Glad to help!

Virgil B.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bob,

Ahhhhhhh the memories. Had a rather nice arrangement back in the day,with a coupla landowners near Fort Rock. We greased skids with totes of fish(which is easily arranged on a Dragger) and they kept in good communique,as per when they were cutting. Managed to shoot 3500rds one day and it was the best I've ever seen. Membership has it's privileges.(grin)

Had some better than average wares then,but Today's LRF's and Optics woulda been veddy veddy welcome.

I've always had a great appreciation for Skookum Rimfires,if only because trigger time crosses over nicely...no matter the headstamp.

Lotsa folks overlook that obvious.

'33,

Fixed Fhuqkers have no equal and will capably cover the gamut,upon a myriad of platforms. For a dedicated Giggles Rifle,the 10x MQ connects all dots. It's parallax adjustment,is without equal in it's versatility. The erector travel is just simply huge and the reticle melds all. There's only (8) 10x MQ's in the images above. Of course those platforms are more Niche-esque,as the vibe is more towards Precision than Utility. For a straight up Utility rifle,the 6x MQ is without peer. You reap greater FOV,it'll shove more light in your face and is more rounded in it's versatility. For the applicatiion(s) you cite,it'd be nothing other than a 6x MQ for me.

I'd go Bob's 25MOA extended 1913 rail,for both ring spacing and inclination. Rings would be 'Horn's,as 65MOA in total,is a nice start on a Rimfire,for Long Range FUN. It'd make for a fhuqking wicked platform and you will never regret having such splendor at your finger tips. Hop on Virgil's nudge or I will,as I've pards just minutes away from the larder.(grin)

I'd knock the barrel back to 18" or so,hit it with some paint and drive the schit out of it,never looking back.

Do it.

'fiable,

That's where I'd lay my loot,in regards to bang for the buck...though the Finnfire's are certainly welllllllll above "average". The 54 triggers alone,will ruin a guy.

The Custom run of 75MOA rails,were one of my best ideas ever and I'm glad Bob took it on...even though I'm sure he's still scratching his head.(grin)

Nobody regrets a KILLER rimfire.

NOBODY.

vb,

That's a fair deal and purty tempting.

Twist my arm...I dare ya'.(grin)

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Really regret doing this but have to pass on the finnfire at this moment. No rifle buying for me till the new year - have to be responsible etc. Fellow campfirers should jump on it though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Stick;

The Finnfire is still available! (GRIN!)

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick,

I have been bitten bad by the rimfire bug the last couple years and doubly infected by the peer pressure of my best buddy who has also been bitten. Between us we have some sweet rimfires and I am enjoying the heck out of giving them a work out along with testing every darned type of ammo I can afford! wink
I find I have a big grin every time I shoot the rimfires and the tiny little groups some of them shoot would make any shooter grin- not getting beat up while doing it is icing on the cake....

My buddy has taken to Oregon Kimber products and I have shot a few of his, including his Super America 223. Very nice rifles and the triggers are just about the best I've ever felt, including my 52C and 40X triggers, which are top of the line IMO.

Planning a several day sage rat trip this next spring in your favorite neighborhood. We have a couple places down near Fort Rock, and thereabouts (can't give out all our "secret" spots) and make a pile of dead rats.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sheister

My buddy has taken to Oregon Kimber products and I have shot a few of his, including his Super America 223. Very nice rifles and the triggers are just about the best I've ever felt, including my 52C and 40X triggers, which are top of the line IMO.

That sounds like what I need for a training rifle!
Never had a small bore centerfire and have always admired the 84M's!
.....maybe a bit more than I'd care to spend though. Probably end up with a 1-8 .223 X-bolt or RAR.

Last edited by DollarShort; 10/20/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you do get a .223, don't be surprised if you find yourself shooting it a lot more than any of your other rifles. Most of them are extremely accurate, easy to load for, cheap ammo, brass, and components available just about anywhere. And they don't beat you up when you shoot them all day long. I never get bored shooting my 223 or 223 AI and the accuracy with my handloads is pretty darned amazing.... A good Kimber 82 .22 rimfire will give you a lot of the same benefits and be cheaper to shoot. You can pick up either in a Kimber for around $800-1200. A lot less for the Remington, Winchester, and other models unless it is a premium model with pretty wood or premium glass stock.

Bob

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sheister
If you do get a .223, don't be surprised if you find yourself shooting it a lot more than any of your other rifles. Most of them are extremely accurate, easy to load for, cheap ammo, brass, and components available just about anywhere. And they don't beat you up when you shoot them all day long. I never get bored shooting my 223 or 223 AI and the accuracy with my handloads is pretty darned amazing.... A good Kimber 82 .22 rimfire will give you a lot of the same benefits and be cheaper to shoot. You can pick up either in a Kimber for around $800-1200. A lot less for the Remington, Winchester, and other models unless it is a premium model with pretty wood or premium glass stock.

Bob

I used to look at the old Remington single shots at the pawn shops, and have drooled over some Annies and 52's at the gun shows. Almost bought an old pre ww2 Walther trainer once.

But I'm pretty happy shooting my 883 and 39M. They're classics in my eyes, and not bad shooters.

The 39 has a surprisingly crisp and light trigger, if you don't mind a little overtravel. And it'll put about a hundred in a row in an inch at 50 yards without much thought.

And I got an old 60 that I might get a trigger and put a big telescope on so I can call it a target rifle. Maybe even spring for a fancy stock to set'r in.

I'm always tempted by a hornet or a triple-deuce. But a fast twist bolt action carbine .223's versatility and ammo just makes too much sense to not be next, and maybe last, on the list. Target toy. Trainer. Hunter. Lightweight woods companion. It could serve a lot of roles.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Stick,

No love for the 77/22? I bought a blued/synthetic version a while back and after bedding and minor trigger work it's pretty deadly.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
vb,

Don't be afeared to lowball me...I've seen me buckle.(grin)

Bob,

A good '54 trigger will ruin a guy, There's a Mantra here: "Shoot the Anschutzeseses LAST...not first"...because you'll be hating on everything else all day.(grin)

Happiness is a Killer 22LR,good LRF,a scope with huge erector travel,a good windshield and some ammo the platform loves,at 500yds ++. Whatta riot!

I'd go Kimber SVT in 22LR,due the S/S spout and stock ergo's. Dangle a Bob 25MOA rail,Horn rings with 40 MOA more,10x MQ and a guy is in good shape to dazzle the crowd,routinely.

Long Range LR is where it's at.

'short,

A Killer 22LR will get a guy further faster,than any other platform there is.

I prolly have Hornets,K-Hornets,Deuces,223's,223AI's,22 Grendels,224Wby,22-250's,22-250AI's,Swifts and CHeetah's...amongst others. 883's are dog schit,60's are too and 39's pale as Precision goes. I have all the T-shirts and then some.

Unfortunately,nobody does a high RPM 223 correctly,though a Plain Jane Krunchenticker will reliably blow minds.

Holster the Hubble and the Fluff.

Hint.

'flave,

I've long been a fan of 77/22's and have BT/DT throughout the lineage.

[Linked Image]

As Rimfire 77's go,I'm prolly sweetest on my McMillan stocked,RB triggered,LW Clark barreled(18" .720") Hummer. It is rather Skookum...yet pales to the 1717D HB.

[Linked Image]

Getting to be KHorn Season.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Though I slum some Sleepers,to keep folks on their toes.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hopin' the Vudoo V-22 will shoot under 3" at the 100yd line.(grin)

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah, I thought you had one or two that you liked.

Which pattern McMillan is that?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Vudoo said they started shipping their first orders on Friday. I know mine wont be on the first batch, but its a step in the right direction.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ha! Thank God for the internet! Otherwise I wouldn't have known that my 243 was only marginal for coyotes, and now I find out that my svelte little 39M won't shoot!😂

Seriously though, I've often considered a bolt action 22LR. But always figured if I was going to get one it might as well have a heavy 25" barrel as to keep it quiet as could be.

I'll agree that the 883 and 60 aren't ideal (though I don't think a 1022 is either). But I kinda like the 12 and 18 tube mags.
I've often contemplated trading the 883 off for a Ruger American Compact in 22 Mag, if only to save a half pound and a half a foot(and the 60° bolt would be a welcome addition by subtraction also)

About the not done right, obviously I haven't done all the research on factory 1-8 offerings. But considering an x-bolt and I thought a Ruger American could shoot the Nato rounds I figured they'd have a bit of lead for the longer boolits. And I don't know the COAL limitations on the likely unalterable plastimags.

Near as I can figure, a Krunchenticker is either a DA/SA(which don't compute), or possibly a 700, which I had considered in a youth model ADL(although I think these only came in .243), but had only given it and it's 1-9" barrel a passing glance. I had thought of the ADL because of it's lighter weight, but apparently there is some virtue to the posibbly more easily worked DBM's.

Last edited by DollarShort; 10/22/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been eyeing a few Anschutz lately and may have a moment of weakness one of these days and plunk down some money for one just to see what all the fuss is about. Don't know if I could stand another great rimfire in the safe, but I would try to live with it. If'n I had a 500 yard range readily available I would certainly be making good use of it. Happy for you having access to such a great stress reliever as a long range and lots of wares to test...

Still love those pics of those little Sitka blacktails with the red horns. Just cool little critters....

Bob

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anybody got their hands one one of the new Vudoo V22 Rimfire trainers yet?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,552
Posts18,453,601
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.