Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I'm in the market for a long range rifle and I'm undecided as to which way to go. I've got some good, accurate bolt actions but nothing that is my go to rifle for long range. It's use would be deer hunting, occasional coyote hunting and target shooting. Based on the broad use I don't want a heavy barrel as I cover a lot of ground when I hunt. I also enjoy shooting itty bitty groups as well as long range shooting (perhaps out to 600 yards on targets). The easy route would be to buy the Sako L691 .270 Winchester I've been eyeing up lately. My other consideration is to buy a high quality custom barrel and either build a standard weight sporter on a commercial Mauser action in .270 or 30-06 (if it's a Mauser I'm going to be traditional) or to do up a heavy sporter on a trued Remington 700 action, likely in 6.5 Creedmoor. No matter what it will be a blued steel and walnut sort of rifle simply because that is my taste.

Looking at pricing, either semi-custom option will run 50% more cost than the Sako I was looking at. Given that I enjoy shooting small groups and I like to shoot targets at long range how much do you think I stand to gain in terms of accuracy with a high quality custom barrel on a Mauser or a trued Remington over a factory Sako rifle? I used to own a semi-custom 6mm BR and I miss its accuracy potential. I'm no longer interested in competitive shooting and I want a versatile, highly accurate rifle that can be the best compromise of accuracy, power and portability.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Building on a 700 or one of its spinoffs sure keeps things simple. With that being said, my go to rifle for coyotes and white tails is a custom L579 in 243 with a brux 26" 1-8 twist shooting 95g burgers. I really like the way those old sako stocks with the high cheek piece fit. I had it pillar bedded and she is a rock solid outfit. On the custom barrel deal I'm fiddling with a custom model 75 sako for a buddy of mine and can't get under an inch so far. I've tried 3 bullets and five powders, so a custom barrel doesn't always guarantee anything.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My love for commerical Mausers is completely irrational, and I have owned some that shot extremely well, but for pure accuracy I’d choose a 700, then a Sako, then a Model 70, then a Mauser.

If you go blue and walnut, why not buy the Sako, test it and see what happens? You might have a real treasure on your hands. You might also want to run the numbers on any work that will be required to get the Sako up to snuff. That stuff can get surprisingly expensive in a hurry.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those Sako's are usually really accurate, I would probably go that route first. If it doesn't shoot for some strange reason you can always get a new barrel installed. I had a take off barrel from a 85 Bavarian installed on my L691. it would be a lot cheaper to go that way and Sako barrels are usually really good. You might luck out and find a heavy barrel 6.5x55 or something like that.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Do you plan to use a rangefinder for your deer/coyote hunting, and what is your accuracy requirement of the rifle? Any chance it would be used on bigger stuff (moose or black bear)?

Last edited by patbrennan; 10/03/17.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got a NIB Sako Bavarian in 7 Rem Mag I'd sell for $1,295 shipped, if interested.

Last edited by Biebs; 10/09/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SAKO! It will still be worth more and the end of your day IF you are not pleased with it. I love mine.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't know nearly as much about it as some of these guys but I wouldn't build a custom anything until I knew exactly what I wanted,and the reason I had to build it was because that was the best way to get exactly what I wanted. I think until you know that,you are just wasting money on a shot in the dark.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Fraser
I'm in the market for a long range rifle and I'm undecided as to which way to go. I've got some good, accurate bolt actions but nothing that is my go to rifle for long range. It's use would be deer hunting, occasional coyote hunting and target shooting. Based on the broad use I don't want a heavy barrel as I cover a lot of ground when I hunt. I also enjoy shooting itty bitty groups as well as long range shooting (perhaps out to 600 yards on targets). The easy route would be to buy the Sako L691 .270 Winchester I've been eyeing up lately. My other consideration is to buy a high quality custom barrel and either build a standard weight sporter on a commercial Mauser action in .270 or 30-06 (if it's a Mauser I'm going to be traditional) or to do up a heavy sporter on a trued Remington 700 action, likely in 6.5 Creedmoor. No matter what it will be a blued steel and walnut sort of rifle simply because that is my taste.

Looking at pricing, either semi-custom option will run 50% more cost than the Sako I was looking at. Given that I enjoy shooting small groups and I like to shoot targets at long range how much do you think I stand to gain in terms of accuracy with a high quality custom barrel on a Mauser or a trued Remington over a factory Sako rifle? I used to own a semi-custom 6mm BR and I miss its accuracy potential. I'm no longer interested in competitive shooting and I want a versatile, highly accurate rifle that can be the best compromise of accuracy, power and portability.

A Mauser in 6.5X55 Swede with a 1/8 twist barrel throated for the 147 ELD-M would be a nice rifle.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Do what I did...

Buy the Sako and have it rebarreled to exactly what you want by a top end Bench rest gun smith.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Go Sako!!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A Sako 85 Hunter (comes in blued steel and nice wood stock) can be had in various chamberings, and has a sub MOA accuracy guarantee. I would go that route before wasting tons of money and months and months of time dealing with gunsmiths, only then to roll the dice, accuracy wise.

A Sako in 6.5 Swede would do well for coyotes and deer, and still be light recoiling enough that target shooting with it would be enjoyable.

Euro optic has a fair selection of sakos in stock to choose from right now. That would be the direction I would be heading.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I went with a SAKO semi custom. It's an AIII re-barreled by Clay Spencer w/BRUX to 6mm-06 with a McMillan Classic and it shoots tiny groups.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Unless set on the SAKO which are great I would buy a Howa barreled action for $250 at PT&G if the barrel was not to my liking then no problem getting a custom and you are still ahead of a SAKO. SAKOs are really smooth but the Howa can be polished up nicely and will work smoothly. If the lugs are honed and the action face and bolt are square then it will be as accurate as the barrel is.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by smokinggun

I went with a SAKO semi custom. It's an AIII re-barreled by Clay Spencer w/BRUX to 6mm-06 with a McMillan Classic and it shoots tiny groups.

[Linked Image]

That is a great looking rifle, but for the sake of discussion, let me say I can't see the logic in doing that unless you got a screaming deal on the action. You could easily be in that action $700, and for that money you could go a few hundred dollars more and use a custom clone of a Rem 700 that would give you far more options in terms of scope mounts (how many places offer a 20MOA base for a Sako AIII?) or bottom metal or triggers.

But yours looks like a great blueprint and I am sure that with Clay and a Brux barrel it shoots bugholes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by utah708
Originally Posted by smokinggun

[Linked Image]

That is a great looking rifle, but for the sake of discussion, let me say I can't see the logic in doing that unless you got a screaming deal on the action. You could easily be in that action $700, and for that money you could go a few hundred dollars more and use a custom clone of a Rem 700 that would give you far more options in terms of scope mounts (how many place offer a 20MOA base for a Sako AIII?) or bottom metal or triggers.

But yours looks like a great blueprint and I am sure that with Clay and a Brux barrel it shoots bugholes.

Thanks for the compliments. You are exactly right, I really had to fret over whether or not to do this. I did get a screaming deal on the action. When I purchased the rifle for less than $400, it was missing the bolt, the stock was cracked, the finish on the receiver was(still is) discolored, and it was chambered in 270Win. After a long time looking, I finally found a replacement bolt and was able to sell the cracked stock and the original barrel. At 3350 FPS, I'm hoping I won't need a 20MOA base. So, I took a rifle that I had no use for and turned it into something I've always wanted.

Yep, I've got some coin in it and I'd still like to send it off to Robar for a NP3 PLUS finish.

It's too heavy to carry all day, and that leads me to another rifle I may have spent too much money on: My Kimber Adirondack re-barreled by Clay (HART barrel) in 6x47 Lapua. cry

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
It looks like an amazing gun, and thanks for not taking umbrage at my critique of it as a general model. It sounds like you rescued the best parts of that rifle, and turned nothing into something cool. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat, and I am a bit put off by people who say (or imply) "only action X is worth using" or "only scope Z is worth the price," etc.

A good barrel, installed by a competent smith, bedded into a rigid stock, will almost certainly make the nut behind the trigger the limiting factor.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd order a Barrett Fieldcraft in 22-250.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go factory first. Get familiar with it, and what you "miss" that customizing would help. THEN go custom.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You will look long and hard to find a sako that doesn't shoot good....rem 700s are cheap and easy to put togather....parts and upgrades are everywhere....Mausers are cool but the cost of doing one right just doesn't make sence these days....think about a Winchester classic...new haven production....if you like blue and wood those FW are nece....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,822
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.