Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am also now considering a Franchi Intensity, you can get a brand new Intensity for a fraction of the cost of a SBE or a new A5....The reviews I have read on these seem all good.....Hb

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I don't know if my experience with an SBE applies as I used mine in cold weather waterfowl, but I hated it. One drip of water in the action would cause it to freeze up inconsolably until introduced to warmer climes. The "Benelli click" was incredibly frustrating but could have been overcome with caution in usage. The "click" would rule this out for a turkey gun for me. While it shouldered and shot beautifully, the forearm was always loose and sloppy. The camo finish on mine would come off if you shot it a dirty look. It kicked harder than its gas-operated peers, but was not obnoxious especially considering the weight. At the considerable risk of being a pariah, I would say I found the SBE to be an over-rated, over-priced disappointment. And how I wanted to love that gun...

Can't speak to the new Browning, but I love the old ones. I have one I take out on occasion.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I also have owned 4 or 5 (i cant remember, ha) Benelli SBE's, they are pricey bastids for sure but all mine were good shotguns, no complaints with function but I cant give them the "best shotgun ever made" glowing report that many do, and I do remember the camo finish was not very durable on the shotguns I had......I Never had one with a loose forend though....Hb

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RickBin
I finally gave up on a new Benelli Cordoba (M2) and went back to my old Belgium Auto-5. The latter is unquestionably the most reliable shotgun on the planet. grin

I'm not the Benelli expert but think the Cordoba is more similar to the SBE than an M2 in regards to its design. What trouble did you have?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I finally gave up on a new Benelli Cordoba (M2) and went back to my old Belgium Auto-5. The latter is unquestionably the most reliable shotgun on the planet. grin

I'm not the Benelli expert but think the Cordoba is more similar to the SBE than an M2 in regards to its design. What trouble did you have?

Cycling issues. Tried everything. Got to the point where I was disassembling the buttstock and cleaning the recoil spring and tube after every shoot. Refuse to buy an aftermarket kit to address a purportedly "high volume" dove gun having cycling issues after 150 rounds - especially when said high-volume gun cost me upwards of $1900.

I may have gotten a dud ... but I'm done trying to make my Cordoba a dove gun. Figure that one out. crazy

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Belgian Auto Five Sweet Sixteen... And I think you know that already. Waiting for a pic now... smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's odd. Usually Benellis run fine, until the spring is actually worn out. I would put a Wolff 25% extra power spring in it to see if that helps any (though I know you don't want to put outside parts/money into it).

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

Cycling issues. Tried everything. Got to the point where I was disassembling the buttstock and cleaning the recoil spring and tube after every shoot. Refuse to buy an aftermarket kit to address a purportedly "high volume" dove gun having cycling issues after 150 rounds - especially when said high-volume gun cost me upwards of $1900.

I may have gotten a dud ... but I'm done trying to make my Cordoba a dove gun. Figure that one out. crazy

I have had cycling trouble with the one Benelli M2 mentioned above. The other 4-5 I have messed with have not had a single jam. Sounds like you got a lemon, as my first one was. For what it's worth, a good one can be really good. I have a hard time using much else.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/15/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Internally they're basically the same gun other than bolt shape and how the bolt head is held into place. Also there are lots and lots of reports of the SBE3 shooting way high,too high for shims to help. 60/40 high is a normal bird gun and they have been shooting well above that ratio. I've owned multiple SBE's,SBEII's, and 3 of the new A5's and they have all been quality guns. Get the one that shoulders best for you and run with it. Personally I'd lay off the SBE3 for a couple years until they get the bugs worked out. They'll eventually make them into the solid performers their predecessors are

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I am also now considering a Franchi Intensity, you can get a brand new Intensity for a fraction of the cost of a SBE or a new A5....The reviews I have read on these seem all good.....Hb

I'd like others to chime in on this too. There's a youtube vid that compares the M2 to the Franchi and they seem really similar. I also like that the spring is at an easier place to access.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree Bean, I think I like the spring in the forend better, seems it would be a more simple and easier to maintain system not to mention the Franchi shotguns are quite a bit lower priced than the A5 or SBE......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Luvbowhuntn
Internally they're basically the same gun other than bolt shape and how the bolt head is held into place. Also there are lots and lots of reports of the SBE3 shooting way high,too high for shims to help. 60/40 high is a normal bird gun and they have been shooting well above that ratio. I've owned multiple SBE's,SBEII's, and 3 of the new A5's and they have all been quality guns. Get the one that shoulders best for you and run with it. Personally I'd lay off the SBE3 for a couple years until they get the bugs worked out. They'll eventually make them into the solid performers their predecessors are

I think this is some very good advice.....Thanks Luv,......Hb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I agree Bean, I think I like the spring in the forend better, seems it would be a more simple and easier to maintain system not to mention the Franchi shotguns are quite a bit lower priced than the A5 or SBE......Hb

I have the new version A5 (not 3 1/2 though) and a franchi intensity,,,,,,,like them both. Guess I am lucky as I have never had a failure to load, eject, or any other failure with the A5 in the field or on the sporting clays courses,,

however the last two years I have used the Franchi for ducks (made by benelli according to barrel markings),,,,,mainly becuase it's ugly already (black gun vs the beauty of the A5's wood and blued steel) and I like the high rib for some reason,,,,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Franchi inertia guns (Affinity and Intensity) are great designs built very well for a nice price.

If they fit you, get one of those ahead of the Benelli.

If the Benelli ergos are your thing, then nothing else compares.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here is an update in that as mentioned above, I am a new SBE3 owner. I am about 3-4 weeks and 500 rounds into my SBE3. I just got back from a dove hunt and the birds were flying really high. The SBE3 knocked a few out of the air WAY up there to the surprise of myself and those around me. I am a fair shotgun shot but usually in a group of 25 like this one, there are a few shots better than me. On this hunt I knocked as many birds down as anybody and maybe had the most so the gun made me look really good. So far, my thoughts:

1. I oiled the gun before shooting it the first time and haven't cleaned it yet. No malfunctions whatsoever and have used loads from 1 oz 1200 fps target loads to high brass 1 1/4 ounce.
2. Recoil is significantly less than my old M2. In fact the SBE seems to be one of the lighter recoiling 12 gauges that I have ever fired. I don't know why this is. Maybe the updated stock design.
3. I have not patterned mine but I shoot it really well and don't think it is shooting high for me.
4. The safety button is a little large and I can feel it under my trigger finger when shooting. It bothered me at first but is well contoured and I have gotten used to it.
5. The gun is REALLY long. Mine is a 28" and appears to be slightly longer than my 30" 391 Sporting gun. It handles well so I guess I am fine with it.
6. I always feel Benellis are really expensive for a design that seems like it should be fairly easy to manufacture. So yes, I think they are significantly over priced, but I shoot well enough with them, I live with over paying. Buy once; cry once.

I have several shotguns but am considering making this my primary gun for everything, including waterfowl, upland and sporting clays. I even ordered a second one as a spare and am considering selling my Beretta 391 sporting gun and just using the Benelli for sporting clays. Given how much the two Benellis cost me, selling a couple of guns is advisable and the Beretta sporting gun now feels extraneous.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is your M2 for sale now? If so, give me a PM.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Is your M2 for sale now? If so, give me a PM.

If this is referenced to me, it is now a friend's gun.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
VaHillbilly, I know you said no to the gas guns, not sure why. The recent crop of gas auto's are light and very reliable. Beretta,Winchester,Browning, Remington all make good dependable guns. I was pro Benelli for years till, all these other light gas guns started showing up.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah, i have owned several gas guns over the years and i have found that i like the simple/cleaner shooting Inertia guns better, but its whatever "floats your boat" if you like gas guns best, enjoy........Hb

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Fair enough, then I would go Benelli by A long mile.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.