24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry my father's guns, and my grandfather's guns. I will not be parted from them.
My best shotgun is not the one I bought, but the one my father bought for his dad, many years ago. It is a Mossberg three shot bolt action with a poly choke. Best bird and small game gun I've ever fired. Taken several deer with it as well. I am nearly as fast with a bolt as most are with a pump, and it knocks down pheasants when everyone else has given up trying.
Next up would be the rifle. A glenfield model #60.22lr 17shot tubular magizine, a gift from my father.
Pistol would be the 9shot .22lr my dad owned until workmen in his home, stole it from his room. With that gun, I could harvest apples by clipping the stems. It was an extension of my will. I have never found a suitable replacement for what he lost.
(That pistol had a history, and played a role in my father/mother's marriage, so it had a hand in me. If I ever catch the thief, he will wish he had called the cops himself) (if you wish the story, PM me.)
Knives, I have a fixed blade my grandfather made for a kit, with a full tang and stacked leather rings for a grip. It rode on my hip until I passed it on to my son. The Mossberg three shot bolt action also went to him this past Christmas.
I'm careful with the heirloom stuff, but it will be used for what it was intended. A tool for a purpose, and using it, as my forebearers did, is a connection to my heritage. That link is missing if it just gathers dust on a shelf. My grandfather's knife is not high quality, wouldn't hold an edge for too long, but served me as it served him, skinning and chopping as needed. My 100+yr old Sterlingworth s×s takes to the outdoors each year for the same reason, to walk the path through history with a new companion, a continuance of purpose.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Stuff is stuff. Material things, regardless of where they came from, mean little to me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I buy the cheap Mora knives on Amazon for carry knives. Leave the nice ones at home. If I lose a Mora or break one no big deal. They sharpen and hold an edge pretty well too.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hands down favorite deer knife is a Buck 118 for cleaning and butchering. I have two old ones that I use, one in my pack and one in my truck. If they get lost I have two brand new ones in reserve - I'll be back in business shortly. What good is it to own something you love if you don't use it?

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The two main things I see here in losing knives (apart from scumbag thieves that is) would be poor sheath design and forgetfullness at the gut pile. If you have a knife that is special and want to use it then the simple answer is to look at the sheath and make one that is a deep pouch style that retains knives better than any other style. I lost my first and only bought knife over 45 years ago which is what prompted me to start making my own as not only do I not like wasting money on lost items but the old style sheath with the dombed strap round the handle is about the least secure sheath style that there is. I have never lost a knife since that first one as the sheath design about as lose proof as it can get but worn behind the hip, it is out of the way of any brush etc that might otherwise catch and cause a lost knife from other pooly designed sheaths.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer Pirate carry. Clenched in my teeth.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Several years back my dad left his Schrade, USA made, at a gut pile of a cow elk he shot one evening. He went back later to look for it, couldn't find it though. I got him a new one at Christmas time. Next year, we are out elk hunting again. Dad shoots another cow, goes to roll her over and not 10 feet away is his lost knife from the previous year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago I was hunting deer on my own property and was lucky enough to take a deer on the first day of the season. I set about doing field dressing with my prized custom drop point hunter. Got the deer dragged out and loaded on the pickup. Must have set the knife on the tailgate of the pickup. Got home and no knife. Went back and retraced every step. Did that a few more times and finally gave up.

5 years later my wife and I were out at the property shooting some targets in anticipation of the coming deer season. We were walking across the filed towards a target when Linda yelled out that she had something stuck to her shoe. Sure enough, she had stepped on the knife. The blade actually went right between her toes.

Unfortunately the very beautiful stag handle was ruined, and there were a few pits in the blade even though it is a 154 CM stainless blade. So I invested a few bucks to have it cleaned up and a new handle installed. I still use that knife today, but have not yet purchased a replacement sheath for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Several years back my dad left his Schrade, USA made, at a gut pile of a cow elk he shot one evening. He went back later to look for it, couldn't find it though. I got him a new one at Christmas time. Next year, we are out elk hunting again. Dad shoots another cow, goes to roll her over and not 10 feet away is his lost knife from the previous year.

This is really cool.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have an old fixed blade Western that my Grandfather bought new before he shipped out to Okinawa in WW II. I'll just say from stories I heard as a kid that he used it on an enemy during the war. After that he used it on moose, caribou, deer, fish, Antelope and probably fixing a car or two. He left it at an antelope gut pile once in the 60's, drove back some 80 miles the next day to go get it.

I've now had it for 20 years and used it on moose, deer, elk, bear and antelope but no cars. That's what the leatherman is for. I've taken it out of the country but probably won't again because I'd be devestated if I ever lost it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Only knife I lost was a pocket knife I stuck in a wood fence post after gutting a squirrel.
One year later when back in that same area I retrieved it. It sets on a shelf above my work
bench at eye level as a constant reminder to do equipment check before leaving.

I also lost a revolver that fell out of its holster when I stepped over a log in the trail. About a half
mile on I discovered the loss. I backtracked and found it also.

I lost my mind once and only made a partial recovery of that, but it works good enough for retirement.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm sentimental about some of my old stuff, too.

For Christmas, 1956, my grandfather gave me his 22 rifle ---- A single shot Iver Johnson Model X. I hope one of my daughters or grandkids will keep it in the family.

I have the Walther P38 (with permission slip) that Dad brought home after WWll --- I hope someone treats that one right.

My Dad never carried a knife but I have Grand dad's old pen knife.

Other posters:

Those old Pumas were jewels -- sorry you lost it.

The old Boulder, Colorado Westerns were excellent knives, also --- I still have two -- one with a hatchet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

True story: I lost a small Buck folder down the "[bleep]" once.

Had it in a small sheath on the right side of my belt.

After doing my "business" I stood up and hit the plunger before doing up my belt.

I saw the knife and sheath fall OFF my belt, make a circle, and was GONE!

It was too late to even make a grab for it.

My knife now goes on the left side of my pants, or in my left pocket, by it's self.

Virgil B.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
452 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.