Print Thread
Hop To
9x23w Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This scope seems like a terrific bargain:

http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/trophy-xtreme/2-5-15x-50mm#

Has almost everything you would want for medium - long range shooting: - 6X zoom, Side Focus, Illumination, Range Finding Reticle, Long Eye Relief, and a lifetime warranty

but I've only seen one review (it was pretty positive).

Anyone have any experience with this scope?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much do they sell for?

Sorry no experience here.

9x23w Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
$275 from Amazon, I think you could do a little better with some research.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 9x23w

Has almost everything you would want for medium - long range shooting: - 6X zoom, Side Focus, Illumination, Range Finding Reticle, Long Eye Relief, and a lifetime warranty

Glass?

9x23w Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Says 91% light transmission but nothing about glass quality. That's what I'm trying to determine.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No personal experience with that model, and I've had a bushnell on a savage 110 in .270 that I killled my first 3 deer with 15+ years ago that package was won at a $5 raffle with a bushnell on it that has never lost zero but...

...I call Bull$hit!

A $2700 pair os swarovski EL binoculars have 91% light transmission.

A $275 scope with every other feature known to man bolted to it probably doesn't....

Light isn't the only factor either, clarity, color, contrast, and if you are looking for "long range shooting" repeatability/accuracy of adjustments... The scope is usuallly the first thing to fail on a rifle, and it also happens to be the most crucial piece connecting you to the rifle for the shot. You should be spending as much or more on the optics than you are the gun... thats one place the Europeans have us 'Muricans outsmarted...

If you wanna shoot long range cost effectively, get a SWFA super sniper (chicken) in whatever power you like with matcching reticle/ adjustments of your choice. Good adjustments, better than average glass, great reticle, decent price. Talk to Big Stick on here, he will tell you all about it, its not a bad system.

9x23w Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"Light isn't the only factor either, clarity, color, contrast, and if you are looking for "long range shooting" repeatability/accuracy of adjustments."...

Agreed, that's the info I'm looking for.

BTW the cheapest high-powered SS variable starts at $700 and it's not even illuminated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At almost 23 oz, I'd pass

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've heard good things about Bushnell repeatability. Maybe you will be lucky with this one.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 9x23w

Agreed, that's the info I'm looking for.

BTW the cheapest high-powered SS variable starts at $700 and it's not even illuminated.

here's one for $299 in 10X

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

if you are looking at seriously shooting long range on a budget, your gonna have to make some decisions about what features are really useful and which ones aren't. I'm goping to provide some arguments and examples, but ultimately it's your money, your rifle, your choice.

I would argue that adjustments, glass quality, and reticle are the most important things in that order. If you have good glass and a good reticle, you don't need all that magnification, if you are shooting in a warm climate you probably can't use anything over 12-14x anyway due to mirage (heat waves), my scopes at 10x start to get a little wavy after a 5 shot group when it's above 90 degrees (barrel heat contributes), and they do so about 10 minutes in the sun at 105.

The reticle on the bushnell is only "useful" (it's utility can be argued if your load doesn't exactly match the hashlines) at full power. If you dial down to 9 power on a hot day, its just stuff in your view. That is why you see the high $$$ stuff for long range shooting is moving toward First Focal Plane reticles, where the reticle changes sizes with your magnification and the subtension of the markings is accurate no matter what power you have the scope set to. If you're not going to pay for that, you are probably better going with a fixed power and not sweating what magnification is good for your field situation vs. your reticle subtensions. (fixed powers also have less lenses to break/absorb light/ reflect light and generally dollar for dollar are clearer/ brighter than an equivalent variable.

If you are planning on shooting at 100 only to sight in and then move out to 300-1000 or whatever, then you don't need the low end of a wide range zoom anyway.

There are lots of guys here who shoot those 6x super snipers out to 1000 and more, PErfect adjustments, clear glass, and functional reticles with known subtensions allow that. I promise you if you decide to upgrade in the future, you can get the vast majority of your money back on the classifieds of this forum. That bushnell you'll be lucky to sell at any price.

I made the same mistake when I thought I would get into long range shooting back in the day. I bought the biggest baddest 8-32x56 or whatever BSA scope I could find... I think I had to get it mail ordered from Cheaper than Dirt when AOL wasn't even a thing yet... Adjustments worked for sighting in but I needed a screwdriver to dial (didn't understand dialing at that time), the glass was like looking through a milk jug, the fine duplex was very precise (didn't understand milradians and didn't like the idea of mil-dots and MOA adjustments which were about all that was available at the time), and the full magnification range was all but useless under anything but the perfect conditions.

My point is, don't make the same mistakes I did by finding a cool feature or two and buying an untested scope based on that and overlooking what is really important in accomplishing your goal. For $300 there are better, proven options out there for shooting "long range".

Oh yeah, and gun writers/ magazines are all full of it, if they didn't make everything sound amazing, they wouldn't sell any advertising. They do a good job of doing their job. Just know that their job isn't to be objective, it's to sound objective and make take really awesome cover photos, while keeping the sponsors happy. (Except for Gun Tests and a few others that buy their review pieces off the shelf and make money without advertising)

IC B3

9x23w Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"Oh yeah, and gun writers/ magazines are all full of it, if they didn't make everything sound amazing, they wouldn't sell any advertising"...

Agreed, that's why we need boards like this one.

I actually have an old 10X on one of my rifles now and I would not be comfortable having to use a 10X scope at close range. Just too hard (for me anyway) to find the target.

I agree there's probably a huge difference between a BSA 8-32x56 and one of the newer Super Snipers. I think the Bushnell is in between them but whether its closer to the BSA or the SS I don't know. If it's closer to the SS then it's a good deal, and that's what I'm trying to determine before I buy it.

So back to my original question - anyone tried out one of these?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You want some real nice quality and feature loaded scope from Bushnell with Great Glass
at an affordable price for what you get, look at their new ENGAGE line...
particularly the 30mm tube models....

First Bushnell I've owned that I can say I've really been impressed right out the box with...
and I like Bushnells.. they have hit a home run with this series in my book...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,010
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.