Print Thread
Hop To
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have JL Galef single shot in 20ga. I'd like to use it for pheasant but where I hunt I am required to shoot steel. The barrel has a fixed choke of unknown restriction, though through a little research, I have found that the majority of these guns are choked full. So, as per the title, can I shoot steel? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can, but there's a pretty good chance that lots of it will damage the barrel in some fashion or another.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You can shoot it just fine for safety purposes.

It might bulge your barrel a little near the choke. If it is just a cheap old single shot, then blast away, nobody will ever care.

If it is something high end, then no way.

R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It's not a high dollar gun, but I'd just as soon not damage it. Other than bismuth, are there any other non-toxic choices that would be safe?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think that the new Hevi-X is advertised for old guns.

I think that Kent Tungsten-Matrix is for old guns too.

But Bismuth is by far the most affordable.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Part of the "can I shoot steel" equation is the size of shot you are using. I've shot a lot of steel 7s in my modified and IC choked guns with no damage (as measured with an interior dimension dial caliper). But the bigger the shot, the more likely the damage.

Another factor is that this gun may have a chrome-lined bore, following the original Beretta "Companion" design. That might mitigate the damage potential of shooting steel. It also makes re-choking more expensive since the 'smith needs to use a specially-hardened reamer. I don't remember the Italian for "chromed" but it is something like "cromati" or "canne chromate". If your barrel has anything like that stamped on it, you probably could shoot steel 7s in it with no damage.

As you note, these more inexpensive Italian guns tend to be choked tighter than a gnat's azz, so you may want to get it opened to IC anyway. Just let the 'smith know beforehand if it has a chromed bore--I got a decent cussing from a 'smith who didn't believe me when I told him how hard "hard chrome" is. Cost him a reamer.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the info fellas. This is a MAVI manufactured gun, BTW, not a Beretta, don't know if that makes a difference. Have thought about getting the choke opened up, not sure I want to spend the money though, got other priorities, like saving for a nice O/U. Think I'll just buy a box of bismuth and use it sparingly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bismuth will work and also my favorite, Kent Tungsten Matrix. Before you faint at the cost, consider this: you will have "lead performance" and in the context of all you might spend on gas, food, and other things, hunt-related, the cost of these loads will decrease. And also, consider how few (maybe more) shots you will also take in a day, and again you will have "lead performance."

The KTM are nearly - very close - in density to lead but are softer so your gun is safe.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If carry steel and shoot lead. Make sure you change shells when old greenness is walking up on you

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
If carry steel and shoot lead. Make sure you change shells when old greenness is walking up on you

Here the feds carry metal testers and check every shell you are carrying...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 31 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.