Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlie,
That's a good drill you're using. I use it and have used it to help other shooters try to pull it all together at the same time.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Spend the money on the trigger. A $300 handgun benefits just as much as a $600 or $1000 handgun.

I didn't say I wouldn't.....just that I hate to...

I understand, been there done that. Think of it as walking by a room where one of the bulbs in the fixture is burned out. You finally pull out the ladder and change the bulb. With the room fully illuminated you kick yourself for waiting so long.

Yea.....I was just trying to keep the cost of this exercise down but this isn't the first time that idea's gone out the window and probably won't be the last.

Originally Posted by MOGC
Charlie,
That's a good drill you're using. I use it and have used it to help other shooters try to pull it all together at the same time.

I moved back to seven today. That's where I started at before this thread and Travis suggested starting at three.. Naturally I was better yesterday at three but I'm definitely ahead of where I was back then. I have three ten round mags so I shoot three ten shot groups pretty much every day. I moved back when I could get all ten touching in all three groups consistently. I'll move again once I can do it at seven. That is...if I ever get there with this gritty stuttering trigger. My 1911's trigger is ten times better but I'm pretty sure the cost of 45ACP vs 22LR would surpass the cost of a trigger job on my little Ruger long before I achieve minute of bunny accuracy..

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
You can go to 7 yards and beyond. Much further with a good trigger. But still do those 3 yard drills every now and then. Mix it up. Shoot the most accurate gun you can afford. Then it is all you.

Yondering-

Yea, I do not know much about the G thing. Never wanted too. Never will.

Great guns, but not for me.

Guests bring them to my range all the time. They offer to let me shoot them. No thanks has always been my answer. But I am a stubborn old cuss.

I have converted many of the G men to 1911's without trying to do so. Just say'n.

A lot of them shoot both. That's fine for them.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Update......I'm now able to consistently get ten shots touching at 3yrds.......moving back to 7yrds tomorrow....

Also.....after several hundred rounds I've come to the realization that my little Ruger....as reliable as it is....has the worst trigger known to mankind.
I hate to spend a bunch of money upgrading the trigger on a $300 pistol and hope it doesn't come to that but I'm hell bent at this point so it might come to it.
I've also learned along the way that as far as the which is more important.....trigger control or front sight debate goes......for me it's a tie with a TIGHT grip following close behind. That's just me though and I'm self-taught soooo.

You could correct the Luger-esque grip, funky take-down and likely get a 40%-50% better trigger simply by swapping it for a Buckmark. Doubt you'll give up anything in the reliability or accuracy departments, either.

It's MK IV 22/45.......the grip isn't anything like a luger (that would be the regular MK pistols) and as for the "funky take down"....you simply push a button and the bolt and barrel seperate from the frame.
A big factor in my decision to buy this gun was to practice with something similar to my 1911. I like the gun. It's easy to clean, very accurate with most ammo, reliable, and Rugers CS is as good as it gets . It just needs some trigger work which isn't uncommon in guns in it's price range. I have no intention on trading it for a gun with Baretta's record of non existent CS. In my mind CS is important for a semi with all of their moving parts.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
According to Bill Ruger, the 22/45 was to simulate the 1911. His customers wanted it. FieldGrade is correct.

I like them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Update......I'm now able to consistently get ten shots touching at 3yrds.......moving back to 7yrds tomorrow....

Also.....after several hundred rounds I've come to the realization that my little Ruger....as reliable as it is....has the worst trigger known to mankind.
I hate to spend a bunch of money upgrading the trigger on a $300 pistol and hope it doesn't come to that but I'm hell bent at this point so it might come to it.
I've also learned along the way that as far as the which is more important.....trigger control or front sight debate goes......for me it's a tie with a TIGHT grip following close behind. That's just me though and I'm self-taught soooo.

You could correct the Luger-esque grip, funky take-down and likely get a 40%-50% better trigger simply by swapping it for a Buckmark. Doubt you'll give up anything in the reliability or accuracy departments, either.

It's MK IV 22/45.......the grip isn't anything like a luger (that would be the regular MK pistols) and as for the "funky take down"....you simply push a button and the bolt and barrel seperate from the frame.
A big factor in my decision to buy this gun was to practice with something similar to my 1911. I like the gun. It's easy to clean, very accurate with most ammo, reliable, and Rugers CS is as good as it gets . It just needs some trigger work which isn't uncommon in guns in it's price range. I have no intention on trading it for a gun with Baretta's record of non existent CS. In my mind CS is important for a semi with all of their moving parts.

My bad, I missed the 22/45 thing, BTW the Buckmark is a Browning.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

My bad, I missed the 22/45 thing, BTW the Buckmark is a Browning.

No my bad.....I don't why I was thinking Buckmark was Barretta.... Oldtimers is all I can figure. frown
I'll still stick with my Ruger .though.
A few years back I broke the stock on a 7 year old Ruger Ruger Red Label 20ga. Their web site said "$250 call for fitting cost" so I called and talked to a gal in CS. Told her it was my fault and I'd be happy to pay, just need to know how much. She said send it in with a note explaining what happened. No promises but they just might warranty it. Sure enough I got it back about two weeks later with a brand new stock and an invoice for "NC".so ever since I try to reciprocate when I can.

It would be nice if Remington made a 22 conversion for my 1911 but that would be too easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here you go Compadre... not that I would tempt you to spend money or anything.

[Linked Image]

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-22.html

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those are nice......quite a bit higher than the Ruger was but nice.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here you go Compadre... not that I would tempt you to spend money or anything.

[Linked Image]

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-22.html

Much smaller and lighter than a 1911 Government. But very cool to say the least.

Buddy of mine has one. It is not that accurate for small targets. But very handy in a jacket pocket.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I was happy with myself yesterday Gibby, at the conclusion of shooting my 45-110 Sharps i was headed downrange to repaint my gongs and get my targets stapled to a cardboard box from the previous days checking zero on a 358 and 280 AI, at around 15/18 yards I stopped and yanked the P226 40 outta my pocket, plastered the front sight on the middle of the Redfield diamond as fast as I could and fired a single action shot, one inch low and one inch right of dead center.

I then turned the box 90 degrees and spray painted a black dot, backed off to a measured 15 yards and slow/fast emptied the rest of the magazine, it was a hell of a fun morning.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
I was happy with myself yesterday Gibby, at the conclusion of shooting my 45-110 Sharps i was headed downrange to repaint my gongs and get my targets stapled to a cardboard box from the previous days checking zero on a 358 and 280 AI, at around 15/18 yards I stopped and yanked the P226 40 outta my pocket, plastered the front sight on the middle of the Redfield diamond as fast as I could and fired a single action shot, one inch low and one inch right of dead center.

I then turned the box 90 degrees and spray painted a black dot, backed off to a measured 15 yards and slow/fast emptied the rest of the magazine, it was a hell of a fun morning.

Makes ya' feel good doesn't it.

Now that is the good type of diversity for sure.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn right it does Gibby, I'll never have the fun of running the hell outta semi autos like you guys here or AR's and such like the guys up in that forum, barrel sight shooting Sharps rifles for hunting, and practicing on steel out to 500 yards is such a different discipline I'm glad as hell to hit with any handgun no more than I practice. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What did Quigley say about handguns?

"I never said I can't shoot them, I just don't have any use for them".

.....or something like that.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup! laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thought I'd post a little update on my progress.
I finally bit the bullet and sent my MKIV 22/45 off to Volquartsen so they can work their magic with a trigger/accurizing job.
I'm no expert but I don't think you have to be one to realize that god awful trigger is holding me back.
I can shoot at least twice as good with my Single Six (which happens to be the cheapest one Ruger makes) but it's so much easier to simply load up three magazines for my practice sessions. Ditto for my cheap Remington 1911 but the ammo's cost prohibitive. Matter of fact the Remington actually has a great trigger but that's another thread.
They'll have it for two or three weeks and it wasn't cheap but it'll be worth it (in my mind anyway) to know if it's me or the equipment.

Stand by.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
FG,

Below is a good website to refer to for learning the basics.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/index.htm

Keep the site in your favorites to refer back to.

You will find out that one way does not fit everyone. I think the bullseye methods should be learned first. Practice as much as you can. Use your .22 for that.

After this becomes second nature, then you can speed things up for combat type shooting. But still go back to bullseye practice from time to time keep your skills sharp.

You can introduce a two handed hold and shoot after you master the basics. This is especially true if you go to a more powerful cartridge and longer ranges for hunting.

Like said before, start out slow being conscious of the fundamentals that work for you.

Hope the MKIV 22/45 comes back to please.

The single six is a good gun. The only thing about that gun is the long lock time (hammer fall in this case). You may not notice it at first, but you will after shooting your improved Ruger auto a bit.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Gibby......good advise from all on this thread.

BTW......I also have a 1946 K22. ....The little Single Six is actually more accurate and had a better trigger.

Like I said...."it's their cheapest model" has the Vaquero style grooved receiver and a file to fit your needs front blade.

This is the only pic I have of it.....replaced the plastic grips....I love that little gun.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FieldGrade; 10/29/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My 22/45 trigger sucks.
That and maybe not having the ammo it likes.
Run a 2X and it's over an inch at 25 bagged.
Will get a Volq sear and test it after deer season.
Got it used, 8" w ugly Mk2 frame.

Purchased for squirrel hunting.
Was D&T for optics and unlike a MK3, no LCI

Might rifle scope it for ammo testing.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/29/17.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good luck with it hookeye...I've never shot a handgun from a rest...I've got enough problems without moving to 25....rest or not..HA

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,543
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.