Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,678 of 1,842 1 2 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mmmm moose meat! And Moses soup! Lol.

How old is your daughter? She'll have a blast! It sounds like jack may not miss mn deer season. His pheasant hunt may not work out. It was a beautiful day in the north woods today. Took the new wheeler for a 25 mile rip. So there's 25.3 miles on it now. grin

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wow photobucket didnt take 5 days to download.

Buddy has more pics, he's in Wy chasing speed goats.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Maybe you should have been hunting Buffalo. grin

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Buffalo is on the bucket list.

My daughter is 12.

Bought her Ruger American compact .308 using Hornady custom lite for bullets. Crazy how much less recoil there is..

What brand of wheeler did you buy?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My boy has Ruger American compact .223. We love this rifle. He's outgrown the compact stick tho and needs to upgrade to the full sized stock. Which will make a sweet little rifle.

I got a can-am outlander 450 dps. I had my mind set on the new Yamaha kodiak 450eps but they couldn't get one for about a month, and the can-am was $1200 less. That gave me some room to but goodies for it.

I can't believe how smooth it rides! It's not quite as plush as a Polaris, but it's close. But it's worlds apart from the tank like ride of the foreman 450 I have. That one is now for the kids that dont seem to be bothered by bad backs and shoulders.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wow those are awesome photos noduck.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well...he not only didnt get a deer. There were none sighted from the woods. Kind of weird for this area, but jack needed that. grin last year he saw at least one deer EVERY time he sat. I kept telling him, it's not always like this. Lol.

We had fun and it was a beautiful weekend in the woods!

Last edited by tzone; 10/09/17.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Had our northern opener of duck season Sat. Got me and the boy up at 3:30 to hit the road north. About halfway there I remembered that I forgot the dang killswitch cord. We stop at every gas station that's open and finally found one. Might as well get breakfast at McDonalds - they're open. We order some food and 10 minutes later the gal says the fryer isn't working so no hash browns - want a couple sandwiches instead? Sure! I have an egg mcmuffin and the boy has 4 sausage mcmuffins. Damn.

Launched the boat at 5am in driving rain that never let up all day. Couple that with small craft advisorys and things were a little sporty. I chose a drowned rivermouth marsh to set-up in. As soon as we had decoys deployed, some yahoo motors in and cuts the engine and asks what we're doing there. Uh, hunting...you? Some dudes... If he didn't have the attitude I probably would have asked him to join us. Oh well.

Too dark to see at hours and we have birds all over us. Wind is really picking up now and the rain is sideways. We get some shooting but it is futile. It's like hitting a feather in a hurricane. I wear glasses and can't look into the wind otherwise I'm blind with raindrops. I screw the pooch on a 4some of geese trying to change out loads - the boy was waiting for me to call the ball and I'm fumbling about with an empty gun. Smooth.

We finally put one down and the boy is looking sort of white and fidgeting in his waders. What's wrong? I don't think those sausage mcmuffins are sitting to well with me. Dude, there's no tp in the boat and no dry land for a mile. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is it? 8. So we pick up the dekes in record time and I violate the no-wake rule.

While junior is violating the outhouse at the launch, I figured I'd get the boat on the trailer. Backing it up to the ramp I notice one of my tires wobbling like a drunk on payday. Uh oh. I put the boat on and pull her out. Yep, blew a wheel bearing. No tools, no store, in the middle of nowhere. Drop the trailer and head towards town. 4 hours and a hundo later I'm back on the road after changing the bearing in the mud and driving rain.

Sunday I slept in. The boy, who's still grounded for his driving escapades, is eating dry toast and chicken broth with an occasional Immodium.

The tally? 1 drake woody yielding 2 oz of breast meat. I figure it at roughly $2000 per pound, conservatively. shocked

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Haha! That sounds about like my hunts!
You bought a beating for $100? Or did you have to get an axle?

I can raise my hand to guilty as charged on that deal. About 5 years ago on after backing into the driveway from chickenbuck, I noticed my wheel wobbling as well. Same issue. Except, it got so hot it welded itself to the axle. I had to buy a new one. sick

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bearing, grease, new dust caps, cheap hammer- flat screw driver-channel locks-and emory cloth, along with towels and degreaser. $100 is pretty cheap I guess. Another guy stopped by and said he would've had to have it flat bedded to a mechanic -ouch!

The spindle is a mess. I cleaned it up with the emory cloth as much as I could. I greased her up pretty good. It was cool to the touch after an hour on the road. Winter project coming up for replacement.

I ALWAYS carry a tool box. It was a quick decision to go and clearly I forgot some critical items...I blame it on old age or the 80's. I borrowed a bearing puller from the autoshop -had to run back into town to give that back. I think it was raining so hard on the way up that I didn't feel it going. At least that's my story. wink

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by noduck
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wow photobucket didnt take 5 days to download.

Buddy has more pics, he's in Wy chasing speed goats.

All I see is the gray boxes telling me to update my account. frown

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Me too Big Jelly. You could see them when he first posted em.

It was nice and chilly this morning. Good frost on the windshield. Hopefully, we can get another tonight and knock the hell out of the allergies.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Winterizing the boat today. Getting the summer toys all out up for fall and maybe even getting some hunting gear ready. Big maybe on that though. Lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by j_elky
Ryan....are you doing any scouting in CSP lately?

I haven't yet, but I have some good leads from folks who had elk tags this year and some folks I know there. I heard there's a nice 7x7 in one spot, and a valley where there are 2 B&C bucks in another spot. I've heard lots of reports of bigger bucks up north but that's a long ways to drive if I can find deer more in the middle or south portions. lots of good bucks out there for sure. I still have over a month before I can rifle hunt and the rut falls in between there as well. I'll get some more scouting in as we get closer. I have 2 other rifle tags to fill before then smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
first wood stove fire of the year at camp.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Nathan's first archery deer.

[Linked Image]

Joey got some grouse over the weekend.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Most excellent!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good Job Bringing in the Game Guys!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done boys !! (All 3)

Smiling like heck here.

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Way to go Nathan and Joey!!!!

The Shaws will eat well!!

Page 1,678 of 1,842 1 2 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.