Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That would be cool and fun! I'd make sure I had a backup in case of heavy blowing rain, but you say thats not possible so no biggie. But if you are parked close by the Whelen, you'll be fine if weather is a disaster.

ALways wanted to mess with one for the heck of it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It takes a pretty steep slope on the front fly to shed rain. It will pool up behind the stretched front edge. You might have to sleep with a long stick to reach up and lift it to drain the water every now and again.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
some good points there.

I cut sticks from home depot lumber so I won't be dependent upon cutting down thin trees, although finding a pair of big trees spaced just right should be feasible in northern AZ.

Poole

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Long fire with a fire/heat deflector and you'll be toasty - may have to feed it 2 or 3 times during the night. Line the inside with a cheap foil safety blanket and it will keep some of that heat. Be mindful of the wind - for me it either blows smoke in or heat out. I stick to tents these days.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Back in the early 60's we used a reflector design on our moose hunts. We used trees and brush covered with a tarp (for shedding rain.) With a large fire heat will collect inside although I wouldn't want to be out in -20 weather. Trouble is at the end of a week you will come out reeking of smoke. Without finding a shower some where you probably will not be able to live with yourself long enough to drive home.

Jim

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Looks to be too heavy for backpacking.

Might work in AZ specially when needing shade from the hot sun. But entirely impractical for a Colorado Rocky Mountain elk hunt. In a snow storm with some wind, it could be a nightmare. It could be the same as having no tent at all, in that situation.

Neat design though. MikeS gave you major style points and I agree. But some things that look good may not always be that practical in certain situations.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Definitely not a backpacking tent! (at least not the canvas version) and certainly not that big sleeping bag and cot.

Of course the Dutch Oven I'll have with me is not a backpacking campstove either.

those 4 items I mentioned above probably total 100lbs.

Poole

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Tom338
to me the only way it would be comfortable sleeping at -20 would be with it totally enclosed and a wood stove inside.

Exactly. I don't care how much "reflection" that fabric offers.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bill Poole: That IS the coolest looking set-up!
Good for you.
I have on several occasions back pack Rifle Hunted for Elk at elevations just over 8,000".
Staying warm at night is indeed a concern.
Getting out of bed in the morning is no breeze either.
The season's I have Hunted the opener varied between about October 21st to October 25th.
It IS cool at night in the high country then.
We used lightweight two man back pack tents- not much warmth retained by these at all.
I am going to save your link and show it to my Hunting partner and see if maybe we should cache a couple of those Whelen Lean To's next summer near our favored haunt.
Good luck this season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I spent 6 days and nights up in the Northern Arizona Elk country!

I think the coldest night was 30F that's +30! 50 degrees more toasty than the good Col Whelen claims it can be used.... I did not build a fire in front of it. My sleeping bag is just fine.

Never got wet so I could not test the water proof or shedding capability. In 2015 this same hunt rained every day. This year, not a drop.

The Whelen looks even nicer surrounded by trees!

[Linked Image]

but then.... when we got 20 to 35 mph winds gusting to 50 on Friday only.

[Linked Image]

It was nice set up!

In my group of 4, my son got the one elk.

Poole

Last edited by Bill Poole; 10/27/17.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.