Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Is it worth trying to sell on these websites? I really see, big distributors selling new stuff.

I have a rifle posted here and 3 other hunting/shooting websites. would I have better luck on one of the big ones?

How do they charge you to post?

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Gun broker does not charge until you sell. Exceptions are a fee for a view counter, thumbnail picture, etc. I have had very good results on GB but I don't sell too much, two rifles this year. Check out this link of fees.

http://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/fees/

I'm not wild about Guns America any more. I don't think they get the traffic that GB does.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've sold a number of firearms on Gunbroker, never used GunsAmerica so can't comment there.

But I've had good results on Gunbroker, you get a huge audience and the listing doesn't cost you anything until you sell unless you add some of the special features, and even those are pretty cheap, maybe $3-4 total if you want a fancy listing and hit counter. Once it sells the final value fee isn't steep IMO, certainly a lot less than you'd pay for a consignment fee at a gunstore.

The other benefit is that you get a pretty good real market value for your goods. Lots of "it depends", but decent goods generally find a good price by auction and sometimes if you have a particularly nice or somewhat rare specimen you can get a lot more than you think. The other side of course is that your goods are listed alongside and competing with many others, but the very wide audience is the chief advantage.

Just take good pictures and describe it honestly without being too verbose and if someone wants it, they'll find it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
More than anything, bear in mind that the market is very soft right now. Shops are stuffed with inventory and sales are slow, which might change after the mid-term elections, but for now that's the deal. Auction sites don't make it better for sellers. They offer a huge selection of merchandise, which is great for buyers.

If you're focused on money, then your best bet is definitely a face-to-face private sale IF that's legal where you live.

My issue with online sales is the costs that you don't think about until you hit the checkout lane: shipping, transfer fees, taxes, credit-card fees, etc. Where I live, that can easily add another $100 to the cost of the transaction. When you factor in all of that plus the time and hassle of shipping to/through an FFL, doing business with a local shop is about the same cost and a lot faster.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There are no local shops (especially smaller ones) that can compete with online prices. Many times online places have free shipping and no cc fees. A ffl transfer fee is usually less than state sales tax

You just have to read before you bid if using gunbroker.

Slickguns.com generally shows the lowest online prices for normally stocked guns from a huge national database. Many dealers also price match

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gunbroker is the way to go if you want exposure.

B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys for the feedback

it is not the best time to sell for sure, especially a very "specific" item. These will never sell in a LGS , and reaching a huge audience, the odds of someone seeing exactly what they are looking for is much better.

I also agree, shipping will kill you especially if you ship extras like dies, ammo, bullets, accessories, etc.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Gun broker does not charge until you sell. Exceptions are a fee for a view counter, thumbnail picture, etc. I have had very good results on GB but I don't sell too much, two rifles this year. Check out this link of fees.

http://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/fees/

I'm not wild about Guns America any more. I don't think they get the traffic that GB does.

I agree. I've had great experiences buying and selling on GB. However, it's pretty much a buyers market right now...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve had good luck buying and selling here and on GunBroker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

^^^me too^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had very good luck with Guns America in the past. Seems to be going downhill lately. Guns International is my current favorite

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by hanco

^^^me too^^^

Add me to the list. It's a gutsy move, but buyers on Gunbroker love auctions starting with a penny. I am more than happy to pay the Gunbroker fee, plus an additional 5% to my LGS for a listing.

He takes the pictures, takes the calls and packs and ships the firearms. I pick up the remaining cash. It works for me.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had a lot of problems lately with receiving FFl holders not wanting to send copies to private individuals. I think this is driving many private sellers out of the market

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what prevents me to buy a gun/pistol online is cost of FFL which is about $150 is some shops. how much is it where you are?
P.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$20-$25 is common around here. Guy I used to deal with charged $15 for veterans or active duty military/LEO/firefighters but he must be having personal problems because he turned into a real butt so I don't use him anymore. Some shops charge ridiculous fees but I think they do so just to discourage people from using them. I have the name of a fellow around here who supposedly only charges $10 but he's on the other side of town so I haven't tried him yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I sell to someone as a private individual they can email a copy of the FFL or not, as I understand it the ATF discourages that. So I just ask for the first three and last five digits of their FFL number and run that through the ATF EZ-Check website to verify it is valid and current, then ship to the address posted there.

I also state very clearly in my ads that their FFL must accept shipment from a private individual.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by persiandog
what prevents me to buy a gun/pistol online is cost of FFL which is about $150 is some shops. how much is it where you are?
P.

My local FFL charges $20. He used to be $10. He's also my gunsmith when I need one. Very reasonable, $150 is a rip-off.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Thanks guys for the feedback

it is not the best time to sell for sure, especially a very "specific" item. These will never sell in a LGS , and reaching a huge audience, the odds of someone seeing exactly what they are looking for is much better.

I also agree, shipping will kill you especially if you ship extras like dies, ammo, bullets, accessories, etc.

If you have an odd item and want top dollar, you cannot beat Gunbroker. Ship the gun to the guys FFL, but send the dies, brass, bullets and accessories direct to the guys house via USPS Priority flat rate insured and with tracking. They do not need to go to an FFL and it’s relatively cheap to send it USPS.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have had a lot of problems lately with receiving FFl holders not wanting to send copies to private individuals. I think this is driving many private sellers out of the market

Do you have to get a copy of their FFL? I thought the only requirement was that you shipped it to a Dealer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by irfubar

Do you have to get a copy of their FFL? I thought the only requirement was that you shipped it to a Dealer?

I have always thought a copy was needed and I would keep that copy in a file with everything else for each transaction.

Jim in Idaho says you just need to verify it is going to an FFL, I may need to rethink this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.