Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have to ask this here as there is no handgun reloading section. I have a good quantity of CCI magnum small pistol primers on hand and far less of Winchester regular small pistol primers. If I use the magnum primers in place of the regular ones, do I need to reduce the amount of powder any and if so, by how much? I use Unique and Titegroup powders, of which I have a good quantity on hand. I load for .38 Spl, 9 MM, .380 ACP

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Aren’t the Winchester primers magnum, I mean aren’t they equivalent to magnum primers? I know the large pistol primers are.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The Win LP are marked standard/magnum, but the small pistol are not.

Henry, if you're not working with max loads (I'm guessing not with Unique and Titegroup) in most cases you can substitute magnum pistol primers without any pressure problems. Velocity may jump up a little; the chronograph will tell you for sure what the change is with each load.

One potential issue to keep in mind is that pistols with light hammer/striker springs may have more difficulty igniting magnum primers. This can present as either failures to fire, or large ES in velocity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering
The Win LP are marked standard/magnum, but the small pistol are not.

Henry, if you're not working with max loads (I'm guessing not with Unique and Titegroup) in most cases you can substitute magnum pistol primers without any pressure problems. Velocity may jump up a little; the chronograph will tell you for sure what the change is with each load.

One potential issue to keep in mind is that pistols with light hammer/striker springs may have more difficulty igniting magnum primers. This can present as either failures to fire, or large ES in velocity.

This is your answer. I've never used Small Pistol magnums but routinely use Large Pistol Magnum primers (CCI) with reduced 44 mag loads when using Unique. I seem to get a cleaner burn. I did work up my loads using Magnum primers. Same is true for 44 Special.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jwp475

Aren’t the Winchester primers magnum, I mean aren’t they equivalent to magnum primers? I know the large pistol primers are.

They make a WSP and a WSPM.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by jwp475

They make a WSP and a WSPM.

👍🏻
Don’t load with small pistol primers and wasn’t sure.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not meant as a bash, just a clarification. I hate unanswered questions, it's a failing of mine. sick

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Not meant as a bash, just a clarification. I hate unanswered questions, it's a failing of mine. sick

Never took it as a bash.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the responses. I'm in good shape now on primers, but just looking towards the future. I have a lot more magnum primers on hand than regular and currently only use the magnums for .357s. I shoot a lot more .38, 9mm, and .380s than I do .357s. I probably have more than a lifetime supply of magnum primers if I only use them for .357s. Or, maybe I will live a lot longer than I expect to? ;-)

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back when primers were hard to find, I had an abundance of small magnum primers. I worked up loads and found very little difference in small magnum vs regular primers. Even in hot loads.

Yondering pretty much said it all.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've even used small rifle primers in place of regular pistol primers on several occasions before. I've never noticed a darned bit of difference in the handgun rounds.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.