Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone have any experience with one? Considering purchasing one. It will end up being scoped and used for shooting small critters 75-100 yards away.
Might consider other brands of single shots if they are reasonably accurate with a good trigger.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a Hornet for years and it's probably my favorite rifle, all things considered. For the use you describe, I'd get one in .17HMR. It's almost certain to shoot well, and ammunition is widely available and reasonable in price, compared to the .22 Mag. The mag seems to be preferred for larger critters, but that's not what you described. The same rifle is also made in .17 WSM,,but the jury's still out on the fate of that one, and the new A17 ammo for the Hummer gives it a little boost towards WSM performance.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
How is the accuracy with your Hornet? 17 or 22?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have one in .22 WMR and it has become my go-to for "walking varmint hunting" here in CA. In my region we have to use non-lead ammo even for ground squirrels, and it took a little fussing to get the rifle to shoot that to POA. But no big hassle, partly because I've found the non-lead ammo isn't very lethal at longer ranges than about 80-100 yds. Ground squirrels are tough little critters and I don't like to see them go into their holes after being shot. Jackrabbits it kills dead-dead at almost any range. I killed one coyote with it but that was probably just luck, and took two shots with the non-lead bullets.

So I limit my shots to about 50-75 yards, which means hunting in areas that have some cover, spotting a squirrel, sitting down and waiting for him to present a good target (actually I prefer this style of hunting to just sitting 200-250 yards away from a colony and shooting them when they pop up). If you're allowed to use normal ammo and try what's out there in your rifle, you could shoot at somewhat longer ranges. Mine shoots "minute of squirrel" (1") at 50 yards with the nonlead, so that's good enough. (Not sure what accuracy you are looking for...).

If you put a scope on yours, I'd suggest the Medium rings. I originally tried Low rings and couldn't comfortably cock the hammer under the bell of my Nikon 4X. A bigger scope would have been impossible.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
How is the accuracy with your Hornet? 17 or 22?

Accuracy has been stellar, but only with my handloads. The factory ammo I tried years ago when I bought it was disappointing.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mesa
... snip...
If you put a scope on yours, I'd suggest the Medium rings. I originally tried Low rings and couldn't comfortably cock the hammer under the bell of my Nikon 4X. A bigger scope would have been impossible.

It might be possible to use an extension on the hammer and keep a low scope mount. There are advantages to low mounting. The scope height is a factor on head shots and has to be allow for. I will always try for a low scope mount first. It might be better to get a Leupold 2-7x rimfire scope. The Nikon's are on the big side.

I shoot 1 inch at 100 yards with either Hornady Vmax 30 grain or CCI 30 grain polymer tip in all my 22 mag rifles. One or the other. The green ammo, does not have a very good reputation for accuracy. You almost need a new 25 caliber rimfire for green ammo to get the required mass. For the rest of the world, 22mag seems a good choice for long range and versatility. There is no ammo shortage or price disadvantage today. That is an old story.

I have a ruger, cz and anschutz bolt actions in 22mag. All three will deliver 1 inch at 100 yards for 5 shots. And will zero to shoot within an inch of point of aim at 25, 50,75 and 100 yard targets with vmax. With accurate shot placement, the 40 gr FMJ, takes the 22mag to the next level.

A good comparison, IMHO, between 17 hrm and 22mag is how the 243 stacks up against the 308. The 308 will do 'almost' as well as the 243 on small stuff at longer ranges while the 243 falls way short on black bear, moose or elk size game.

I would love to get an 1885 in 22mag or maybe a Hornet. ... I need to save my pennies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine was tagged at $695 at the LGS in 2000, but I traded a couple of rifles I wasn't happy with for it, reserving the Vari-XII 3-9 from one of them for the new one. They had 3 in stock, and I picked the one with the best wood. Can't imagine that any of the others could have shot better.

As to green ammo, I worked up a decent load with 30gr Varmint grenades, just for grins, but my go-to bullet is the 40gr V-Max, until I run out, at which point I'll try the bunch of Varmageddons I picked up at SPS. I also have some 46gr Speer FPs for turkey and squirrel loads at .22 Mag velocity over a light load of 2400.

Great little guns. Your pennies will be well-spent.

BTW, they don't recommend dry-firing them, so pick up some snap caps, if you buy one.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm late to the party, but love my little .22 Hornet. Have had good accuracy using some Hornady soft points. 40 grain? 45? I cant remember what I'd bought. Mostly using LilGun for powder.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a low wall in 22lr
Great little rifle, I was wanting a single shot in 22lr and considering having a Ruger NO.1 converted
After owning this rifle I would not want a rimfire built on that large of an action

I am one gun away from happy
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wish this gun was made in 218 bee.

NRA Patron
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.