Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Guys,
Who are the known, established AR builders that will build from a stripped lower "anything" you want on it? Meaning, you supply the receiver then get to select the parts, colors, dip schemes, cartridges, etc. On the basic level, I get it, most smiths and even non-smiths can put together an AR but I am not looking for just a "guy" or random gun shop. On the other side, I have looked at the higher end shops like Wilson, Noveske, and LaRue to name a few. They are great but don't seem to build on your receiver but rather from their custom item.

I am helping a buddy who has a receiver from a gun he does like anymore and wants to turn it into an "awesome looking deer hunting AR" but doesn't know where to go. Sure, he could buy a high end custom from the big shops but he already has some of those and wants to recycle his current gun into something new instead of selling it off or having it become another safe queen. He wants to have a hand in the build choosing the parts but doesnt want to have to buy an upper from one company, stock from someone else, then have to send it all off for coating or a dip job. If this was a bolt gun, I would steer him towards Robert Gradous, Jon Beanland, or Karl Feldcamp if you get my point. Who would you steer him towards for a hunting AR to get something special done on his receiver?

Thanks,

John

ARIC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d buy a quality lower from LMT or another known good manufacturer and then let WOA, Compass Lake Engineering, or MSTN built want a I want. Putting one together is easy though so not many make a living off assembling AR’s. Stick with good name brand parts and it would be hard to mess it up.

Send me the parts and cover shipping and i’d do it for free. wink

Last edited by wareagle700; 10/15/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know that any of the above would do exactly anything that someone wants.

Need to find one that does ONLY specialty stuff for that IMHO.

Me, I'd just have someone build the barrel I wanted and put the thing together myself.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GAP will do it for you................they charge about $4,500; they shoot pretty decent too.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
that price almost made me pass out. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin

Well, he's taking about some top gun builders in his post when he mentions Karl Feldcamp & Robert Gradous who surely don't work cheap (I've dealt with Karl a lot) & GAP falls into the category.....................he doesn't seem to understand that other than getting some parts cerrokoted for appearance, that you can buy parts at wherever in the quality/price spectrum you desire & put them together as well as most builders.

You can buy whatever quality barrel you want from whoever, & have them fit & headspace a bolt to it, & you can buy a lapping tool for the upper receiver for just a few bucks......................pretty much all else is just assembly.

MM

J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
In a way, you guys are confirming what I am finding out. There are a LOT of smiths who can put together ARs. I truly get some of the simplicity some of you refer to, as I have done it myself on a few. In this case, my friend wants pretty unique parts and such. Long story short, I am just surprised there are not a few smiths cherised by 24HCF members for ARs on this site, like there are for bolt guns that can handle all or most request in their shop on a customer supplied action. No worries, you were more helpful than you might realize.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Builders realized that the upper is where the magic hasta happen.

Lower, other than trigger, is just there to hold the upper.

But you can't make that much profit just buildin uppers.

So, they make ya buy the whole rig.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
grin

Well, he's taking about some top gun builders in his post when he mentions Karl Feldcamp & Robert Gradous who surely don't work cheap (I've dealt with Karl a lot) & GAP falls into the category.....................he doesn't seem to understand that other than getting some parts cerrokoted for appearance, that you can buy parts at wherever in the quality/price spectrum you desire & put them together as well as most builders.

You can buy whatever quality barrel you want from whoever, & have them fit & headspace a bolt to it, & you can buy a lapping tool for the upper receiver for just a few bucks......................pretty much all else is just assembly.

MM

Oh yeah, get that totally! Both parts. LOL.

Some don't even get that you don't have to have matching colors.... LOL, it doesn't make em shoot better. That said from someone that has stock hardware painted with that mirage green/silver/red paint. LOL.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dtech can build about anything AR related that a guy could want.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a machinist or a gunsmith, but I am interested in building a custom AR. What kind of work needs to be done when mating an upper receiver assembly with a custom barrel? Is it work that anyone can do or is it reserved for an experienced gunsmith? I am assuming you already have the receiver set, BCG and a chambered barrel.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I'm not a machinist or a gunsmith, but I am interested in building a custom AR. What kind of work needs to be done when mating an upper receiver assembly with a custom barrel? Is it work that anyone can do or is it reserved for an experienced gunsmith? I am assuming you already have the receiver set, BCG and a chambered barrel.

Bolt it on and torque to spec. If you are really wanting the best out of it, have the receiver extension trued.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Compass lake engineering is is Fl. They can build a hammer

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Or, just buy this tool and lap the receiver. Only takes a few minutes, and most receivers are not that out of square to require machining.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...per-receiver-lapping-tool-prod20220.aspx

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just a question on lapping receivers, how could it make any difference when the bolt locks into the barrel extension and the carrier fit to the receiver has plenty of clearance? I’ve looked at this everytime I slide a barrel into an upper. As long as the barrel extension’s shelf fits relatively flush it’s gonna work just fine. Has anyone “cured” accuracy issues by lapping after the fact?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
TWR - truing the receiver face (by lapping, cutting, etc) with the bore ensures the barrel is parallel with the bolt; this gives the bolt lugs the best chance of all making full contact. Most AR receivers are not tight enough to hold the barrel parallel with the bore just by snug fit of the receiver to the extension, with the odd exception of course.

That may or may not affect accuracy, and of course most ARs are built without truing.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/31/17.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I understand the theory but the bolt is not solid in the carrier nor is the carrier solid in the upper. Maybe I've just never seen an upper far enough out of line in the few dozens I've seen.

I do remember back in the day, Paul from Bravo Company told me I should use billet uppers because forged uppers were so crooked... I took it as salesmanship since billet was new and I hadn't seen any crooked receivers yet from him.

Anyway just curious if anyone has proven it made a difference.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
DTech or White Oak.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by TWR
Maybe I've just never seen an upper far enough out of line in the few dozens I've seen.

How would you know? Unless you're analyzing bolt contact faces and/or broken bolts, you wouldn't know by just looking at them.
AR bolts are free to shift side to side and up/down a bit (concentricity), but can't do much to correct angular misalignment. A receiver face that's out of true changes the angle of the barrel and extension.

It's the same idea as truing the bolt lugs and receiver face in a bolt action; it doesn't guarantee better accuracy but is one step in making the system work right. Part of that is durability, not accuracy.

AR bolts are free to shift side to side and up/down a bit, but not so much to change angle. A receiver face that's out of true changes the angle of the barrel and extension. In most cases it's not enough to matter for most users, but if you're building a premium rifle and making sure everything's right, you'd true the receiver face in most cases.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's not the same as a bolt gun. An aluminum receiver is not going to change the angle of a steel barrel or extension at the chamber area.

A bolt gun's barrel is separate from the area the lugs contact and can induce stress if not true. The only time stress can be added to an AR is when the barrel extension is threaded in.

Again, has anyone seen lapping a receiver change accuracy for the better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 42 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.