Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

When you can have one “go to” rifle, and you put all the “dings”,scratches”,etc. on it yourself..... you will carry the memories of those hunts with you to the grave! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
We could take a lesson from Dick Preniky..."alone in The wilderness". For those who haven't watched it...dick disappeared in the Alaska wilderness to live out his retirement...he took a rifle with him....stayed for 30 years.....the rifle ...a model 70 30-06

I like that! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CleverSlogan
New guy here. Been lurking a long time and like this thread - especially that I can read many of my own thought patterns into what others have done or are doing.

Forever I'd only ever hunted with hand-me-down rifles: 30-06 pump action when I was a young buck through early 20's, then my dad's old 7mm when times were tough in my late 20's. Killed piles of deer & elk with those two rifles and they were definitely well worn and just awesome. Nothing particularly fancy either... cheap glass, corelokts etc.

Then I started earning a few dollars and decided it was high time I buy myself a proper rifle at the ripe old age of 37 for a goat hunt on Kodiak. Got myself a new Tikka and Vortex package in 7mm and punched a few tags. The combo was easy to shoot well, easy to carry and gave me no troubles. Then gave it to a good client when he retired as he planned to build the exact rifle setup I had. While it did everything I wanted, it was plain jane boring.

Enter my super duper high fancy Christensen Arms Ridgeline 308. Tiny, light, carbon fiber, titanium, accurate, real nice! Bought Feb of this year and I proceeded to put roughly 500 rounds down the pipe over the spring/summer. Took it to Alaska for a sheep/moose hunt and had the time of my life. But kept liking my party members' old 30-06's for the same reason the OP alluded to; the guns and their respective owners had earned all the dings and shooting them accurately was as natural as throwing rocks in water for my 2 year old son. I have my late fathers Ruger 30-06 in the safe and the old 7mm he gave me being rebuilt into a 257wby. One thing I learned with the CA is that a rifle can be too light and that a carbon fiber stock will chip when a wood or laminate stock might just get a small dent. I also discovered I really like short actions. And I like a gun that has been there done that and has the matching character and successes that always make great stories.

Recently, I bought myself a brand spanking new Browning xbolt medallion (blued/wood) in 300 wsm. The plan is to spend a small fortune shooting the hell out of it on all kinds of hunts until I die. Love the weight, feel and balance. I don't think you can buy a properly worn gun off the rack, but you can indeed buy one and live a great life with it, and that's what I intend to do.

Nice post and welcome to the forum.

Gerry.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My current, a 1996 Classic Stainless FWT 308 Win in a McMillan Hunters Edge Compact and PT&G Al Bottom Metal.

Shown with 6x36 LRD in Low Weaver's, but currently wearing 2-7x33 LRD in Talley X-Low Lwt's. A very consistent shooting rifle.

Just needs iron sights!

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CleverSlogan
New guy here. Been lurking a long time and like this thread - especially that I can read many of my own thought patterns into what others have done or are doing.

Forever I'd only ever hunted with hand-me-down rifles: 30-06 pump action when I was a young buck through early 20's, then my dad's old 7mm when times were tough in my late 20's. Killed piles of deer & elk with those two rifles and they were definitely well worn and just awesome. Nothing particularly fancy either... cheap glass, corelokts etc.

Then I started earning a few dollars and decided it was high time I buy myself a proper rifle at the ripe old age of 37 for a goat hunt on Kodiak. Got myself a new Tikka and Vortex package in 7mm and punched a few tags. The combo was easy to shoot well, easy to carry and gave me no troubles. Then gave it to a good client when he retired as he planned to build the exact rifle setup I had. While it did everything I wanted, it was plain jane boring.

Enter my super duper high fancy Christensen Arms Ridgeline 308. Tiny, light, carbon fiber, titanium, accurate, real nice! Bought Feb of this year and I proceeded to put roughly 500 rounds down the pipe over the spring/summer. Took it to Alaska for a sheep/moose hunt and had the time of my life. But kept liking my party members' old 30-06's for the same reason the OP alluded to; the guns and their respective owners had earned all the dings and shooting them accurately was as natural as throwing rocks in water for my 2 year old son. I have my late fathers Ruger 30-06 in the safe and the old 7mm he gave me being rebuilt into a 257wby. One thing I learned with the CA is that a rifle can be too light and that a carbon fiber stock will chip when a wood or laminate stock might just get a small dent. I also discovered I really like short actions. And I like a gun that has been there done that and has the matching character and successes that always make great stories.

Recently, I bought myself a brand spanking new Browning xbolt medallion (blued/wood) in 300 wsm. The plan is to spend a small fortune shooting the hell out of it on all kinds of hunts until I die. Love the weight, feel and balance. I don't think you can buy a properly worn gun off the rack, but you can indeed buy one and live a great life with it, and that's what I intend to do.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great post. Share your gun's great life with us as you go along please.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've posted this pic many times but the ,338WM on the left would seem to me to be about ideal for the OP's purpose. The stainless barrel was fluted and (I think) trimmed to 22" by the original owner, who eventually went with a carbon-wrap barrel. I got it some years later and had it mounted on a stainless MKII action, then put it in a skeleton "boat paddle" stock. My load is a 225g AccuBond at a relatively sedate 2742fps. Sights are factory originals. Recoil is stiff but manageable. Right now it has a Burris FFII with their Ballistic Plex reticle, 3-9x. Don't know what the rifle weighs, but a 4x or maybe 6x would bring the weight down a tad and perhaps improve reliability of the scope. (Not that I've ever had a problem with the Burris FFII's and I own a pile of them.)

[Linked Image]

The others are a .300WM (center) and a .30-06 (right), factory configs.

If i was building one today I'd go with the current Ruger synthetic stock. I have couple and like them. Suspect the original Zytel skeleton boat paddle stocks are a bit more durable as they are solid rather than hollow.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/17/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Brad
My current, a 1996 Classic Stainless FWT 308 Win in a McMillan Hunters Edge Compact and PT&G Al Bottom Metal.

Shown with 6x36 LRD in Low Weaver's, but currently wearing 2-7x33 LRD in Talley X-Low Lwt's. A very consistent shooting rifle.

Just needs iron sights!

[Linked Image]

Here you go. Winchester New Haven classic,(old style trigger) 21" 308 1-11 Lilja featherweight, Mcmillan compact edge, NECG sights zeroed at 100Y. 5-168 Nosler BT's at 2700 under an 1" all day at 100. Shoots 118 LR, Federal match, M80 ball and factory ammo in decent groups, chambered with my 95 Palma reamer. Shoots tracer into a couple inches for grins...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is one sweet 308... perfect twist, and barrel length. Love the NECG sights. Which bottom metal? Factory 2-piece?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
1 piece factory bottom metal. Funny thing is the housing is aluminum but the floor plate is SS.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice rifles Brad and rgrx. How much do they weigh?

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rifle unloaded weighs 6 lbs 7 oz.
Scope and rings 1.75 Lbs

Total at 7 lbs 14 oz. Could come in under 7 lbs with a lighter scope like a 2x7 and weaver rings if weight becomes an issue.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by greydog
When screws loosen, it is usually because the receiver is moving in the bedding when the rifle is fired. Pillar bedding fixes it. GD

Exactly. Another good reason to glass bed your rifle.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We could take a lesson from Dick Preniky..."alone in The wilderness". For those who haven't watched it...dick disappeared in the Alaska wilderness to live out his retirement...he took a rifle with him....stayed for 30 years.....the rifle ...a model 70 30-06

Probably a pushfeed at that... grin.... Just kidding...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GuyM
Originally Posted by ironbender
I think you were hoping all along he would grab that rifle!

Well, yeah.. He's the fourth generation of our family to use that rifle, in different configurations. I first shot it about 45 years ago.

Regards, Guy

That's awesome. Not a damn thing wrong with that rifle. Just a bit heavy for some of these sissies here... Good suggestion IMHO though...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by SU35
Brad, that is a great looking set up.

Still I like and prefer the 338 Win.

Me, too.

Me 3...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM

I like that! smile

Yeah, that rifle Mr. Proenneke carried looks a lot like a 30-06 I used to own... wink.... Mine probably shot better though..

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Just needs iron sights!

[Linked Image]

Here's an interesting Weaver ring failure. I wrapped up a typical Pacific Northwest wet-weather deer hunt last night and was watching TV in the same room where my lightweight Husqvarna 30-06 was drying out after having been drenched for the second time in as many weeks.

It's this rifle, but with a 4x Leupold instead of the VX-R 3-9x40.

[Linked Image]

I heard something hit the floor and bounce a couple of times. Turns out the cross bolt that goes through the saddle had broken like a button popping off of a fat man’s shirt.

[Linked Image]

To be fair, I’ve been using this ring for 25 years if not more. It’s been on several scopes and dozens of rifles (including two 308’s, more 30-06’s than I can remember, two 338-06’s, a 270, and a 35 Whelen) for thousands of full-power rounds. It’s also been soaked with rain without being dried out or cleaned countless times.

I had checked that rifle’s zero that afternoon, and it was hitting where it should have out to 320 yards, so maybe it was just time for it to go.

Another good reason to have properly-zeroed iron sights on your rifle plus a spare scope pre-zeroed in rings plus any tools you’ll need to swap them out.

Okie John

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Originally Posted by irfubar
The whole Alaska / Canada working rifle blueprint is very appealing to me. The first custom rifle I built back 25yrs ago was based on this basic concept.
Stainless rifle weren't as common back then and I am a Mauser guy.

So I built mine on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action. 338 Win. mag 22" barrel. NECG open sights , early Warne quick detach rings.
Basner stock. Total weight 7.75lbs.

[Linked Image]

I like this rifle a lot.

That's a beautiful rifle. It looks quite close to the .338WM Ruger Hawkeye African I own. Like yours mine does not have a muzzle brake, but has a McMillan stock that is not as fancy as yours. Mine is heavier, too.

Last edited by Ray; 10/22/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger M77s of various flavors seem to be popular around here for boat guns and whatnot. They hold up.

Yup.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,038
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.