Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
How long does it take? I sent mine in on the 15th of September, when do you think I should start to wonder about it?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You and me both as I did my renewall about the same time, I think its expected to be about 6 weeks but could be as long as 8.
If there is an issue they will contact you and they are usually pretty good, not sure what to do if things go south.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you, it was interesting getting the PAL, but I don't want to have to do it again.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Richard--why would you bother with one--surely your not gonna buy ammo in Canada.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks Karl, I got the PAL five years ago, and picked two Cooey's in Canada, a twenty gauge, and a 22.

The Canada customs man was a bit surly last August when I declared the shotgun shells. He calmed down when I produced the PAL card.

I get your point about the price of ammo, for sure.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, I got my application kicked back at me. I guess since I am a nonresident, they want my local police to run a background check. Then I have to send that back. I wonder if I was stopped on the road, how much would come up on the computer?

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I received my pal renewal ahead of schedule just the other day. If you were stopped and they asked you to produce your pal then there would be a problem, however I have never been asked by the mounties nor a conservation officer for a pal. Fact is many mounties dont know the law regarding gun laws in Canada and if my pal was slow in coming it wouldn't stop me from hunting in my home province.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Richard--does it cost you for a background check locally?
I have been involved with adult education classes here locally for many years now--we have a guy from Thunder Bay come down and teach the Pal course every couple of years or so. I help with the paperwork and application process--as you know it's a 4 page application with pictures and guarantors etc.--furthmore if you are aboriginal there is an additional 5 page application so you don't have to pay the $60 processing fee.
You wouldn't believe how many get tossed back for some really weird reasons. I once had a native couple where the husband was a C-31 Indian--that means he got his status back after 1985--his wife was born an Indian and duly registered as such--hers was rejected when I called the 1-800 number and asked about it I was told she didn't look Indian enough. I wish I could have had that conversation recorded.
Here's something else I noticed--I know a number of people who have had firearms confiscated--sometimes they get them back if they jump thru the proper hoops but they never get any clips back with them. If they aren't disposing of them regularly I'll bet there is a big box of .303 clips at the local OPP station.
If you keep at it you will eventually get your PAL --the powers that be are just letting you know who the Kings Regents really are.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Karl, five years ago, the county sheriff's office did not charge, I was told, there will be a charge for a fax. I'm getting short on time. You are so spot on the powers that be.

A
A
Best bet is to start calling them about 3 weeks before the expiry, ....they're understaffed and seem to like taking their time Just to let you know they have control. Lots of folks have had a long wait recently, .....often beyond their expiry.

A stranger is a friend we haven't met!
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I just called the office in Orillia, Ontario, They received the fax my local sheffif's office sent yesterday. I hope the card arrives soon.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine was delayed because of an altercation I had .I was threatened and stood my ground and there was a police report. I was told directly this held it up until I was interviewed by them. After we spoke it was issued and I was treated respectfully.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 673
I received my pal renewal ahead of schedule just the other day. If you were stopped and they asked you to produce your pal then there would be a problem, however I have never been asked by the mounties nor a conservation officer for a pal. Fact is many mounties dont know the law regarding gun laws in Canada and if my pal was slow in coming it wouldn't stop me from hunting in my home province.

I've been asked to produce a PAL by a mountie. My last one took over 6 months and they deliberately held onto it until my current one had expired. Had my friendly MP straighten them out for me, got it in 3 days after that phone call.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I received the card today.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.