Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
SNAP,

Pardon me for pointing out that my 31YO S-Class MB is still a BETTER all-around motorcar than ALL of the so-called British "prestige" cars that are currently made.

Btw, at one time or other, I've owned most of the British "flagship" sports cars. = I even once owned a Daimler Dart 250 drop-head coupe & a Sunbeam Super Tiger, IF you remember those.
(My 14YO, but well-maintained, Porsche 356 dropead was a better car than my XKE was when new.)

OTOH, the known incompetence of British car-makers has nothing to do with how good/reliable that the .303 British cartridge is as a military/hunting round and/or its numerous "stepchildren" are NOR > 8 decades later, that the BHP is STILL a great choice as a "fighting" pistol, "when the chips are down". = I used to carry a PAIR of Canadian-contract BHP when I was stationed OCONUS.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/15/17. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
GB1

7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's a personal preference not liking the 303 nothing more .I'm sure there are rounds I like that some don't. Thats fine we all have our likes and dislikes.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SNAP
Yeah, all those crappy British cars, ------toss em all,

Agree. Toss 'em all.

All of those British would be speaking German if it weren't for us.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bullshit, but, this has been hashed out here in past years, is not going to benefit anyone to revisit and I will avoid it as I prefer to discuss guns and hunting, especially on the "Canadian Forum."

I enjoy this aspect of The Campfire and choose to ignore falsehoods, braggadocio and the more offensive aspect of some behavior. So, I drive Japanese 4x4s and compact cars and own guns from many nations.

Back to the .303, let the delusional fantasize as they choose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28

That's funny. I'd bet the Russians would have other thoughts on that not to mention all the other Allies that were in it from the start.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I love the old 303 Brit. My Grandfather, Grandmother and uncle all worked at the Enfield plant in Ontario during the 2nd WW. Every time I see and Enfield with the word Longbranch stamped into it, I wonder if one of my family helped make that rifle. I also tend to buy then when I seen them too...I have several Longbranch rifles. I've killed my biggest Moose, my biggest Black bear and up until a few years ago, by biggest Mule deer with the trusty 303 Brit. Out to 300 yards, I wouldn't hesitate to take anything with a 303 Brit, great cartridge.

Last edited by Cpt_Canuck; 12/15/17.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!

If guns kill people, does that mean I can blame misspelled words on my pencil?
7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Agree. Toss 'em all.

Your a [bleep] dick head

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Agree. Toss 'em all.

Your a [bleep] dick head

So, you are entitled to your banter & opinions but I am not?

That wasn't very nice for you to say that.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I did some business with you a few years ago, found you a nice guy and we were friendly, so, I chose to avoid an unpleasant confrontation here.

However, your comment about Britain, etc, is not only historically wrong, it is highly offensive and I KNOW the factual history of both wars to a considerable extent. Many members of my family bled and even died fighting the fascists and so perhaps we should just leave this here and continue our mutual good feelings to our mutual benefit?

7STW is a hell of a good guy and a BC logger, I often disagree with him as I do here, but, do not make insulting comments. OK?

7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Meant your being a dickhead

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My first big game rifle was a 303 British and it worked just fine on everything from antelope to moose. My hunting experiences were every bit as satisfying when that rifle was all I had as they are now that I have too many. GD

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

Fwiw, a fellow here in The Alamo City had his British-made sporter, formerly in .303 British, bored out to deal with a "shot out" barrel & accept the same bullet as the .358 WCF. = He calls it the .360 Express & says that it does a FINE job on all sorts of large game out to beyond 200M, using a 250 grain GCCB at about 2,000FPS.

Fwiw, that's quite similar to my CB load for my 9.3x62mm. - Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to use my Model 760 Remington in 9.3x62 on ANY game animal in the Western Hemisphere. Therefore I suspect that Roy is 100% correct about the lethality of his wildcat.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/16/17.

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
7STW is a hell of a good guy and a BC logger, I often disagree with him as I do here, but, do not make insulting comments. OK?

Originally Posted by 7 STW
Meant your being a dickhead

I apologize to both of you for the offense. Was just trying to be playful. Had no idea of your stance on the matter. Again, I apologize.

Robert E. Lee
7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I apologize also. I have no business throwing insults at anyone

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7STW;
Good morning to you sir - may I send a sincere tip of the hat to you and Reloder28 for taking the high road here.

For whatever it's worth to you both, you've earned my respect gentlemen - well done. cool

On the moose cartridge thread, I've killed exactly one Okanagan bull with a .308 Norma using 200gr Hornady RN bullets because I'd read they were the proverbial "bee's knees".

Turned out that they came apart in inglorious style, neither exited and while the moose died, I shot one more animal with them - a first rack whitetail - and then relegated them to shooting rocks.
[Linked Image]

When you mentioned your dislike of the .303 British, my late father immediately came to mind, so thanks kindly for stirring up some grand memories of many, many hunts and hunt stories. Dad killed a few moose with first a borrowed No 1 Mk III and then with one that he owned. Even though it worked - his brother, my late much loved Uncle Frank used one for all his hunts and I eventually bought it after he'd passed, Dad just detested the .303.

Funny enough he bought a .250 Savage next and preferred it to the .303, but then traded the 99 for a Winchester Model 100 in .308 which he considered the ultimate moose gun. The farmers didn't call them moose rifles - they were "moose guns".

I shot my first whitetail with that .308 and Dad gifted it to me eventually, but I couldn't make it run reliably and traded it on a bolt action '06 before too, too long.

Anyway sir, again a tip of the hat to you both and Merry Christmas to both your crews on either side of the medicine line. Happy New Year to you all too.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/17/17.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SuperCub

That's funny. I'd bet the Russians would have other thoughts on that not to mention all the other Allies that were in it from the start.

Oh the losing side before the "tide" was turned, got it.

Lend-Lease ring a bell?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last 6 years I have gotten 5 bulls. Three with the 168gr TTSX from the 30-06 at 20 to 200 yards. None stayed in the moose.

One with 180gr Sierra Pro-hunter in a 300WM. Behind the shoulder, down in less than a minute, no steps taken. No pass-through.

The other was with a 140gr TTSX in a 7SAUM.

Watched another this year with a 7-08 at a little over 100 yards, 140gr TSX. Bullet went through the spine, barely missed the far side scapula and hung up under the hide.

Have used 308Norma with several different bullets, 300WM with several different bullets in a number of different rifles, several 30-06s with lots of different bullets, 7x57 with several different older bullets, 35WAI with Speer bullets, 375AI with 270gr TSX... probably forgetting some.

Riley has used the 25-06 with 80gr TTSX and usually gets full penetration and dead moose. He has also used the 7x57, but the was used to apply the Hindu dot to a big cow... DRT!

I wonder how those old Kodiak guides I knew managed to die of old age, what with packing those old Enfield 303s around...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Oh the losing side before the "tide" was turned, got it.

Lend-Lease ring a bell?

Lend-Lease certainly does ring a bell. It was the only way Roosevelt could contribute to the war effort without actually entering the war as the voting public would not have it. Had not Hitler declared war on the US, they might not have been in Europe at all.

My point was that the war was won by the concerted effort of the Allies. Not one single country deserves that credit.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
On the old 'fire, no matter what section, the start of a thread has precious little to do with the ways it turns.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excuse my fellow Americans.
We are proud, and have much to be proud of.
However, where two certain skirmishes are concerned,
their understanding is not quite complete.

And no one else can really understand the Russian situation.
Our effort was remarkable, as was most.

The Russian industrial effort and loss of life is a story that is almost unbelievable.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.