Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Formi, John,

Do you have any experience with the Trijicon AccuPower 3-9x? Seems like it might be a decent scope for set-n-forget, where a lit reticle might be useful. Curious about zero retention, brightness control, and effectiveness of the different reticles on movers in low light.

Thanks,

Jason

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Trijicon states that the AccuPower is designed and assembled in the US (see below). Seems like they know what it takes to built a rugged scope (ACOG for example), but I wonder if this carries over into the 3-9x.

The 3-9x is $515, online.

Are all Trijicon products “Made in USA”?

The vast majority of Trijicon products, including all ACOG®, RMR®, Reflex, MRO®, Night Sights, SRS®, VCOG®, TARS®, CCAS® and Archery Sights are designed, engineered, machined and assembled at our facility in Wixom, Michigan and are therefore 100% Made in the USA. A few of our products, including AccuPoint®, AccuPower®, and our observation products are assembled here in the USA, but have significant components which are purchased in either Japan or the Czech Republic. All Trijicon products are designed here in Michigan and have the same stringent quality processes applied to them. All of our products are backed by our limited lifetime warranty. Each product is marked according to its origin.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I am sure they are great but can't say for sure because I own only AccuPoints, which I highly recommend. I own a number of very nice illuminated scopes but the single, bright dot in the AccuPoint is by far my favorite for those movers in low light you spoke of.

I have picked up lightly used 3-9x40 AccuPoints on eBay for as low as $400. The controls on all of them are solid, and the glass is as good as you buy without getting into the heavy stuff, like ATACR and Razor.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
I am sure they are great but can't say for sure...

There seems a hint of equivocation in this part of your comment!

No harm meant, just kidding with you mate....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
4th point,

I used a 3-9x AccuPower on my NULA .30-06 for several years. In fact used it to take one of my bigger mule deer bucks in Wyoming at close to 400 yards.

It had the TR20-2 reticle, with an illuminated dot in the center, and hashmarks on the thin crosshair portions of the plex-style reticle. The dot came in handy a couple of times, but when I took the mule deer had to use a lower hashmark, which wasn't any problem since it was mid-afternoon. That would be about the only "problem" encountered with the scope.

I like the illuminated aiming point on the Trijicon's, partly because it's not dependent on a battery, but mostly because it's not too bright, as all too many electronically illuminated reticle are, even when turned to their lowest setting. A too-bright reticle can interfere with the view of the animal through the scope in dim light.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
4th point,

I used a 3-9x AccuPower on my NULA .30-06 for several years. In fact used it to take one of my bigger mule deer bucks in Wyoming at close to 400 yards.

It had the TR20-2 reticle, with an illuminated dot in the center, and hashmarks on the thin crosshair portions of the plex-style reticle. The dot came in handy a couple of times, but when I took the mule deer had to use a lower hashmark, which wasn't any problem since it was mid-afternoon. That would be about the only "problem" encountered with the scope.

I like the illuminated aiming point on the Trijicon's, partly because it's not dependent on a battery, but mostly because it's not too bright, as all too many electronically illuminated reticle are, even when turned to their lowest setting. A too-bright reticle can interfere with the view of the animal through the scope in dim light.

You meant Accupoint? I have the 3-9x40 accupoint with the green dot cross hair reticle(TR-201G) and you are correct the dot is just right in lowlight.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 10/16/17. Reason: added model number
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4th Point, I have an AccuPower and an AccuPoint scope. The Accupower is a nice scope, but I far prefer the AccuPoint- no batteries and the illumination self regulates its brightness intensity depending on light.

During a doe only hunt I had a chip shot on a doe about 10 minutes before last light, but when I raised my rifle topped with the AccuPower, I couldn't see anything. By the time I figured out what was going on and regained my vision, the deer was long gone through my shot opening.
It was my fault- I had the brightness set on it's highest setting from the range earlier that afternoon. With an AccuPoint that wouldn't happen. I also find the illuminated reticle much crisper in the AccuPoint.

So for me, for another $100 bucks, or so, I'd take the AccuPoint over the AccuPower all day.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Formi, John,

Do you have any experience with the Trijicon AccuPower 3-9x? Seems like it might be a decent scope for set-n-forget, where a lit reticle might be useful. Curious about zero retention, brightness control, and effectiveness of the different reticles on movers in low light.

Thanks,

Jason

Not a ton of experience with those. Have seen a few AccuPowers/points and haven't discovered any glaring issues, but I just don't have enough time/rounds on the to definitively say that they are good. If I was in the market for a set and forget scope, they would be one that I looked at however.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oldelkhunter,

Yeah, I meant the 3-9x Accupoint. Assumed that's what 4th Point meant in his post, since there is no 3-9x AccuPower, but slipped up when typing it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Oldelkhunter,

Yeah, I meant the 3-9x Accupoint. Assumed that's what 4th Point meant in his post, since there is no 3-9x AccuPower, but slipped up when typing it.

There is a 3-9 AccuPower; here is a link to one example:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...008_accupower_3_9x40_riflescope_red.html

Trijicon should have chosen a better name to differentiate their LED scopes from the dual-illuminated scopes. I had an Accupower 1-4 and found it to be a robust scope with good illumination, but the ranging reticle was too fine for use when illuminated.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trijicon has a 3-9 AccuPower and a 3-9 AccuPoint;

Trijicon 3-9 AccuPower

Trijicon 3-9 AccuPoint

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think the accupower 1-8 is the one that I am interested in to put on an AR even though the battery lasts only 31 hours on max, kills me that the others are so much cheaper than the 1-8 but as they say "it is what it is"

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Weight is another factor to consider if that bothers you. The Accupoint is much lighter then the equivalent Accupower.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info dudes. I was thinking about the 3-9x AccuPower, but the 3-9x AccuPoint seems like it might be the better option.

Jason

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 57 invisible), 3,208 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.