Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
I guess I’m missing the point of having tv in a location like that.

I want to be able to watch a game after hunting

BP-B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by wabigoon
How many airline miles will the antenna pick up a signal?

I bought the system listed above at Denny'sTv because I am, what you would call, in a "fringe" area for reception. With my antenna system and an inline amp, also from denny's, I am picking up signals consistently out to 70-80miles, and anything closer is no problem.

I have a rotor on mine, but I can leave it in a 300-degree heading and pick up about 80% on my broadcast stations without moving the heading.

The small antennas out there in the $20-$50 dollar range will work if you are really close to tramsmitters, or in a large city area that might have a few broadcast stations. By "close" to the transmitters for these antennas, I am talking 20miles or less....you might receive stations further out, but not likely unless their transmitter output is very high.

Without getting too deep into theory, when the FCC forced broadcasters to drop their analogue transmitters to go digital, the digital signal has to be received at the TV at a higher signal strength, or it wont "lock on" and display the picture. So, digital broadcasting is a bit more fickle to receive than the old analogue mode.

When analogue was the normal transmitting mode, you would receive a picture, even with it being weak, fuzzy picture, lines of interference on the screen, etc...

Digital looks much better, but if you cant receive a signal strong enough to satisfy the receiver, you get nothing... with digital it's all or nothing...

There are analogue-to-digital converters out there also for older "pre-digital" TV's that are still out there..

dave

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria

I bought the system listed above at Denny'sTv because I am, what you would call, in a "fringe" area for reception. With my antenna system and an inline amp, also from denny's, I am picking up signals consistently out to 70-80miles, and anything closer is no problem.

I have a rotor on mine, but I can leave it in a 300-degree heading and pick up about 80% on my broadcast stations without moving the heading.

The small antennas out there in the $20-$50 dollar range will work if you are really close to tramsmitters, or in a large city area that might have a few broadcast stations. By "close" to the transmitters for these antennas, I am talking 20miles or less....you might receive stations further out, but not likely unless their transmitter output is very high.

Without getting too deep into theory, when the FCC forced broadcasters to drop their analogue transmitters to go digital, the digital signal has to be received at the TV at a higher signal strength, or it wont "lock on" and display the picture. So, digital broadcasting is a bit more fickle to receive than the old analogue mode.

When analogue was the normal transmitting mode, you would receive a picture, even with it being weak, fuzzy picture, lines of interference on the screen, etc...

Digital looks much better, but if you cant receive a signal strong enough to satisfy the receiver, you get nothing... with digital it's all or nothing...

There are analogue-to-digital converters out there also for older "pre-digital" TV's that are still out there..

dave

Where do you mount the pre amp? Seems like it needs power. I don't want to run power to the roof.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton

There are no longer any VHF TV channels to pull in. That spectrum space has been reallocated to other services since the advent of HDTV.

This is not true for all areas. Checking antennaweb for your area will show which bands and channels the available broadcasters are transmitting on. In my area digital channel 10 is actually on VHF channel 8

Last edited by Smokey262; 10/14/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know, this discussion is funny in that it's the same as in the pre-cable days. Digital sucks in that you need a 100% readable signal. Watched many shows on analog with varying degrees of snow and atmospheric conditions. The human brain is wonderful in the ability to compensate and extract the data you want.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In any weak signal work the preamp should be as close to the antenna as possible. Power is typically piggybacked on the same cable that the signal uses. I've not worked with digital preamps but that should all be included with the amp.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If not for the amplifier on the antenna, I don't think we would get TV. A rotor helps if you need directional.

In NW Ontario , there is NO over the air TV. Dish, Satellite, internet, or nothing.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
When the signal reaches the antenna, it is simply a radio frequency signal. The amplifier has no way to "know" what form of modulation the signal is carrying, digital or analog. Same old analog amplifier works for all signals. It mounts right at the antenna, and gets its power over the same coaxial cable that brings the signal down.

By Google Earth, I'm 49 miles from the mountain where our local transmitters are. I pull in all the stations solidly on a two bow-tie antenna, good weather or bad. That said, I have a favorable location, though my antenna is "looking" through some greenery, which tends to reduce the signal in summer, but not enough to make a difference. The attached picture is my installation, a simple chimney mount.

All our local stations are in the 500-675 MHz UHF range. I thought everyone had moved out of the lower bands. If some DTV broadcast is still going on on the old VHF band, then my assumption was wrong. So you'll have to check the frequencies used in your particular area. If you're UHF only, then this installation is effective.

[Linked Image]

If there is a mountain between you and the transmitter, chances are you're out of luck. If the problem is just too many miles, then you can go to a four bow-tie or an eight bow-tie arrangement. If your antenna is pointing through a lot of greenery, more bow-ties will help.

They make a lot of different antenna designs. I'm partial to this one because it offers reasonable gain and bandwidth with modest wind load characteristics, and aiming is not quite as critical as some other designs. I'm sure that the other designs work just fine as well.

Last edited by denton; 10/14/17.

Be not weary in well doing.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When denton speaks, I listen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Denton,
We've got one here in the upper VHF band. I have an old portable Sony with continuous tuning, no detents. Makes a nasty racket sounding like cable bleed. Used to enjoy tuning that little Sony when atmospherics were right. With ducting Kansas City would come in like I was at the transmitter and not 500 miles. Now it's the low end of FM, occasionally get a killer signal from a Texas religious station. Usually when I want PBS classic music, wipes out the PBS station - and then you get the back-and-forth as the ducting goes unstable. mad

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
When denton speaks, I listen.

I'll try to be careful about what I say.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
nighthawk....

Yes, when you get those tropo duct openings, interesting things happen.

When I lived in Michigan, there was a distant two meter repeater on the same frequency as our local one, but it had the transmit and receive frequencies inverted. When we got a little tropo going, the howling of the feedback loop was kind of amazing.

Sadly, the days of monitoring channel 2 to catch ionospheric openings on 6 meters are gone. As are most of our sunspots and exciting propagation. Hope we don't slide into a long term solar minimum.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
denton, on rare occasion, some folks here have said nice things about me. Now I have a reputation to try to keep. It sorta cramps a fellers style when you get angry blush

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by blairvt

dave

Where do you mount the pre amp? Seems like it needs power. I don't want to run power to the roof.

The pre-amp is normally mounted just under the antenna on vertical mast pipe, or I have seen them on the boom of the antenna. The amps are powered thru the coax cable via a power unit that can be mounted anywhere in the coax run.

True, the signals that reach the antenna are just "radio waves" and it doesnt care what they are...but the receiver on the end of things needs to be digital these days to receive TV signals, unless you have a converter for use on the old analogue receive tv's.

dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did the signal finders search thing. 3 stations, one weak, two no signal. Same it has always been around here. Living in the mountains ain't always a plus.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you got that on a little indoor antenna, something outdoors will probably get the weak station solidly and might bring in the two it could detect but not display.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one of these for use at the cabin, and it works very well, other than the fact it is directional, and the tv stations are all around us, needs to be rotated, but it does have a built in rotator, and amp.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HDTV-Rot...&wl12=34176799&wl13=&veh=sem

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=Rooster7]
Here is the search tool:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps?startpoint=62274#

dave

There was another site that I remember that would also show the direction in degrees for the TV stations listed for your zip code. That way you could marginalize the direction to pick up the channels you wanted.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by tpcollins
[quote=Rooster7]
Here is the search tool:

dave

There was another site that I remember that would also show the direction in degrees for the TV stations listed for your zip code. That way you could marginalize the direction to pick up the channels you wanted.

Tvfool.com

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by tpcollins
[quote=Rooster7]
Here is the search tool:

dave

Tvfool.com

Most all of these, all you have to enter is a zip code for them to work:

http://otadtv.com/tvtower/index.html

http://www.overtheairdigitaltv.com/tv-station-locator-tool/

https://www.antennaweb.org/Address

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 78 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.