Print Thread
Hop To
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
My son has outgrown his Remington Compact 870 20ga and it is now time to find a full size shotgun for him. I am looking into an auto for him. This will be my first time buying an auto as all of my pumps are Remington. So I am not really well versed on autos.
And I actually may get a light 20ga for my wife and daughter since both are of small stature. (I seen someone mention Weatherby SA 80 20ga as a lightweight version and thought of this for my wife and daughter and oh heck I'd probably use it too but I am a lefty.)
I have the Browning upland 20ga and think my wife and son like the pistol grip shotguns better so I am going to trip this shotgun down the road.
My son has enjoyed shooting shotguns alot so I am willing to go up to $1000 or a bit more as I know he will probably keep a long time. My son became 14 last summer and is a strapping young boy...he just outgrew his compact 870 pump that he learned shotgunning with.

I saw someone state Remington is now selling the 1100 and they have a 3" chamber. Seem perfect for my son (and I may use it some and become acquainted with an auto.) But I prefer to have the 26" barrel and it looks like they come in 28" barrels only.
Are there other options I should consider besides Remington? Obviously I'd like the most dependable shotgun so what other makes should I consider? Franchi? Weatherby? Benelli? Beretta?

This will be used for clays but Coyote hunting since we hunt mostly woods or semi open woods this is why I want the 1100. We all know Remington quality is not what they used to be but are the 1100 models as good as the previous 1100's?

Thanks for your ideas.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want the most dependable, by a Benelli Autoloader. It and the tried and true Remington 1100 are the ones I shoot and use the most. Both are Uber reliable. The only thing about Remington 1100's is you have got to keep them clean!

And for a light 20, that's cheaper for your wife, the Weatherby SA 80 works very well. Remington also released some new Synthetic stocked 20 ga 1100 that retails for just under $500 bucks. Though not near as light as my Benelli Ultralight 20 ga auto, they are less half the price and work as well as any.

I highly recommend that you let your wife and daughter handle several different models to see which fits them the best.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In the 20ga go with the Winchester SX3 20. Comes in wood or synthetic in black or camo. Super soft shooter and it uses the old Browning Gold operating system so its very reliable. I've owned 2 of them and they are excellent guns. I actually sent a Benelli m1 20 and m2 20 down the road after picking up the sx3 20. I liked them that well. I do agree with the above poster though to let the girls handle a bunch of guns to see what fits them best. I'd also do the same with your son. You mentioned the $1k mark and there's a lot of great shotguns in that price range. If you don't need the 3.5" capabilities that opens your choices up even more. Benelli's M2 and Browning's A5 are two great inertia guns. Then you have the Sx3 12ga and Beretta and Remington both have gas guns in that price range. However I steer clear of Remington now. Unfortunately the Remington's of today aren't the same gun that they use to build

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Franchi gets my vote.

Affinity if you need 3”

Otherwise AL48

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You need to go to a well-supplied gun store, and have them handle a bunch of guns including 12 gauge.

The ergos will tell them what they like.

As an example, I had picked out a couple of 20 autos for my daughter. I let her go down a rack of shotguns and play with all of them. When she grabbed a 12 gauge Benelli Ultralight, she immediately said "this is the one." Nothing changed her mind from that. The price is out of my range, but at least she knows what she wants.

IC B2

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Benelli M2 is one of those I am considering for my son. Alot of choices nowdays when it comes to scatter guns. I know I am getting the 12ga for my son so maybe the Benelli would be good with the inerita. I think I will wait until later late in the year to get my wife/daughter theirs. I might as well let them shoot some more with the pump 12ga Youth Remington. We have a Cabelas here but unfortunately they do not carry all of the shotguns I want my families to try. Maybe a LGS will carry them.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Give the Beretta A300 a look. That or a SX3 would get my vote.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Most of the 12 gauge autos are good nowadays. It's all about "fit" with a shotgun. Get to a big store and have them start shouldering all of them. Some model will stand out from the rest.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
822 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,249 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.