Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12327816 10/12/17
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I turned 59 this year, and I'm 35+ years into my career as a whitetail deer hunter. I'm starting to write my bucket list. Near the top of the list is a trophy moose for over the mantle in the Great Room. I've hunted and canoed and backpacked since I was in my teens. I've gone moose watching in Canada. However, I'll probably not be up to a major slog by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger. Bogs and hills are fine. However, count me out for mountains. I have a bunch of questions. Figure I'm about 5 years out from sending my deposit.

Where? I've heard Newfoundland is the place. However, I'm open to ideas. I'm a tent-and-campfire kind of guy. A cabin is luxurious.

How? I figure a self-guided hunt is out of the question. I'll need a guide. I'd prefer a hunt in the rut. Drive-in? Fly-in? Float-in?

Rifle? Right now, I've got a 30-06 all-weather bolt gun and a Rem pump in 35 Whelen. I figure those should get the job done.

Gear? What special equipment would you suggest for a moose hunt?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Lots of help to care for the beast!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have only hunted them for subsistence but the biggest Moose are the Alaskan/Yukon subspecies, but all moose are big. What I imagine as the classic way to hunt them is by canoe and calling with a birch bark call. This may be possible in Newfoundland and could be combined with world class Brook trout fishing too. Ankle fit hip boots are almost part of the uniform at least in Alaska.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I hope to meet someone with a front-loader on the way in .
smile

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Your all weather '06 will be perfect no matter where you end up going. If you haven't delt with an animal that size before having help is a good thing. Especially if the weather isn't cooperating and it's warm/buggy out. Even though it'll cost, going with a reputable guide service is going to be the way to go. You'll get both local knowledge and help once the deed is done. Gear is going to be somewhat specific to the area and time of year you'll be hunting. The guide should be able to help you with that. Having a back up optic especially for the trip of a lifetime is never a bad idea.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bring a rope-along or better yet a chainsaw winch, and hip waders. They usually seem to expire in water.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Bring a rope-along or better yet a chainsaw winch, and hip waders. They usually seem to expire in water.

Only time I saw a winch actually get a moose to good going was when it was attached to a 10 foot tall swamp buggy... I have pulled trees over trying to get a moose out of a pond several times...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gee, I thought you just inflated the carcass and then floated them out to the factory ship.

. . . oh, that was whales. Wrong nature channel. Nevermind.
crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by shaman
Gee, I thought you just inflated the carcass and then floated them out to the factory ship.

Just pull the airboat up and throw the quartered up moose in it. Just got done with one of these hunts. Easy-peasy. smirk

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

. . . oh, that was whales. Wrong nature channel. Nevermind.
crazy

A nitrogen bottle does a great job of making skinning easier...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Only time I saw a winch actually get a moose to good going was when it was attached to a 10 foot tall swamp buggy... I have pulled trees over trying to get a moose out of a pond several times...

They do come in handy holding legs up while skinning smile

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Just pull the airboat up and throw the quartered up moose in it. Just got done with one of these hunts. Easy-peasy. smirk

[Linked Image]

There! I want to be that guy giving the thumbs-up! That's an awesome moose too. How big is that?

So you have to tie their leg to their antler so they don't get away? Damn, I'll let the guide do that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

smile

I've actually done that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike

smile

I've actually done that.

Most of the last dozen or so I skinned were hanging... EVERY other way sucks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

They do come in handy holding legs up while skinning smile

Not quite as good as hanging the moose and Ma Gravity pull the hide off.

wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never felt put out skinning a moose to where I thought hanging the moose would be much easier. Except maybe the one I had to skin underwater in a silty glacier fed river.

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There! I want to be that guy giving the thumbs-up! That's an awesome moose too. How big is that?

1,000 # on the hoof

So you have to tie their leg to their antler so they don't get away?

You've heard the term "hog tied", right. That's just "moose tied"!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one and only moose I killed we skinned and quartered on the ground. It wasn't bad, just like a big deer. The packing out part, on the other hand.....

Regards,

Tom
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Only had a chance to work on one moose hanging in a tree. The ones on the ground were done cutting up the middle of the back and skinning one side at a time them rolling the moose over onto it's own hide. Not standing in a pile of guts that way. I also like a battery powered sawz-all for doing some cutting of the leg bones below the knee. Cut them at the knee it's easy to cut the tendon which makes the quarters easier to hang, if it doesn't get cut. Any way you do it, it's a fair amount of work. Nice to have someone experienced with you. Especially when it comes time to pack one out.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I skinned all my Moose on an engine hoist. Drug them out with an ATV (see avatar pic) and loaded one of them with a front end loader (met the right guy).

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

1,000 # on the hoof

So you have to tie their leg to their antler so they don't get away?

You've heard the term "hog tied", right. That's just "moose tied"!

What about the antlers? Those look just about the sized rack that haunts my dreams.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK, so it looks like the armament is okay. The gear depends on the location, if I think cold and rainy I probably won't go wrong.

Most of the rest of the stuff the guide will be handling.

Let's talk location: I've had one suggestion (and a very good one) re: Alaska. I know that's the best spot for really big moose.
I've been previously pointed at Newfoundland and Russia. What do y'all think?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I became a moose hunter in my late 40's and actually learned the craft a bit in my 50's. Now at 57 I am a pretty confident moose guy. A big freighter canoe with a motor is the classic way I like to hunt. The canoe allows you to get were moose live and transport them back with a minimum of fuss. I would go one of three places.... Newfoundland, Yukon or Alaska.
In Yukon book with an outfitter who specializes in river hunts, I have never used an outfitter so I am not much good there but the Duelings are a pretty good and honest clan up here so I wouldn't be afraid to use Dueling outfitters.

As for gear, if outfitted you wont need much. I take binoculars and leave the spotter at home. 30-06 or 35 Whelen are both good but I'd prefer the 35. Non stainless is fine if you bring a good river case and some cleaning supplies. A come-along is a must. Hip waders or even chest highs are a must. I have used ankle fits but actually prefer waterproof breathable waders with neoprene foot and wader boots. Can wear these all day without discomfort. If self guided a saw or axe is important for processing.

If you can afford it go guided the first time. I think you can self guide possibly in Alaska but it is a big learning curve and someone to show the ropes is a good idea. Dealing with 1000+ pounds of animal is a bit intimidating until you learn how to break them down. If you use gutless skinning on deer you can handle a moose since it is just scaled up. If you don't use the gutless method and are not sure how to zip of the front and back legs I would hate to learn on a moose. Some outfitters might use heavy machinery or a group of lads so they might not teach you gutless skinning/processing but I'd ask that question up front since it is so handy to know.

Last edited by North61; 10/13/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some good advice. If I were going now at my age I would be sure to invite along a couple of younger buddy's especially my two sons. Would make the trip so much more enjoyable. I like hunting solo or just me and the outfitter fine but the heavy lifting is a given and the camaraderie is priceless.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pittu
I never felt put out skinning a moose to where I thought hanging the moose would be much easier. Except maybe the one I had to skin underwater in a silty glacier fed river.

Having butchered a pretty fair pile of them over the years, I find hanging them to be a huge advantage, especially in keeping them clean.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My bull from a couple weeks ago was priceless... my son and two buddies did almost all of the cutting and 100% of the packing. The only moose I carried was bloodstains on my Simms waders.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
While you can't learn everything from a book. One book is a freaking incredible asset when learning how to hunt moose. The Moose Book by Samuel Merrill. It is old but it is incredibly good.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've done 20 plus moose. All on the ground. It ain't pretty...so I can't argue with Art. Sounds like hanging is a good way to go. Can you get a wrecker to it? smile. I actually know a couple times that has been done- just not by me. Trees, a saw, some binding, and a Come-along sounds good. Who gets to pack the stuff??

Best moose kill for me was a 50 foot pack to the boat. Longest ( a yearling) was 5 miles, 3.5 of it on an access road, most of the rest on a pre-cut game trail.. Too cheap to spring for a float plane for such a little one! smile

Pre-rut is the way to go if you want to eat the thing. I'l tell you how I know this. Twice. Once at the beginning (Sept 29). and once post (Nov 2).
The latter was out of rut, but the rut wasn't quite out of him yet. Made edible chilli and spaghetti, just. Spicy sausage would have worked too.

Anything before Sept 25 should be good. Sept 20-25 you are tossing the dice. After that, chances favor it will be rutty tasting. Tastes like piss + adreniline. and it is in the blood, which of course is throughout the meat. Eskimos tell me if you hang it for 10-14 days at 32-40 degrees this flavor dissipates, unlike with stink-bull caribou. I haven't tested it myself, but I am doubtful. They tell white guys lots of things.... such as - "it's in the fat"....

Bulls will come to calls (raking, bull grunts) anytime after about Sept 1, mostly checking out the competition. Late in the month, they will start coming to cow calls.

so will cows- keep in mind the best bait for a moose is another moose. They are very social, in and out of season- but they do like their personal space usually.

Me- I'm gonna try for a November/December cow this year, but I'll take a bull if offered- but only after November 15. Unfortunately????, I'll be in Cabo over Thanksgiving. Wife and her friggin vacations!!!! Weather and light will be my restrictions for weekend hunts, but on the other hand, driving the snow machine and sled up to it, or as close as I can get, if I get one, isn't such a bad deal.

Last edited by las; 10/13/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good binos, ankle fit waders and clothes that are comfy when damp (good synthetic or wool). Come-along is handy when you start skinning on the ground to position them and then help flip them when ready for the other side. Outfitter should have this stuff though, Id focus on glass and clothing. Should be all set with your current rifles.

Ive only hunted them in AK, but if your on a budget I imagine NF would be much cheaper. Regardless, I'd make it a combo hunt and get a bear tag. Fall Moose usually means berry season, berries mean bears.

One I killed was during a winter hunt, that ACE hardware sled paid for itself 100 times over! The other one was in the early fall, both tasted good and kept me fed for a long time. I dont place moose meat on the same level as blacktail, sheep or goat though.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaboku68
While you can't learn everything from a book. One book is a freaking incredible asset when learning how to hunt moose. The Moose Book by Samuel Merrill. It is old but it is incredibly good.

Found it! It's free download.

https://archive.org/details/moosebookfactsa01merrgoog

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
I've done 20 plus moose. All on the ground. It ain't pretty...so I can't argue with Art. Sounds like hanging is a good way to go. Can you get a wrecker to it? smile. I actually know a couple times that has been done- just not by me. Trees, a saw, some binding, and a Come-along sounds good. Who gets to pack the stuff??

Best moose kill for me was a 50 foot pack to the boat. Longest ( a yearling) was 5 miles, 3.5 of it on an access road, most of the rest on a pre-cut game trail.. Too cheap to spring for a float plane for such a little one! smile

Pre-rut is the way to go if you want to eat the thing. I'l tell you how I know this. Twice. Once at the beginning (Sept 29). and once post (Nov 2).
The latter was out of rut, but the rut wasn't quite out of him yet. Made edible chilli and spaghetti, just. Spicy sausage would have worked too.

Anything before Sept 25 should be good. Sept 20-25 you are tossing the dice. After that, chances favor it will be rutty tasting. Tastes like piss + adreniline. and it is in the blood, which of course is throughout the meat. Eskimos tell me if you hang it for 10-14 days at 32-40 degrees this flavor dissipates, unlike with stink-bull caribou. I haven't tested it myself, but I am doubtful. They tell white guys lots of things.... such as - "it's in the fat"....

Bulls will come to calls (raking, bull grunts) anytime after about Sept 1, mostly checking out the competition. Late in the month, they will start coming to cow calls.

so will cows- keep in mind the best bait for a moose is another moose. They are very social, in and out of season- but they do like their personal space usually.

Me- I'm gonna try for a November/December cow this year, but I'll take a bull if offered- but only after November 15. Unfortunately????, I'll be in Cabo over Thanksgiving. Wife and her friggin vacations!!!! Weather and light will be my restrictions for weekend hunts, but on the other hand, driving the snow machine and sled up to it, or as close as I can get, if I get one, isn't such a bad deal.

We drive swamp buggies to the moose, pick them up by the antlers, and unzip the guts. Lift them a bit and drive away from the guts. Then we load them up and drive back to camp to skin, quarter, bag, and hang. No sore backs from bending over. No sore backs from picking the pieces up from ground level.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Wuss. But a smart wuss.... smile

Last edited by las; 10/15/17.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't mean this as a criticism of any of y'all. However, I find it fascinating that most of this thread has been about the process of what to do after the shot, and very little of what to do before. As a comparison, I spent quite some time answering questions about whitetail deer. Yes, there were the occasional questions about how to process a carcass, but folks were more interested in how to find them, where to shoot them, and such. This thread leads me to believe the adventure starts once the moose is down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't mean this as a criticism of any of y'all. However, I find it fascinating that most of this thread has been about the process of what to do after the shot, and very little of what to do before. As a comparison, I spent quite some time answering questions about whitetail deer. Yes, there were the occasional questions about how to process a carcass, but folks were more interested in how to find them, where to shoot them, and such. This thread leads me to believe the adventure starts once the moose is down.

Truer words were never spoken.
If you were doing a DIY hunt I'd have offered a few more tips but when booking a guide you're going to hunt according to his style and you'll need the equipment he tells you to bring. As far as choosing the place goes I agree with Newfoundland on the cheap (nothing cheap about it though) or Alaska if you want to shell out the money for the ultimate adventure. Most important things I can tell you to bring are knee high rubber boots, a rifle (cartridge isn't terribly important especially if you're calling during the rut), and two sharp knives if you're doing the field dressing.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Don't hunt in the rut if you want good meat. (Already advised that).

Shoot the bull where he lives. And not in water when you do, if you can help it.

Take good rain gear - skip the so-called "breathable" stuff if the weather will be at all harsh or if busting through heavy vegetation.

Sleep warm (preferably dry as well), eat enough calories, take care of your feet.

How's that?

Well, the WORK starts when the moose is down, unless you do it Art's way, but that's part of the adventure. For real fun, do it solo (half a dozen times for me so far.)

Last edited by las; 10/16/17.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Don't hunt in the rut if you want good meat. (Already advised that).

Shoot the bull where he lives. And not in water when you do, if you can help it.

Take good rain gear - skip the so-called "breathable" stuff if the weather will be at all harsh or if busting through heavy vegetation.

Sleep warm (preferably dry as well), eat enough calories, take care of your feet.

How's that?

Well, the WORK starts when the moose is down, unless you do it Art's way, but that's part of the adventure. For real fun, do it solo (half a dozen times for me so far.)

Betting I have you beat in the self-flagellation category as well as the YGBSM category. On several occasions years ago I shot small bulls that I boned and packed in a single trip... in the 200# pack range and some for more than a mile or three... I also packed multiple bulls ridiculous distances when guiding... up to 10 miles to retrieve a bull with lots of help.

wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
196 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.