Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
When I sell to someone as a private individual they can email a copy of the FFL or not, as I understand it the ATF discourages that. So I just ask for the first three and last five digits of their FFL number and run that through the ATF EZ-Check website to verify it is valid and current, then ship to the address posted there.

I also state very clearly in my ads that their FFL must accept shipment from a private individual.

Question for you Jim,
how do you get around UPS or Fedex asking for a copy of the FFL before they will ship?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
BP-B6

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My local FFL charges $20 inbound. $30 to $50 outbound depending on amount of insurance desired. Frequently have him do the boxing and packing as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
basspro in san jose , California requires a deposit (for sending it back ) before the actual shipment , just in case if the gun is illegal in California , something like threaded barrel on handgun or the entire line of glock gen4.

Last edited by persiandog; 10/15/17.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have had a lot of problems lately with receiving FFl holders not wanting to send copies to private individuals. I think this is driving many private sellers out of the market

Yep, and they used to do it no problem before.. One of the things I've also noticed...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The seller does not need the actual copy, just verification it is valid as well as the address that is on the license. That all can be obtained without the entire license number

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KenMi
The seller does not need the actual copy, just verification it is valid as well as the address that is on the license. That all can be obtained without the entire license number

Thank you

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by KenMi

FFL EZ check.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have not sold anything online but have made several purchases using Gunbroker, all new firearms and most from reputable dealers with a lot of feedback.

The only complaint I have is that shortly after using a credit card to purchase a rifle from Roadrunner Guns in Phoenix, someone tried to use that same CC number to purchase $600 in tires in Phoenix. Fortunately for me the bank refused to authorize the purchase. I'm not saying someone at Roadrunner was responsible but I'm not much of a believer in such :coincidences", either. One of the reasons I pay with a CC for all online purchases instead of my debit card is for the fraud protections.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
When I sell to someone as a private individual they can email a copy of the FFL or not, as I understand it the ATF discourages that. So I just ask for the first three and last five digits of their FFL number and run that through the ATF EZ-Check website to verify it is valid and current, then ship to the address posted there.

I also state very clearly in my ads that their FFL must accept shipment from a private individual.

Question for you Jim,
how do you get around UPS or Fedex asking for a copy of the FFL before they will ship?

I'm sorry but I don't really have a good panacea for all locales since the place I ship from never asks. I try to always ship via FedEx since they have the cheapest rates and I create and pay for a shipping label online. The fully packed and labeled box is taken to my FedEx place, I walk in and cheerfully say "this is ready to go", hand it to the counter person and walk out. They don't ask and I surely don't tell. I also ship handguns via FedEx ground the same way - to them it's just another small box among millions they handle every day. That works for UPS as well, just bring in a fully labeled package ready to ship and drop it off with as little conversation as possible.

Maybe someone can quote the rules on requiring an FFL and tell the counter person to stuff it but since I haven't experienced that I haven't had to come up with a solution. In pre-internet days when I used to ship via UPS and would fill out the packing slip at the hub where the form does ask for the contents I'd write "Machined parts" or my favorite, "Varmint Drill". That never raised any questions.

Also, when possible I will buy a shorter box and break the long gun down into two shorter components so it doesn't look like a rifle or shotgun, and never, ever put anything related to guns in the address. If it's going to "Joe's Machine Guns, Handguns and Weapons of Mass Destruction Emporium and Bait Shop" then I label it "Joe's" or some such.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Law is you have to ship to an FFL holder if going out of your state. Thats it. Nothing more. Don't have to have a copy. Don't have to have the FFL #. Don't have to check anything online. It is up to you to determine how you know it is going to an actual FFL holder at their proper address.

What turns it into a cluster is when a private shipping company (UPS, FedEx) has their own rules they want followed and then their employees interpret those rules even differently than they're supposed to.

Then you get FFL holders that make their own rules (that they are free to do so, its their business) but state they are laws when they are not. That adds to the confusion.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.