Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12327816 10/12/17
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I turned 59 this year, and I'm 35+ years into my career as a whitetail deer hunter. I'm starting to write my bucket list. Near the top of the list is a trophy moose for over the mantle in the Great Room. I've hunted and canoed and backpacked since I was in my teens. I've gone moose watching in Canada. However, I'll probably not be up to a major slog by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger. Bogs and hills are fine. However, count me out for mountains. I have a bunch of questions. Figure I'm about 5 years out from sending my deposit.

Where? I've heard Newfoundland is the place. However, I'm open to ideas. I'm a tent-and-campfire kind of guy. A cabin is luxurious.

How? I figure a self-guided hunt is out of the question. I'll need a guide. I'd prefer a hunt in the rut. Drive-in? Fly-in? Float-in?

Rifle? Right now, I've got a 30-06 all-weather bolt gun and a Rem pump in 35 Whelen. I figure those should get the job done.

Gear? What special equipment would you suggest for a moose hunt?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Lots of help to care for the beast!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have only hunted them for subsistence but the biggest Moose are the Alaskan/Yukon subspecies, but all moose are big. What I imagine as the classic way to hunt them is by canoe and calling with a birch bark call. This may be possible in Newfoundland and could be combined with world class Brook trout fishing too. Ankle fit hip boots are almost part of the uniform at least in Alaska.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I hope to meet someone with a front-loader on the way in .
smile

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Your all weather '06 will be perfect no matter where you end up going. If you haven't delt with an animal that size before having help is a good thing. Especially if the weather isn't cooperating and it's warm/buggy out. Even though it'll cost, going with a reputable guide service is going to be the way to go. You'll get both local knowledge and help once the deed is done. Gear is going to be somewhat specific to the area and time of year you'll be hunting. The guide should be able to help you with that. Having a back up optic especially for the trip of a lifetime is never a bad idea.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bring a rope-along or better yet a chainsaw winch, and hip waders. They usually seem to expire in water.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Bring a rope-along or better yet a chainsaw winch, and hip waders. They usually seem to expire in water.

Only time I saw a winch actually get a moose to good going was when it was attached to a 10 foot tall swamp buggy... I have pulled trees over trying to get a moose out of a pond several times...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gee, I thought you just inflated the carcass and then floated them out to the factory ship.

. . . oh, that was whales. Wrong nature channel. Nevermind.
crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by shaman
Gee, I thought you just inflated the carcass and then floated them out to the factory ship.

Just pull the airboat up and throw the quartered up moose in it. Just got done with one of these hunts. Easy-peasy. smirk

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

. . . oh, that was whales. Wrong nature channel. Nevermind.
crazy

A nitrogen bottle does a great job of making skinning easier...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Only time I saw a winch actually get a moose to good going was when it was attached to a 10 foot tall swamp buggy... I have pulled trees over trying to get a moose out of a pond several times...

They do come in handy holding legs up while skinning smile

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Just pull the airboat up and throw the quartered up moose in it. Just got done with one of these hunts. Easy-peasy. smirk

[Linked Image]

There! I want to be that guy giving the thumbs-up! That's an awesome moose too. How big is that?

So you have to tie their leg to their antler so they don't get away? Damn, I'll let the guide do that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

smile

I've actually done that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike

smile

I've actually done that.

Most of the last dozen or so I skinned were hanging... EVERY other way sucks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

They do come in handy holding legs up while skinning smile

Not quite as good as hanging the moose and Ma Gravity pull the hide off.

wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never felt put out skinning a moose to where I thought hanging the moose would be much easier. Except maybe the one I had to skin underwater in a silty glacier fed river.

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There! I want to be that guy giving the thumbs-up! That's an awesome moose too. How big is that?

1,000 # on the hoof

So you have to tie their leg to their antler so they don't get away?

You've heard the term "hog tied", right. That's just "moose tied"!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one and only moose I killed we skinned and quartered on the ground. It wasn't bad, just like a big deer. The packing out part, on the other hand.....

Regards,

Tom
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Only had a chance to work on one moose hanging in a tree. The ones on the ground were done cutting up the middle of the back and skinning one side at a time them rolling the moose over onto it's own hide. Not standing in a pile of guts that way. I also like a battery powered sawz-all for doing some cutting of the leg bones below the knee. Cut them at the knee it's easy to cut the tendon which makes the quarters easier to hang, if it doesn't get cut. Any way you do it, it's a fair amount of work. Nice to have someone experienced with you. Especially when it comes time to pack one out.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I skinned all my Moose on an engine hoist. Drug them out with an ATV (see avatar pic) and loaded one of them with a front end loader (met the right guy).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.