Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Had a Leupy VX-6 go haywire Thursday when making a final one click left adjustment on Hope's Tikka T-3X 7-08.

We'd both shot several good to excellent groups previous to this, with this load in this gun with this scope, a VX-6 2-12 purchased in Dec 2015. Had her pretty much set up for rifle season coming up, but wanted to just do a final validation. She was doing the shooting, and she shot a good 3 shot group at 100 (slightly over an inch), an even better 3 shot group at 200. All shots were slightly right of center - all shots were <1.5" from center black diamond. She wanted it just a little left, so I took the scope one click left. Next shot was 6 inches left - what the heck! Took it back one click right to original - next shot was over 8 inches right of the last shot - about 2.5" right of any of the first six fired.

Needless to say she was not happy! What followed then was a exercise in futility for about 5 more shots of chasing shots by adjusting both windage and elevation and getting nothing remotely near what was expected. The second target looked like few I've seen the shots were so bad.

The scope was mounted in Talleys, torqued to their specs. Ammo was handloaded, 120 gr Nosler BT, Nosler brass, 2000MR powder, runout checked to less than .002". She was using front and rear rests and it was essentially calm. She's ex-military, expert marksman qualified and is a very good shot.

We were at our farm doing various chores, so the barrel was never allowed to get hot - this occurred over the course of 2-3 hours.

Yesterday (Friday), I replaced the VX-6 with a Trijicon 3-9 I had on hand (had to run to MIdway to get 1" mounts). Gun shot great, after 2 shots it was dead center 2.5" high at 100 yds for me. Turned it over to her, and three shots and a couple of small adjustments for her liking and she was set.

Called Leupold, they said send it in, so I did. We'll see how this turns out.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
bludog,

Unfortunately we have had the same experience with our VX6. It was sent to Leupold three times. The last time it was there since last August. According to the info sent with it was completely rebuilt. It would not hold zero and the adjustments were very erratic just like yours.
We have no confidence in this scope at all. Great optics are worthless without reliability.

Lefty C

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That is not good news. I bought this before their big discounts and I sure don't want to be out over $1k for a useless scope. Hopefully, it will come back reliable. Thanks for the response.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bludog
She wanted it just a little left, so I took the scope one click left. Next shot was 6 inches left - what the heck! Took it back one click right to original - next shot was over 8 inches right of the last shot - about 2.5" right of any of the first six fired.

You screwed up. With Leupold, you never, ever touch the windage adjustment unless you have a lot more time, patience, and ammo.

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, it was her idea, I did have some reservations, but like she said "A thousand dollar scope should be able to be adjusted". Hard to disagree with that.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bludog
She wanted it just a little left, so I took the scope one click left. Next shot was 6 inches left - what the heck! Took it back one click right to original - next shot was over 8 inches right of the last shot - about 2.5" right of any of the first six fired.

Needless to say she was not happy! What followed then was a exercise in futility for about 5 more shots of chasing shots by adjusting both windage and elevation and getting nothing remotely near what was expected. The second target looked like few I've seen the shots were so bad.

That sucks, bludog. Someone termed the phrase "Leupold shuffle", which you described above. Funny, but not for those that experience it, especially with a scope that costs that much. Many people here have mentioned/speculated that the erector spring(s) in the Leupo scopes are either weak, break, or slip. Your experience would seem to be in line with that thought.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I asked about Leupo zero retention and tracking, there were five reports of failures with the VX-6. One by Jimmyp, two by GregW, and two by Beretzs. Now add Leftycarbon and yourself, and that is seven reports in the Campfire community. I don't know what the failure rate is of these scope, but it still makes one wonder if there is a design issue, component quality, or some other problem.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/14/17.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I’ve sighted in a lot of rifles for people and I’ve experienced this inaccurate leupold adjustments to the point that I quit useing leupolds years ago.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The elevation seems ok on my scopes. Windage is a crapshoot at best particularly with older M8 scopes. After hunting season, I am going to start sending my 6x42 scopes back en mass to address the tracking issues. We'll see what happens.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Careful Calvin, you're going to get the fan boys all riled up.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ykrvak

Possibly, but he is correct.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All these problems will be resolved when they start having them made in China.😜

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Nothing is improved by being made in China, it is just cheaper.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just to be sure, these are the VX6's they cleared out a year or so ago correct? Or the newer HD version? They have different internals.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ykrvak

I am a fan boy...(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Just to be sure, these are the VX6's they cleared out a year or so ago correct? Or the newer HD version? They have different internals.

What has changed, in terms of internal components or design?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm just going by looks. Not sure on tech details. They come with a zero stop/lock feature now too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
On my first trip to Africa, my Leupold had shifted a few inches during travel and when adjusted did the typical Leupold inconsistent tracking thing. I got a sense that it made my PH really nervous about my shooting in that it took eight or so shots to make a 4" adjustment.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Could a baggage handler F up any scope though?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Nothing is improved by being made in China, it is just cheaper.

Okay, if not better, then funnier.🤡

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.