Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like a good time was had by all. He is a handsome boy. I like him..

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow, badass dog!! that's gonna be my next breed right there. Very cool!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A wonderful accomplishment! Great job, he is a fine animal. German system dogs are awesome. I may have another one some day, but where Iive I'm not dealing with the damn porkys again.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bane update. I saw SPJ's comment above and it was ironic that Bane met his first porcupine not long after that. We drove 8 hours to OK to hunt quail, spent a bunch on out of state tags and motel room, only to have him jump a porky 2 hours into the hunt. That was rough and he took a week or more to heal up. But now he is hitting on all cylinders at 12 months of age. His biggest problem is my shooting really. Missed a ton of quail in Nebraska and my share of pheasants in CO. The drahthaars are hunting machines and I am very happy to have this guy to hunt behind.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats a dang good looking dog who appears to be shaping up great! Well done!

IC B2

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yesterday was our last day to hunt in the 2017 season. His rookie year ended on the best note though. Birds were scarce after 3 months of hunting and it was unseasonably warm. Bane tracked this old rooster down and he flushed at the edge of shotgun range. I winged him and 80 pounds of drahthaar went to work in waist high weeds. I just left him alone to do his thing and after about 3 minutes and a bunch of chaos, he came trotting out of the brush with the best pheasant of the season.
[Linked Image]
Later, my son and I were trying to pinch some birds off in a weed thicket surrounded by picked corn. Its a small patch and the birds tend to flush way out of range there. After all of our training, my 14 month old draht stayed in the heel position across 200 yards of corn and remained in the sit position while watching my son slowly work up towards the weed patch. I gave him the break command and he cautiously entered the patch with both of us in position. Of course there were no birds there that day, but I was very pleased how all the hard training seems to have paid off. My only regret of the 2017 season was I wasn't able to get after waterfowl with him after a bunch of water training. That is on the top of the list for 2018. Sorry for the brag post but proud of my dog partner.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
great job

teaching a dog to heal next to you while hunting pressured areas really pays off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome job by the both of you!

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Finished our first VJP test yesterday. Bane put up a 74 which had him tied for first when we left. Regardless it was a strong showing. He's a big ground covering dog and held his point solid until I walked 75 yards over to him and leashed him up and led him away.

Anyone who is going to buy one of these drahthaars needs to set aside the time required to train them and test them. It's been a big benefit to Bane and myself and he's turning into a very reliable gun dog. What they can accomplish before their first year is amazing to me. Bane's now 18 months and 85 pounds.

Edited to add, he ended up in 2nd out of 15 dogs running. Really happy with his effort and where he is at for his young age.

Last edited by 30338; 04/29/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome!! Congrats to the both of you! 85# is a lot of dog!!! Especially in a DD.

IC B3

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
He's put on a few pounds since I had to stop running for a couple months. He'll be hunting in the upper 70s is my plan. The fat boy did pretty well though lol. Planning on getting a second and hunting a pair of them in next few years. They're pretty special dogs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The few DD I've been around sure are special dogs. They were my pick, but due to a variety of reasons ended up with a cousin to the DD. I too would like to add a partner, but I'm not sure what that'd do to my current domestic tranquility...

Hank's weight stays about 55-60#, which is about what I was hoping for. My wife's really gotten into running and I've done more this year than in the past, so he's staying somewhat in shape. Biggest thing we have to watch here is the heat/humidity. He gets hot, fast.

I think it's great what you and Bane have accomplished. I seriously overlooked the time/space required to do the training with my dog, especially when he was very young, that I needed to have done. He does fine, but he'll never bring home an award or ever really impress anyone. But, we have fun!

Last edited by pointer; 05/01/18.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Your pup is coming along great. And I still have to think that around 60-70 pounds is optimum for running hard hunting. No good way of knowing when you grab a pup how big they'll be. This one outgrew his parents by a bit.

Here is to a great fall for us and our pups. Still hoping we might meet up in Nebraska or Kansas sometime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Due to my not being able to run him as much as he needs, Hank can go all out all day for about 3 days in a row. Last year in IA he was a bit sluggish and stayed very close on day 3, until he got the first whiff of a pheasant. After that he was running well, but probably not quite as willing to plow through the brush as he was the day before.

I hope you two have a great fall!! Kansas this fall is looking like a good possibility for me. I'll be in touch.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Followup post. Bane just hit 2 years old and is working out well. He is 27" at the shoulder and around 80 pounds. If a guy has time to train and hunts quite a bit, these drahthaars sure seem like good choices. I have really enjoyed watching him work this fall. [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30338 and Pointer,

Love seeing your dogs on this site. Really like GWPs and currently am on #4 and #5.

Finally got around to gettting some pics of past and present GWPs.

Male Thor (Black and white) and female Abbey worked great as a pair especially on mearns. He hunted @ 75-100 yds, She was within 50 yds. They have been gone for over 5 years now.

[

[Linked Image]

URL=https://imageshack.com/i/poAJvtQPj][Linked Image][/URL]

Asa almost 5 (mostly liver) and Oli almost 2 (lethal white) are the new pair. They are three years apart from same sire and dam. Both are in the 70 lb catagory shoulder's 24" or so. Asa is the best mearns quail dog I have had to date.

Last edited by Azshooter; 11/28/18. Reason: pictures reversed
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AZshooter, great looking dogs there. Mine would not know what to do with a mearns. Those look to be the perfect size to me and I am partial to liver color. Hoping next one is that size and color. Do you do anything to toughen up the feet at all before hunting the cactus?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very good looking dogs!! These draht's make my pudelpointer look like a princess! LOL. Bane looks like a critter getting monster! Great looking dog!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am fortunate that we have a large backyard/horse corral that encompasses 2/3 of an acre. It contains rocks, and cactus. These two run all over that land keeping their feet tough year round.

Gambel quail hunting is the toughest on their feet. There is a great deal of cactus in their habitat. Dogs often get thorns while we hunt. I carry tweezers and some hemostats. Once home the feet are inspected with the use a jewler's loop in bright sunlight to find the small thorns. If I were to come from out of state I would consider some of the rubber booties that some tape on if you had to hunt several days in a row.

Scaled quail hunting is easier as there are few thorny cactus but rocks can cut and bruise their feet some.

Mearns is the best with much of the running on soft slopes but there are rocks too.

I am certain any bird dog would figure out how to hunt mearns. They are always in groups and leave a pretty good scent trail where they have been feeding.

Check out these pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Most of the trees are oaks and those wonderful grassy slopes will have mearns. How far do you want to hunt?

Last edited by Azshooter; 11/28/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted Mearns for a day a few years back with a guide south of Patagonia. It was a blast and in some amazing country. He brought 4 dogs and we'd run 2 until they got tired, then rotate them out at the next spot. 'Twould love to get back to do that again. That would be a LONG drive from here, so if I do it again, I doubt I'd be able to bring my own dog...

[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.