, well sure, but its not unmanageble and really isn't going to be much more. Since getting CCW in our state many of my friends who are not shooters got along just fine with the shield. If you learn good shooting posture, and practice recoil is nothing on that gun. I would just stay away from .40SW as your first gun and maybe even 45 acp. Again, the shield is a really nice shooter so is the XDS 9mm. You could even look at the Kahr CW9 which is also fantastic.

Its starts with what feels best in your hand. IMO also stay away from the small revolvers like the SW 642. Those are ALOT more harsh to shoot than a small 9 auto. But if the gun feels good in your hand you will shoot it better and recoil won't be a problem.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by deflave
Shield.

Dave

The Shield. Much prefer it to Glock and for me it's a better fit than the Springfield. Easy to shoot well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't like the grip on the Shield - too narrow on the back strap. I like the feel of the G43, although I am not a big fan of Glock. I don't care for the XDs Grip Safety, as I have seen some reports of the safety breaking, which makes it impossible to cycle the slide and get the live round out. You can't fire it to get rid of it either...since the safety is broke.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by semi
The shield is a fine first gun. .

Fail.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 5shot
I don't like the grip on the Shield - too narrow on the back strap.
My feeling exactly. I've shot other people's Shields and couldn't hit much with them, but shoot my Glock 43 just fine. I also shoot the Ruger LC9S Pro just fine. Not the Shield, though.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Originally Posted by deflave
Shield.

Dave

The Shield. Much prefer it to Glock and for me it's a better fit than the Springfield. Easy to shoot well.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 5shot
I don't like the grip on the Shield - too narrow on the back strap.
My feeling exactly. I've shot other people's Shields and couldn't hit much with them, but shoot my Glock 43 just fine. I also shoot the Ruger LC9S Pro just fine. Not the Shield, though.

Goes along with what I mentioned before, get the one that YOU like the best in your hands. Find one to shoot if you can before you buy. I wear XL gloves and shoot them all fine, but prefer the Shield and G43 over the XDS.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I've got a xds in 45 after a magazine it starts chewing up my hand also have a khar cw9 that I carry daily accuracy is wonderful and fits the hand better

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Keep in mind that the xds was designed for the 45 cap. It's an awesome little gun. I don't have one in 9mm because They only hold but maybe ONE more round. I have zero experience with the shield. Check out smith and Wesson forum though. For the record, I love my xds 45 acp. It's one of the very first ones,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
XD-S in .45. It's never failed in many hundreds of rounds. Exceptionally accurate. Slim. Ugly as all get out.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both the Shield in 9mm and the XDs in .45 acp. Of those two I like and shoot the Shield better. That said, I like my Kahr, CW9 better than either of them and that's what I carry the most.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Shield or XD-S 3.3, 9mm for daily carry?

Neither.

Can them both & get a Glock 26 or 27 & carry it in a Remora holster; thank me later.

Add the Pearce extension to the mag & grind the curved end off straight. Not a pocket gun, but if you don't mind a little bulge (most don't) it'll carry in a jeans front pocket.

Enough firepower & accurate enough to 25 yards.

MM

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like my shield 9, 1000 RNDS and no bobles. accurate for what it is. Easily concealed, and comfortable.

LC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I jumped on the G43 and Shield bandwagon, in 9mm, then a shield 45. Of the 3 I like the Shield 45 ACP the best. Now after all the fuss about the single stack 9 mm guns my daily carry gun is a G27 in a kydex holster with the pierce +1 extensions. Odd after all the hubbub I am back where we all started.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While the G27 is a little sporty for some to shoot, the bigger grip compared to the Shield in any caliber, still makes it handle better than the smaller grip guns, but obviously at the expense of being a little less amenable to straight pocket carry.

For those liking a little less sporty, the G26 is great too.

I will say that my wife has a S&W M&P Compact & that is also a really nice shooting & accurate pistol as well in a comparable sized package to the G26/27 & I like it a lot too & would be perfectly content with that as my EDC.

MM

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.