Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Finally found a pistol that my fiancé liked! She did not care for my Colt Govt 1911 45acp. Frequently had issues with grip safety compounded by the recoil.

I bought a M&P 2.0 in 9mm because I like how they shoot, low recoil of 9mm along with cheaper to shoot. I took my fiancé to an indoor range and she really like the 9mm M&P and want to shoot it more! YES! Success at last! She still has some trouble racking the slide but perhaps we can find something that works for her. The slide release is WAY to stiff perhaps because it is new?

I'm super excited as the only other handgun that she sometime shot was my 4" Ruger GP100 with 38specials and the gun felt too heavy for her.

Finally a handgun she's comfortable shooting!!!!

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Handled one of the M&P 2.0 full size .40s a week or so ago. A .40 is all they had in stock but it's the same size as the 9mm.
I really liked the ergos. My only dislike was the very aggressive checkering on the grip, but I can easily fix that. I'm waiting for my LGS to get a compact 9mm model in and I will be parting with some cash.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
NVhntr,

Yes I notice the grip on the M&P 2.0 has a more aggressive checkering on the grip but I liked the ergos that still work for southpaw such as myself but still work for my right-handed fiancé. As an FYI, the 17-round magazines are very stiff. My thumbs were getting a workout trying to put in all 17 rounds!

Very soft shooting and pretty good accuracy although we were only shooting at 7yards. We were shooting what ever their cheapest 9mm fmj round was. I think it was "Midwest" 115gr fmj?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by leomort
Finally found a pistol that my fiancé liked! She did not care for my Colt Govt 1911 45acp. Frequently had issues with grip safety compounded by the recoil.

I bought a M&P 2.0 in 9mm because I like how they shoot, low recoil of 9mm along with cheaper to shoot. I took my fiancé to an indoor range and she really like the 9mm M&P and want to shoot it more! YES! Success at last! She still has some trouble racking the slide but perhaps we can find something that works for her. The slide release is WAY to stiff perhaps because it is new?

I'm super excited as the only other handgun that she sometime shot was my 4" Ruger GP100 with 38specials and the gun felt too heavy for her.

Finally a handgun she's comfortable shooting!!!!

I've got two of the older ones, a Compact in 9 and a regular 40. They are sweet guns and if the new ones are indeed better, you will be well satisfied.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Racking the slide on those little semi's seems to be a problem for lots of women. There is a nearly new Browning Buckmark in the gun vault and Sweetness can't even rack that one and it is only a .22. I'm sure thinking Titanium S&W J frame .38 instead.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Windfall, the M&P 2.0 I have is the 4.25" barrel version. She found she able to rack the slide if she switches hands and use her dominant hand. I don't particularly like that as she then has the gun in her left hand and would need to switch back to her right hand to shoot. But at least its a start. This was her first outing with this 9mm. I'm very encouraged that she want to go again! It feels like a won the battle of the bulge or something, lol!

She find the recoil of 38spec in my 4" GP100 comfortable but thinks it's "too heavy" While she may like the weight of the titanium j frame 38spec, I'm pretty sure she isn't going to like the trade off increase recoil.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh! forgot to add. Yes, I've notice that women have tend to have difficulty racking the slides on semi. I'm sure there's a technique to help over come that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most women tend to hold the pistol steady with their right hand while trying to pull the slide back with their left hand. This provides one hand pull force only. They also usually tend to naturally hold it out away from themselves while doing this which is not optimal.
If the pistol is tucked in close with the right forearm against the body and the bore oriented toward the 10:00 position, and the right hand is pushed toward 10:00 while the left hand, with an overhand grip on the slide, is pushed toward 4:00 this provides a push/push force. The women I have shown this method find it much easier to rack the slide.

The other solution is for them to buy a Walther.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by NVhntr
...If the pistol is tucked in close with the right forearm against the body and the bore oriented toward the 10:00 position, and the right hand is pushed toward 10:00 while the left hand, with an overhand grip on the slide, is pushed toward 4:00 this provides a push/push force. The women I have shown this method find it much easier to rack the slide....

That IS the solution. She, or anyone for that matter, has to reach over the top of the pistol with their weak hand, holding the pistol close to the torso, grab the slide with all four fingers in a strong grip and vigorously shove the pistol with her strong hand while trying to rip the slide off of the rear of the pistol with her weak hand.

This uses large muscle groups versus small muscle groups which has a two-fold benefit. First, there is considerably more strength available in large muscles, and second, (perhaps more importantly) is that under stress, we lose fine muscle control long before we lose large muscle control.

Train like this every time and then she needs it under stress, she will succeed and get into the fight.

Ed

P.S., Congratulations, Leo, on finding a handgun for your lady!

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 10/17/17. Reason: added text

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.