Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My 14 year old son and I will be visiting the Eastern Cape in July of 18'. Will be looking at general plains game, Zebra/Gemsbuck at the large end. I have a Tikka T3 in .300 Win. Mag. and just preordered a new Tikka Stainless Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor for my son. Looking for recommendations on factory loads for both and optics for the 6.5. My initial thought for the 6.5 is Leupold VX 5 3-15 44mm firedot. Thank you in advance.

GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Whatever well constructed bullet that shoots well for you. Think swift A-frames, Nolser partitions or accubonds, Barnes TTSX, etc. I would suggest bullets toward the heavier end of the range 180-200 grains in the .300 and 130-140 grains in the 6.5.

More importantly buy or make a set of shooting sticks similar to the ones your PH will use and do a TON of practicing with you and your son. If you haven't already done so train yourselves to reload the rifle while keeping the rifle shouldered and to do so as soon as you have finished your follow through. Every PH I have hunted with (3) always said" reload" immediately following a shot and wanted me prepared for a follow up shot if necessary.

Go online and buy the Kevin Robertson perfect shot book. Read it, study the pictures.

Do more practicing, both live fire and dry fire.

If you are not in shape get in shape, the further you can walk and the more hills you can climb day after day will improve your chances for success and increase your enjoyment.

Bring two good quality pocket cameras, one for you and your son. Take tons of pictures.

More advice than what you asked for.

Where in the esatern cape are you going?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A lot of practice is a good idea.

At least with the professional hunters I've hunted with, a whole lot of walking wasn't needed. I think they all could have made a paraplegic successful.

I used 200 grain Accubonds out of my 300 Weatherby on my last trip and it worked really well on a Gemsbok, a bunch of Springbok, etc.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
GRF, Not sure where in the Eastern Cape. Going with a group from church, work for a week on a construction project and then go hunting. The program is through huntsa.com. Thanks for the advice, not sure where to find shooting sticks. Perhaps I will search youtube for video on making a set. I will pickup the book you recommend.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
1800; the eastern cape is lovely you will really enjoy it. YouTube is always useful for figuring out stuff. I have made shootings sticks out of hardware dowels, the shooting sticks the PHs have out of some skinny reed are much more rigid than the hardwood dowels.

all the best with your preparations and please be so kind as to post pictures and stories after your hunt.

GRF

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
A lot of practice is a good idea.

At least with the professional hunters I've hunted with, a whole lot of walking wasn't needed. I think they all could have made a paraplegic successful.

GRF and I have hunted with the same guy in the Eastern Cape. I requested that I hunt and stalk and not shoot from the vehicle, or near the vehicle. I got my wish. Most nights my legs were cramping and feet sore. I was unsure if I could go the next day. But rest and a little ibuprofen got me ready for the next day.

Due to back injuries I am not the most mobile person. But the PH kept learned my limitations and together I got to where I needed to be.

Hunting Africa will spoil you and change you forever. Do not be surprised if you immediately want to go again.

GRF, weren't the shooting sticks bamboo or something similar?

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Shoot what your gun likes!!

If you're shooting factory, Try the heavies from different manufacturers (It can get expensive BUT if you're buy a Leupold VX-5......) Then if no satisfactory groups, work down,

For most plains game, any big game bullet will suffice and your standard "deer rifle" for America will not be out of place. Any 270 and above, 3-9 scope, etc....

Now, AFRICA - well that is enough justification for a new rifle, scope, etc - It's not needed but it's an excuse!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
bamboo does makes sense now yu mention, thin and quite rigid.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Practice shooting on sticks sitting and standing--- a lot

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by GRF
bamboo does makes sense now yu mention, thin and quite rigid.

Going to look for the materials this week.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by GRF
1800; the eastern cape is lovely you will really enjoy it. YouTube is always useful for figuring out stuff. I have made shootings sticks out of hardware dowels, the shooting sticks the PHs have out of some skinny reed are much more rigid than the hardwood dowels.

all the best with your preparations and please be so kind as to post pictures and stories after your hunt.

GRF

Going to make the sticks with my son. Preparing is 1/2 the fun.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 1800topsoil
My 14 year old son and I will be visiting the Eastern Cape in July of 18'. Will be looking at general plains game, Zebra/Gemsbuck at the large end. I have a Tikka T3 in .300 Win. Mag. and just preordered a new Tikka Stainless Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor for my son. Looking for recommendations on factory loads for both and optics for the 6.5. My initial thought for the 6.5 is Leupold VX 5 3-15 44mm firedot. Thank you in advance.

How about a fixed 6x or if you want a variable,a 2x7.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by 1800topsoil

How about a fixed 6x or if you want a variable,a 2x7.

Excellent thinking. For my son that glass would work. My thoughts are that after the trip, I could use the gun to get started shooting long range. I do better with higher magnification and an illuminated reticle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't be bashful about getting in practice off shooting sticks with a .22. All of the skills and none of the noise or cost. Eastern Cape hunting will usually get you within 200 yards of your game. Be fit, but EC hunting is not elk or sheep strenuous in all but specialized cases. Weather is very nice in July, and can be cool in the mornings and evenings. Be prepared for lows in the low 40s and the high for the day to be anywhere from 58f to 80f. I know that's quite a range, but i've hunted in short sleeves and in a medium heavy coat and gloves in July there.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know squat about factory loads, but whatever you use here in the states for deer will be just fine, assuming you hit them right the first time.

For scopes, I use nothing but fixed 6X, plus a few random 4X for good measure. I did borrow my pH's rifle in the Limpopo though, but never took the variable he had off of 3X or maybe 4X...can't quit remember.

One thing I should add: bring half the cloths and twice the money you were planning to...

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Plus 1 to the half the clothes and twice the cash

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Check with your PH about clothes. Many places in the East Cape have thorn bushes much like what are called "cat's claw" in Arizona. Good brush pants can be something you might consider.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by hatari
Don't be bashful about getting in practice off shooting sticks with a .22. All of the skills and none of the noise or cost. Eastern Cape hunting will usually get you within 200 yards of your game. Be fit, but EC hunting is not elk or sheep strenuous in all but specialized cases. Weather is very nice in July, and can be cool in the mornings and evenings. Be prepared for lows in the low 40s and the high for the day to be anywhere from 58f to 80f. I know that's quite a range, but i've hunted in short sleeves and in a medium heavy coat and gloves in July there.

Love the idea of practice on the sticks with a .22. That kind of weather sounds perfect to me.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by hatari

Love the idea of practice on the sticks with a .22. That kind of weather sounds perfect to me.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I don't know squat about factory loads, but whatever you use here in the states for deer will be just fine, assuming you hit them right the first time.

For scopes, I use nothing but fixed 6X, plus a few random 4X for good measure. I did borrow my pH's rifle in the Limpopo though, but never took the variable he had off of 3X or maybe 4X...can't quit remember.

One thing I should add: bring half the cloths and twice the money you were planning to...

Thanks for the heads up on clothes. I think my son and I should both be able to fit in one 50lb bag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.