Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm stewing some chicken hind quarters for the dumplin's for tommor's noon meal. Every so often the dish sounds good to me.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I love chicken n dumplings. It's still too warm here, but there's hints the season is turning.

Ella in SC

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ella, how do you do yours?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Every couple years I make that dish.

I just go by what Betty Crocker says I should do.

I am MAGA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I never made it. Dumplings intimidate me. But I'll eat the heck out of em.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
3 cups of flour in a mixing bowl, form a well in the middle. Add 2 eggs, work the flour into the eggs with a fork, add one cup of cooled broth, and a pinch or two of salt. Mix with fork until combined. It will be very sticky, not like a smooth dough. Turn onto a well floured counter or board. Kneed just a few times with enough flour to make it workable. Do not overwork or it will be too elastic. Roll out thin, cut into your preferred dumpling size, drop into broth at a rolling boil. Add your chicken meat back in, simmer for a bit, be ready to eat way too much.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ella

Bisquick.

My mom made the best drop dumplings ever but I never got the recipe. Later in life I tried several times to duplicate them without success until one day when I tried the recipe on the Bisquick box I had bought to make pancakes.
I swear I think she was tricking me all those years because they came out identical to hers cept for the parsley flakes she threw in to throw me off the sent.

Try it.....it's simple as hell.....mix some milk and Bisquick per directions....drop spoon fulls in the boiling stew...cook uncovered for ten minutes...another ten with a lid on and wa-la.....the biggest fluffiest dumplings you'll find anywhere.

BTW.....as much as I like Chicken and Dumplings my favorite is Beef Stew and Dumplings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm stewing some chicken hind quarters for the dumplin's for tommor's noon meal. Every so often the dish sounds good to me.

Canadians talk funny. smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Canadians talk funny. smile

No kidding, eh?
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3 cups of flour in a mixing bowl, form a well in the middle. Add 2 eggs, work the flour into the eggs with a fork,

I was always told that if you put eggs in, they were noodles, not dumplings. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
3 cups of flour in a mixing bowl, form a well in the middle. Add 2 eggs, work the flour into the eggs with a fork,

I was always told that if you put eggs in, they were noodles, not dumplings. grin miles

This

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We must have done chicken and dumplings here a dozen times. I like drop dumplings. NO eggs in the dough. My version is best. laughing.
Chicken and dumplings

Cut up a chicken into it's component parts. Submerge in lightly salted water. Throw in celery tops, sliced onions and carrots. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for a couple of hours. You want the meat to literally fall off the bone.
I pull out the veggies at that time, and discard them. I add fresh celery, turnip, carrots, and more chicken broth if needed.
Cook the chicken and veggies another half hour or so, and then top with the dumplings.

I make these with two cups sifted AP flour, three teaspoons baking powder, half teaspoon salt, and a cup of milk. Some folks like to add in a bit of fine diced onion and some chopped parsley. You want a fairly soft dough, and you don't want to work the dough a lot.
Drop the dough on top of the still bubbling broth with a large spoon. This will give you fairly large dumplings.
Cover, and cook another 15 min or so. If you like, turn the dumplings over after about 10 min.

the pot is a cast iron 5 quart. I disjoint the bird, and debone the breast. I leave the legs, thigh, wings all bone in. The mark of when its all done, is when the meat just falls off the bones. I cook the carcass in another pot with more onion, celery and carrot. I want the extra stock, and the flavor needs to match the pot I am fixing the dish in.
The veggies I leave in large pieces. The carrots, turnips and celery can be in chunks, not a fine dice.

The dough is NOT biscuit dough. There is no fat added for the dumpling dough, as it would be if you were making biscuits.
I keep the broth topped off to about 1 1/2 inches from the top of the pan. This covers the meat, but leaves enough room for the dumplings to expand when they cook.
I always turn the dumplings over once, about 10 min into the time it takes to cook them.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/14/17.

Sam......

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Bisquick.

My mom made the best drop dumplings ever but I never got the recipe. Later in life I tried several times to duplicate them without success until one day when I tried the recipe on the Bisquick box I had bought to make pancakes.
I swear I think she was tricking me all those years because they came out identical to hers cept for the parsley flakes she threw in to throw me off the sent.

Try it.....it's simple as hell.....mix some milk and Bisquick per directions....drop spoon fulls in the boiling stew...cook uncovered for ten minutes...another ten with a lid on and wa-la.....the biggest fluffiest dumplings you'll find anywhere.

BTW.....as much as I like Chicken and Dumplings my favorite is Beef Stew and Dumplings.

Thats a great way to make dumplings.

I do the same thing on Swiss Steak in the oven.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
1,1/2 flour, 3tb shortening, 2 tp baking powder, 1 tp salt, 3/4 cup milk. That is what my wife did. I was a bit late in town. The dish turned out well.
What works for you can't be wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
An easy way to make dumplings is to use the flour tortilla mix. Just make your dough per directions,roll it out and cut into squares. You can make them as thin or thick as you want.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I like the bisquick ones and don't discriminate against the noodle ones either. But when I make them, I get chicken in gravy or chicken cake. frown

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Bisquick.

That sounds good.

Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Not even close.
I tried pie dough dumplings......they blow.

I do like pot pie though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Bisquick.

That sounds good.

Not even close.

Use a rolled dumpling recipe. Delish.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No one uses flour tortillas for quick and easy dumplings ?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not even close.

Use a rolled dumpling recipe. Delish.
[/quote]

Pie dough dumplings are rolled dumplings.
They're fine if you like soggy dough.
I like nice fluffy dumplings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
No one uses flour tortillas for quick and easy dumplings ?

No.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
I’m sure it goes by what your Mom made and called them. These are NOT drop dumplings, and just to go ahead and start the fight, I can’t stand drop dumplings! 😁

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by USMC2602
I’m sure it goes by what your Mom made and called them. These are NOT drop dumplings, and just to go ahead and start the fight, I can’t stand drop dumplings! 😁

No offense but you sir have taste for chit...... smile

And yea....pie dough...rolled...it's all the same soggy crap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love chicken & dumplings and will try the Bisquick recipe. Sounds easy and anymore, I'm kinda lazy. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I love chicken & dumplings and will try the Bisquick recipe. Sounds easy and anymore, I'm kinda lazy. grin

L.W.

You and I are gonna get along just fine.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U

No offense but you sir have taste for chit...... smile

None taken, the “dropped or rolled” debate will live on.....

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sometimes if I am feeling particularly sporty I will by a roll of them store bought biscuits and use them as pot toppers.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never thought about that but I'm sure it works.
When you think about it dumplings are basically just boiled biscuits.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Charlie, I looked up dumplings a few years ago. Dough cooked in liquid. A German woman friend thinks there are only potato dumplings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I do it all the time. Biscuits from the refrigerator section. Roll'em out and cut into squares. Dust with some flour and set aide for an hour or so then drop into boiling water being careful to keep them separated so they don't stick together

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

when made properly, they are NOT 'boiled biscuits'. Proper dumplings are made without fat. In my ever so humble opinion of course. <grin>

Sam......

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Agree. (So does bisquick have fat in the mix or do you add it when you make biscuits? I've never used it for biscuits is why I'm asking.)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Agree. (So does bisquick have fat in the mix or do you add it when you make biscuits? I've never used it for biscuits is why I'm asking.)

it has soybean or cottonseed oil in the mix.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That could be but it looks like flour to me.
Sure makes good dumplings either way. Good enough for me anyway.

Edit.....I just read the box....it says partially hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cotton Seed oil.

Personally I could give a chit....it's easy and makes good Dumplings. That's all I care about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That could be but it looks like flour to me.
Sure makes good dumplings either way. Good enough for me anyway.

Edit.....I just read the box....it says partially hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cotton Seed oil.

Personally I could give a chit....it's easy and makes good Dumplings. That's all I care about.

The voice of the common man speaks !!!!! Dumplings and/or biscuits weren't made to be eaten with pinky extended.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.