Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn sick

Indeed. There's much more to the story but that's all that is relevant to doubles.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Zengela
Originally Posted by Zengela
You guys got me thinking I HAVE to take that little 303 Brit double to Africa someday, wondering what 215 grains of Woodleigh Weldcore at 2175 fps will or wont handle?

I've only been once, hoping some of the experienced hands can guide me on what it is suitable to use on, that being said, and no BS at all, accurate hits to 200 yards are very doable from a good rest with the second leaf flipped up. smile

I used a farm kids Lee-Enfield 303 215 Woodleigh on an wildebeest. Dropped him, stumbled to get up, then sagged and died. Point of shoulder shot. Don't know what the bullet looked like..

Great news, did you not see the bullet because you weren't at the skinning shed, or better yet because it exited?

I wasn't at the skinning shed. It did not exit.

10-4, a quick death just the same, bet that expanded bullet looked very good nonetheless. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Damn sick

Indeed. There's much more to the story but that's all that is relevant to doubles.

Oh Lordy, Thanks for sparing us the details, your first post on the topic nearly gave me a migraine. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys got me thinking I HAVE to take that little 303 Brit double to Africa someday, wondering what 215 grains of Woodleigh Weldcore at 2175 fps will or wont handle?

I've only been once, hoping some of the experienced hands can guide me on what it is suitable to use on, that being said, and no BS at all, accurate hits to 200 yards are very doable from a good rest with the second leaf flipped up. smile

You could bring that Rodda to South Texas next March, and kill a Gemsbok smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

You could bring that Rodda to South Texas next March, and kill a Gemsbok smile

That might be a lot of fun Tex. smile

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

While short on experience on DR I did have one -- had to have at least one. It was a Chapuis model no longer made in 9.3x74 and at the time was around 5k I believe. It was well made with pretty wood and wafted around like a little heavier 28 ga. This was after I went to Namibia where a Blaser R98 in 375 worked wonderfully.

But the little Chapuis was very nice. I took it on a no-pressure bison hunt after a couple of years and about a 900 lb heifer (for meat) convened with a 286-gr Norma Oryx soft point at about 75 yards. She on the run at a ninety degree angle from me. I always thought the 9.3, kind of a delicate 375, was a nice leggy cartridge, if a bit thin wasted.

I expect it's worked on buff many a time but wouldn't be my choice. IMO, DR for hunting gunnies are more an affliction than apropo for most uses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a sucker for SXS's, rifle or shotgun. Exposed hammers aren't a must, but they are certainly a plus IMO. Never seen Gunners 303, but if it's anything like this one:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showthreaded.php?Number=151076&page=3

It's about the perfect double rifle in my mind. If that one was back on sale today for around the same money, it'd be mine.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Rodda is a beauty!

Looks like it's been a safe queen all these years. Good for the next owner, who I hope takes it afield where it belongs!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'm a sucker for SXS's, rifle or shotgun. Exposed hammers aren't a must, but they are certainly a plus IMO. Never seen Gunners 303, but if it's anything like this one:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showthreaded.php?Number=151076&page=3

It's about the perfect double rifle in my mind. If that one was back on sale today for around the same money, it'd be mine.

Dang firefox? won't open that link MM, I believe that may be my rifle, I bought it and had it shipped to my local FFL guy, brought it home and showed Wifey, she said, 'I haven't got you anything for Valentines Day yet, then proceeded to squealed Happy Valentines Day!!!! then funded my checking account for 6K the next day, what a Woman! cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No schit?!? Well, when you're tired of it, give me a holler! I'll refund your account the $6k! Lol.

That's a beautiful little rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just went and looked at the link. Didnt realize it was a thread, scrolled down and sure enough, Gunner500 bought that beauty back in 2010!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, that's her MadMooner, when I saw the rifle on the WWW I nearly tore my back pocket off getting a credit card ready and my front pocket off getting to my cell. grin

I knew instantly someone at Cabelas forgot to put a 1 before the $5,800 bucks in the sale add, the little rifle is a lot of fun and nice to shoot.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MadMooner,

I, too, am "addicted to" the old-school hammer-guns, whether shotguns, Cape-guns, drillings or DR. = The last one that I found was a cased SxS DR (in great shape) in 11.15x60mm (.43 Mauser) for 1,000.oo OTD.
(The PO offered it for sale as the supply of C.I.L. factory cartridges completely "dried up" & he is completely disinterested in hand-loading either his Boxer/Canadian or Berdan-primed brass.)

yours, satx

Last edited by satx78247; 11/17/17.

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
satx78247,

You DID buy that DR, didn't you?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You done good on that one, gunner.

I now have photos of the famous .303 Rodda I've heard so much about.

It's a bute.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I recently returned from a successful buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe and those I hunted with considered a double a simple desire, a fad, and basically ineffective for most... For those that have killed a number, all good. For the first timer and even beyond they wanted to see a bolt rifle of 375 H&H or larger preferring the various 416's. I used a 416 WIN and we were all very happy.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
APDDSNO864,

YEP. - It currently resides in our gun case, awaiting finding a set of proper dies & a suitable bullet mold. - Once I find those, I have to figure out a "regulated load".
(The PO admitted that he never had a load that would "print" both barrels together. = He said that he was getting groups that "looked like a 000-buck pattern".)

As a "long retired OF" I have the patience & time to figure out a regulated load.

Note: Fwiw, several friends think that I was "NUTS" to pay anything for ":that old thing". = The DR was obviously "a working rifle", it is "quite Plain Jane" & "shows honest wear" BUT it was bought to hunt with rather than to just LOOK AT.
(I'll get around to refinishing the stock after I get it shooting accurately.)

yours, satx

Last edited by satx78247; 11/18/17. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by satx78247
APDDSNO864,...YEP. - It currently resides in our gun case, awaiting finding a set of proper dies & a suitable bullet mold. - Once I find those, I have to figure out a "regulated load"....yours, satx

I am a big fan of BPCR and a .43 Mauser is a classic! NOE has a mold that would work if yours is anywhere close to the spec'ed .433" groove diameter;

NOE 434-31-RF 2 Cavity Plain Base Mould LINK

Reloading dies? LEE .43 Mauser Dies LINK They appear to be back ordered, but expected to be delivered next week.

Just call me the "The Enabler". grin

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 11/18/17. Reason: kain't spel ner tipe

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
APDDSN0864,

NOW, the only problem is whether my "Dee" will hit you or me FIRST with a cast iron skillet for suggesting that I spend any more $$$$$ before Christmas. = ROTFLMRAO.

First thing that I have to do is cast the chambers/throats of both tubes. - All too many of these old DR have been "messed about with" over the last century plus.
(At least the tubes aren't rusted/pitted & LOOK clean.).

yours, satx

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
satx,

I usually answer to "Ed". Saves typing. grin

"Dee" will have to catch me. You have to sleep some time, so my bet is on you earning the first knot on your head. eek

I'm a moving target.

I look forward to seeing a range report. Oh, I know of an excellent source for black powder, too. cool

Ed

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.