Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I just bought a Model 70 Super Shadow in 300 wsm. Appears almost new and hasn't been fired much.
I attempted to shoot it for the first time yesterday. After the first shot with factory ammo the bolt was hard to rotate.
After the second, it was REALLY hard to rotate. Changed ammo and bolt would not close. Cartridge would go into chamber but bolt would not rotate into locked position. Needless to say I quit at that point. Any thoughts?

Just tried to chamber a once fired piece of brass and bolt will not rotate to closed on it either.

Last edited by fgold767; 10/15/17.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Scratches on the brass might equal rough chamber or ramp issue. Scratches or wear marks on bolt might equal action screw or a scope base screw way too long, or the lug surface,s inside chamber are rough. Break down the bolt check cocking peice threads for rust or bad machining , look at threads inside of bolt body itself for same issue.shine a light inside of bolt and see if is clean. Check firing pin spring and retainer. Then again the bolt might be rusted all to chit inside for all ya know if you have never taken it apart. Gawd knows what a previous owner has done or not done. Sounds like something binding inside the bolt itself if their are no scratches on the bolt itself or on the brass. Jmo...... edit.........put safety into intermediate position and press in ramped shaped detent on left side of cocking peice to unscrew and disassemble bolt. If needed do some google-fu on mod 70 bolt disassembly.

Last edited by renegade50; 10/15/17.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
New Haven WSM's have been known to have out of spec, egg shaped chambers. Your issue with once fired brass suggests that you have one of those jewels.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
New Haven WSM's have been known to have out of spec, egg shaped chambers. Your issue with once fired brass suggests that you have one of those jewels.

That was also my first thought. OP, keep us posted on what the problems is.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Talked to Winchester this morning. Since it is a "G" serial number, they will not service it or even look at it. I was told they quit doing this the first of this year. Amazing....Ruger would want it back and make it right.....and I have 3 other "G" series in the safe...
oh well, off to find a local gun smith.After I take bolt apart and clean it and the chamber real good!

Last edited by fgold767; 10/16/17.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Must be something new. I sent in a "G" series rifle last year to replace the bolt & they also put it in a new stock n/c. They seemed pretty willing to work on it, might wanna call back and talk to someone different.

Last edited by tmitch; 10/16/17.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
So today I took bolt apart and cleaned and oiled it. Nothing of note inside except it was DRY.
Really cleaned barrel with emphasis on chamber area....really dirty....so I tried to load it....fired brass not
sized I bought used will not chamber...the 2 emptys from the other day will...
factory loaded rounds will chamber and the bolt can be forced down....will have to shoot it again
to find out what happens now. Will advise...but it will be a few days.
Thanks for help

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Roll your once fired brass across a flat surface and see if it wobbles...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Roll your once fired brass across a flat surface and see if it wobbles...

Nope, smooth roll

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Couple of questions... is all the fired brass outta this gun? Factory or reloads? Reason I ask is I could not get WSM brass sized correctly. Had the ram on the shell holder. Finally noticed slop in shell holder, inserted a .007 shim under case in holder. Was able to get brass to proper shoulder size and my issues went away.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Scott I have a bag of once fired brass from a commercial source. The few I tried to chamber will not . I have 2 pieces of factory
brass from a box that I shot in the rifle. They will chamber. I have several other boxes of factory ammo and they will not chamber.
I have cleaned this sob till I am tired of the smell. It will be off to gunsmith today!
Thanks for the idea.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunsmith is probably a good thing. Still sounds like a chamber issue to me.. Keep us posted. Thanks..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would make that second call to Winchester!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Yeah I did that yesterday and got the same response. Told me to send it to Midwest Gun Works or something like that. When I
asked who was going to pay for that I was told I was....right. So I asked for a supervisor who just happened to be out sick. IF he calls me Monday, we'll get into it. Wish me luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure sounds like a chamber that is cut out of spec. A go/no guage set should indicate if this chamber is cut properly in short order. In any case, it sounds like a couple thousandth's deeper cut with the finish reamer and a little polishing should take care of it. IMO

Of course, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. smile

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Bob: great minds think alike! Thank you. You and my gunsmith and I are in agreement with this....now all I have to do is convince
Winchester to stand up and be counted!
And if they don't? Well, I work for 2 gun shops, work at 6-8 gun shows a year and know a lot of other dealers who sell at those shows....guess who wouldn't be selling any more Winchesters? As an old boss once said: "It takes a lot of atta boys to make up
for one oh shxx......." this is their oh shxx moment.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fgold767
Yeah I did that yesterday and got the same response. Told me to send it to Midwest Gun Works or something like that. When I
asked who was going to pay for that I was told I was....right. So I asked for a supervisor who just happened to be out sick. IF he calls me Monday, we'll get into it. Wish me luck.

Another reason not to buy a new Winchester..... Being made in Portugal, kind of did it for me though...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fgold767
Bob: great minds think alike! Thank you. You and my gunsmith and I are in agreement with this....now all I have to do is convince
Winchester to stand up and be counted!
And if they don't? Well, I work for 2 gun shops, work at 6-8 gun shows a year and know a lot of other dealers who sell at those shows....guess who wouldn't be selling any more Winchesters? As an old boss once said: "It takes a lot of atta boys to make up
for one oh shxx......." this is their oh shxx moment.

Like I've been saying: "Sounds like a chamber issue"... wink

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The last years of production at the New Haven Winchester factory are well known for exhibiting very poor finishing and quality control. I am disappointed, but not surprised, that the current Winchester company wanted nothing to do you with your rifle; from what I have seen, the Portugal/Miroku/FN/Winchester company rejects any ties to the past that can't be used for marketing.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Made in 2004

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.