Print Thread
Hop To
C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I purchased this scope from a great fellow campfire member. It should work perfectly on my newly acquired German combo 20 gauge/25-35 win. I purchased two different sets of claw mounts from eBay Germany, they arrived withen 10 days! Shipping cost was 6.50 Euro, hell I don't think you can ship something USPS that cheaply, let alone across an ocean! Anyway, the Zeiss Jena 4x scope has awesome glass for its age, and the German #4 reticle just looks perfect for this application. Scope body is in really good condition with just a few wear marks here and there. Not bad for a 60+ year old scope! The only issue is the center rail mount. The scope has been mounted on several rifles over its lifetime, judging by the 4 different holes drilled through the rail. None of these holes are anywhere near where my rear mount will fall, so I decided to plug and refinish the rail to get rid of the swiss cheese look.

I found an old broken 3.5mm 17-4 surgical drill bit in the scrap pile at work which is the perfect diameter for plugging the holes. I used a dremel wheel to cut 4 plugs to rough dimension and epoxied them in place with JB weld. I ground, filed, and sanded them flush with the rail and am quite pleased with the result!

I will be taking it as it sits right now to my gunsmith to decide which mounts to use. This decision will dictate if I need to plug one of the front rail holes also. I am hoping not as one of the front mounts lines up perfectly with the holes. From there all that is left is to recolor the rail - most likely black paint as the original finish appears to be the same. Here are a few pictures if interested.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12239764#Post12239764

Last edited by cotis; 08/29/17.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great job filling the holes! Most of the rail scopes I get have been mounted twice over their life.

That front AKAH claw portion looks like a perfect fit. I would guess the scope was last fitted with AKAH mounts. I think with your background and equipment you will do a clean job mounting the scope on your smaller BBF. The small Zeiss Jena 4X30.5 is about a perfect match to it, IMO.

Keep us posted, please. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Painted the scope over the weekend. I am happy with the results. Hopefully I will get the rifle back from the gunsmith within a month so I can work on getting the claw mounts fitted!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Looks like new.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cool stuff for sure!!! I have one drilling with claw mounts I'd like to find some rings for but getting the fit.....wow. My hat is off to you!!!!!!!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B2

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have the rail mounts complete and scope touched up. Only waiting on the rifle to be back from the gunsmith. I have some very minor shimming to do on the front two cam surfaces.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by cotis; 01/02/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.