Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
They found another infected deer in south central/west Michigan.

Maybe one of these days they will stop the damned baiting.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
any idea where? What county?

“Lighten up Francis”
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Mecosta County this time.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great, i just bought a place south of there in Montcalm county. Never dealt with CWD before, hope to avoid it as long as possible.

“Lighten up Francis”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
GET THE FACTS. HERE THEY ARE WITH RICH JONES SAYING IT. HE IS THE SENATE DISTRICT 24 ALONG WITH D&R, RULE BOOK SAYS PAGE 38 -29-40 FOR CWD. OUT OF 768,000 DEER., THERE WERE 348,00 ABOUT THAT MANY DEER TAKING. OUT OF THAT THERE WERE 16 DEER WITH CWD 13 OF THEM GAME FARMS 1 SUSPECT 2 OFF STATE LAND CLOSE TO WHERE THESE WERE FOUND. NOW 16 DIVED BY 348,000 = 0.000046%, SEEM TO ME JUST SHUT DOWN DEER FARMS NO MORE PROBLEMS. THESE DEER COMMING IN ARE NOT CHECK OR TESTED FOR DISEASES. BUT THE HUNTER ARE TO BLAME NOT DEER FARMS

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
It was Southwest Montcalm Co.

The state shot thousands of deer and tested thousands more. 10 cases. I'd bet that if every killed deer in the state was tested, there would be small pockets scattered about that nobody even knew about.

EHD killed 20,000 in 2012. That was a crisis, but it didnt create half the insanity these 10 did.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
3 1/2 yo doe shot by a youth hunter in Montcalm Township, Montcalm County.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
No matter where the somewhat scattered findings came from, it is here.
I really doubt it ever totally goes away.
I would bet that the we will see the small percentage stated above grow.
I am personally against game farms and baiting and would like to see both go away.
But there still were some findings in wild deer, more that were not tested/found and surely
more to come.
Guess we will just stay tuned.
Tim

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
From the 2017 Michigan Hunting Digest.

"Since the initial finding of CWD on May 20, 2015 eight additional free-ranging deer were positively confirmed with CWD.".....

"In addition, two white-tailed deer were submitted for monitoring by a Privately_Owned cervid (POC) facility in Mecosta County
were positively confirmed with CWD on January 17,2017."

Not sure of findings since then, but sure to be more out there.

Albert Einstein

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Current number is 10, after 28 months of testing

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well we can always hope that the count will dwindle away.
I believe that Aids started with a low count also........as does most everything.
Some disappears, some grows geometrically.

Albert Einstein

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm not sure completely wiping out the herd in the infected areas are going to do any good. Prions ( the infectious agent) can't be readily killed. It lives in the soil where the infected herd resides. It will surely spread.

The fear was in the early 2000s that these were the same prions that cause Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans. Sort of like mad cow disease. Colorado had it in the elk herd on the western slope. The DOW took the heads of the cows we killed in 2005 for analysis. They advised use to soak our knives for 24 hrs in an 50/50 bleach and water bath because of the CWD panic. It ruined 2 of my knives, one was an old school Marbles that my wife got me. The other was a knife my dad gave me my very first deer season - a Schrade folder - flaked the steel all over the blade.

We should see if Wisconsin's scorched earth strategy worked before wiping our our herd.. They got infected 2001.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Until they take the profit motive out of raising huge bucks for game farms, their operators will continue to ship large deer around for both sale and for breeding. I have spoken with several that operate these things. The money factor is huge. All one needs is a pickup and a horse trailer, regardless of the rules. Like anything, if the profit is there, people will break the law. Furthermore, I know of several huge deer that were shot from said ranches that wondered off after a tree fell on the fence and were later shot off the ranch or farm.

I would feel bad for the people that have these operations as many are quite large and represent a huge investment,
if the state shut them down. However, whats more important, a few people's livelihood or the whole deer hunting economy in Michigan? For those out of state, the "deer hunting economy" in Michigan is huge. The state should just buy them out and then outlaw the practice completely; as it would probably save money in the long run. Just as it wouldn't hurt to eliminate all baiting. I am not saying these actions would cure the problem, but why allow these things that can only make control more difficult. Kind of like Ebola in Africa, when the CDC in their wisdom allowed people from those areas to fly into the US, made no sense whatsoever.

I hunt in Montcalm County east of the latest discovery and we tested 4 of 5 we shot last year. All were negative.

Michigan better get its sheet together or we will all be hunting deer elsewhere.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I just heard this morning they found another one in Sydney Township ##$@!. I also was reading about how previously one of the deer farmers in the Morley area borrowed deer heads from a deer processor to complete his deer testing requirements (i.e. he was running behind on his testing) so the A-hole gets several deer heads from a local processor and submits those heads for testing instead of the heads from deer on his farm. Two of the heads tested positive. What a F-head. A-hole should be shot. Sorry, now they have no idea where the heads came from. Some might say he did good because we would never know about the two that were discovered had he not tried to cheat, regardless, this goes back to my previous post above. This is bad.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
CWD was first found in Colorado in 1967.
Now it is found in 25 states and two provinces.

No, don't worry about it. It They have only found a small percentage here in Michigan.

Well, it sure worries me. I would like for game farms and baiting to be abolished for starters, but.........
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's there and it isn't going away. Arkansas didn't have CWD a few years ago, according to fish and game. Now they have infection rates so high that it is readily apparent tehy have had it for 15-20 years. Point is, no one noticed for nearly 20 years. I am not sure what it will do to hunting, as I don't know how many folks will want to eat a deer out of a herd with a 20% infection rate.

Last edited by K1500; 10/25/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 71 invisible), 3,521 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.