Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
On my list as well. I am moose-less at this point. frown

Get them while you are young... they are not fun for old men!
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by ironbender
IB is dead nuts on w/ official ADF&G measurement. It was an any bull area. It had 3 brow tines on the right.

Blind hogs; acorns. smile
I don't like having my name in the same sentence with 'dead nuts' though. crazy

That's a very nice looking rack.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought this bull looked pretty similar to the moose around here (lower Skeena Valley) with the antlers almost as dark as they are here. It turns out the moose where you got yours are very similar to the ones here compared to the bigger moose farther north and east.

This is a fascinating article you might want to read.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=602

I didn't know that south east Alaska had moose right up to tide water but I guess it shouldn't be surprising since they do that here.

Gerry.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
thank you Gerry for the link.

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm jealous! I've put in for the Berner's moose hunt several times, and it's inspiring to see consistently beautiful animals come out of there.
Congratulations, and good call on the air-boat. Did you launch from Echo Cove?

IC B2

Y
yhc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
The "pack out" was brutal - LOL

Congrats on your first moose MuskegMan. The next best thing after seeing the bull on the ground is seeing that air boat less than 20 paces from the kill site!!! Awesome.

Regards,

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Congratulations on a great bull.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gerry35
I thought this bull looked pretty similar to the moose around here (lower Skeena Valley) with the antlers almost as dark as they are here. It turns out the moose where you got yours are very similar to the ones here compared to the bigger moose farther north and east.

This is a fascinating article you might want to read.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=602

I didn't know that south east Alaska had moose right up to tide water but I guess it shouldn't be surprising since they do that here.

Pretty sure the moose in this area were transplanted from up north. Dark horns are dependent on what the rub on. Theyy have lighten up just sitting outside in the rain.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 907brass
I'm jealous! I've put in for the Berner's moose hunt several times, and it's inspiring to see consistently beautiful animals come out of there.
Congratulations, and good call on the air-boat. Did you launch from Echo Cove?

Yes sir! Pretty flat in the saltwater coming and going. Whitecaps would have been a bitch.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
White caps are scary in an airboat. I"ve been in 42 mph winds with mine, not fun at all and white knuckle until on the ramp.

All in all its rough as heck with caps, but not really all that dangerous UNLESS the engine cuts out or fails... then you will almost certainly find yourself on the bottom in a few seconds... BTDT.

What I worry most is not running or on plane when someone comes by very close and you have to handle the wake, that can get scary when it comes over the sides/back. Hope its not enough to sink, and hope your bilges are working fine. and fast.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice moose, congrats!

My neighbor just got back from that same hunt. He was successful as well.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
That rack falls into the "very nice" category by my definition, yet, failing to see the third tine at first glance, I though, "Gee, too close to call legal in many hunting areas."

I agree, mine from the last day of the season on any any-bull tag is quite similar, but "finer". All the points are long and thin so much less obvious. It turned out, very surprisingly, at 53 1/2 inches, but I would not have shot it for 50. Two crab claws for brows.

Use the ears, Grasshopper. Especially if you can get a view with an ear at horizontal. Another ear-length of antler beyond the tip of the attached ear will make the critter legal, IME. Should come in a bit better than 51, giving one just a teeny bit of margin.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem with a moose like that is that all those beautiful points makes him look '50' legal even though he's right at the edge.

.....kind of an optical (or psychological/emotional) illusion! laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
That rack falls into the "very nice" category by my definition, yet, failing to see the third tine at first glance, I though, "Gee, too close to call legal in many hunting areas."

I agree, mine from the last day of the season on any any-bull tag is quite similar, but "finer". All the points are long and thin so much less obvious. It turned out, very surprisingly, at 53 1/2 inches, but I would not have shot it for 50. Two crab claws for brows.

Use the ears, Grasshopper. Especially if you can get a view with an ear at horizontal. Another ear-length of antler beyond the tip of the attached ear will make the critter legal, IME. Should come in a bit better than 51, giving one just a teeny bit of margin.

Rather make a mistake to the low side... wink

Never had a standing-facing-me look and frankly did not need it (any bull tag), so just guessed and let it fly...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The problem with a moose like that is that all those beautiful points makes him look '50' legal even though he's right at the edge.

.....kind of an optical (or psychological/emotional) illusion! laugh

So often we see what we want to see...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Congrats on a beautiful animal, looks like you had the perfect rifle/bullet combo...and thanks for the pics/writeup.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That'll work.. Nice bull.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not that it matters, but I take the mature IE 5 year old bull idea, and zoom in with the scope from center to outside fat part on the front head width at eyes. Then take full width of fat to fat part of reticle and apply from side of head to edge of antler. If both sides exceed that setting, it should be good... I have a hard time trusting ears as they lie on whitetails depending on a LOT of things...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations! beautiful moose! On your "scope eye", I see the problem, your scope is set way too far back. The ocular lens should be right over the tang on the receiver.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Looks like I need to put in for that tag, and hope for the 1%. How do guys get in there who don't have a neighbor in Juneau with an airboat? Charter a flight?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.