Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is very disappointing. Very.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As much failure that is reported just on this site, I can't believe people still buy Leupold, no matter the price point.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can understand that RHutch. Flip side is I've taken mine to Africa 3 times now. Never had to make the first adjustment, as rifle has survived the baggage goons, getting the hell beat out if in the back of the "bakkie", etc. Killed several truck loads of deer and aoudad with it....same story. Seems like roulette to me.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I could never trust a Leupold and would never take one to Africa. You have balls.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nah. Never had a hunter show up in camp with Leupy problems either....about 100 of them so far. These guys can buy whatever they want. It obviously happens, not denying that.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Just to be sure, these are the VX6's they cleared out a year or so ago correct? Or the newer HD version? They have different internals.

The erector system is the same.

Could a baggage handler F up any scope though?

Get a scope that was built as an aiming device first, pare it with a mounting system that is built for abuse and watch all the "baggage handlers messed my zero up" nonsense go away.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm still not convinced.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Reality isn't for everyone I guess.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yup, You believe there are scopes out there impervious to smashing force. Give me a [bleep] break

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Should have taken him 1 or 2 shots to make the adjustment back, not 8. It does make zeroing your rifle an adventure though. You'd think you could take a shot, walk up with a tape measure, make the necessary adjustments and you will be zero'd. Nope.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just my experience, but when I adjust a Leupold I shoot three shots after it. It often ends up 1 out 2 in....then I'll make adjustments from the 2 in as needed. Once set, they've been good, but adjustments for Leupolds aren't a 1 shot deal in my experience. Leupold made me a fan of the LRD reticle in a fixed scope.......out of necessity.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by ykrvak
Careful Calvin, you're going to get the fan boys all riled up.

Possibly, but he is correct.

You're not going to get an argument out of me. Leupolds are a mediocre optic with a great warranty. Used it a number of times in the past myself. Ditched them all but one and that sits on a CZ 452. Figure it'll take a few rounds with that to shake the internals loose.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yup, You believe there are scopes out there impervious to smashing force. Give me a [bleep] break

Well I'm speaking from a position of experience. You are speaking from ignorance. Your comment was on the line of that no scope could survive baggage handlers. That means in a case. I have flown hundreds of times for work in the last decade plus, and have yet to lose zero with certain brand and models of scopes, and yet consistently see other models and brands constantly losing zero.

In another discussion similar to this one....

Pulled a NF 4-16x F1 off of a rifle. Bore sighted it and shot 5 rounds.

[Linked Image]

Then did this-

And these are the next three shots from the video added to that group.

[Linked Image]

I know, it doesn't fit the narritive that Leupolds are as good as anything else. Fact is, they're not. They don't handle side impacts well, they do not track correctly, nor do they return to zero consistently.

This happened at work-
[Linked Image]

It held zero as it has for the last 4,000 rounds, and 8 flights with baggage handlers.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Formidilosus; 10/14/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what mount are you using?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
To be clear,

I am not saying that a Leupold VX6 can't be used to kill a deer, or that 100% won't hold a zero well enough to shoot a whitetail at 200 yards.

I am saying, that they have significant problems as an aiming device when used hard, and when dialed. Just as good as, isn't. There are manufactures that put "aiming device" as #1 on their scope priorities.... Leupold doesn't. "Aiming device" isn't even in the top five of Leupold. Things like marketing, glass, cost, profit, weight, and features are. They do this because the vast majority of people don't actually shoot.

If you expect or desire your aiming device to stay zeroed through use, buy a scope that is built for that. If showing up to the range or on a hunt and having your scope fail or lose zero isn't that big of a deal- then there are plenty to choose from.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jimmyp
what mount are you using?

On which one?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
To be clear,

I am not saying that a Leupold VX6 can't be used to kill a deer, or that 100% won't hold a zero well enough to shoot a whitetail at 200 yards.

I am saying, that they have significant problems as an aiming device when used hard, and when dialed. Just as good as, isn't. There are manufactures that put "aiming device" as #1 on their scope priorities.... Leupold doesn't. "Aiming device" isn't even in the top five of Leupold. Things like marketing, glass, cost, profit, weight, and features are. They do this because the vast majority of people don't actually shoot.

If you expect or desire your aiming device to stay zeroed through use, buy a scope that is built for that. If showing up to the range or on a hunt and having your scope fail or lose zero isn't that big of a deal- then there are plenty to choose from.

Truth +P

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am soo happy for you and your dented scope. If you hit glass hard enough it will break that is all I was trying to say. Insult me some more if it makes you feel good. I enjoy the laughs.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I guess should have taken photos of the scope that UPS broke. It went a lot less distance than Africa too!

Last edited by peeshooter; 10/14/17.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I guess the one in my Africa example took an impact because it was off, but it exhibited pretty inconsistent tracking as did all my Leupolds, impact or not so not totally a baggage handler issue.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,743
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.