Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Question for you rimfire fanatics:

I'm looking to build a 22lr training rifle that mimics my primary big game iron as reasonably possible. The main rifle has a McM Hunter stock, so ideally I would find something that I could have inletted for a McM Hunter OR one of the similar Sako variants (which one that would be, Im not totally sure - the Varmint?)

Trying to keep this project as "value oriented" as possible - with the McM being the primary splurge cost wise. Plan to put a 10X SWFA on it.

A standard CZ455 would be perfect, but McM doesn't inlet for those. Sako quad, Rem 40x, or 700 footprint custom are the only options Ive found so far. Im not considering those last two options seriously, which leaves the Sako.

Any other recommendations?

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think you have answered your own question:)

If you are seriously hung up on the Micky Monte Carlo style stocks, then the Sako quad is about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my big gun is a M77 Mark II in .280 Rem, my trainer is a M77/22.
Problem solved. Ok I know that doesn't do you a world of good, but jk16 has already pointed out the obvious answer.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Might not meet your definition of affordable, but the 40X is a great option. I found a bare 40X action several years ago and traded a scope for it I now have a full size rimfire clone of my big rifle. The action drops into a Remington ADL stock perfectly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One other option is ti order a McMillan inletted for a SA M700 and simply glass in a CZ455 Varmint in the inlet.

Both actions are round and the CZs can be dropped in as they are smaller in diamter. Fill in the voids with acraglass etc. dress it off and paint it.

That may be beyond the OPs skill level (or budget) but there it is.

Thank god I prefer simple Classic styled stocks. I don't have such problems..:)

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Sorry,double post:)

Last edited by jk16; 10/11/17.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I did answer my own question.

The sensible thing to do would be to buy a CZ, forget about the stock, and be done with it. But whats the fun in that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the CZ, buy an uninletted McM and a hobby is borne. Nice thing about inletting Fiberglass is if you screw up, add some epoxy and start over.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I really like the heavy/varmint contour barreled Marlin rimfire bolt guns in either the Boyds Rimfire Hunter or the factory issue Marlin 917 laminated stocks for use as an understudy rifle. They are similar in size, weight, and balance to my 22" and 24" Marlin, Remington, and Ruger bolt action CF rifles.

I was shooting the 917M2S quite a bit, but have moved to a 917VS, varmint/stainless/laminated, with the faster A17 ammo. Our local Wal-Marts sell the A17 ammo for $50 in the 200 round boxes. I'm a big fan of the McMillan McMillan Hunter style stocks, but can't imaging having one inletted for a rimfire built on any action except a Remington 40x or 700 because of issues related to the depth of the action.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by avagadro
Get the CZ, buy an uninletted McM and a hobby is borne. Nice thing about inletting Fiberglass is if you screw up, add some epoxy and start over.

I'm pretty sure I would butcher the stock - would probably give it a go on a cheap boyds stock, but not a mickey.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm a big fan of the McMillan McMillan Hunter style stocks, but can't imaging having one inletted for a rimfire built on any action except a Remington 40x or 700 because of issues related to the depth of the action.

I've been looking at the Finnfire II or quad with the "pro" walnut stock. The stock looks to be a slimmed down version of the classic Sako monte carlo pattern, which is probably close enough to the McM Sako Hunter/McM hunter that Ive got now.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
W,

Looking at the pics, I'd say your best bet is to buy the Quad Hunter Pro.

The Mickey Hunters are based on the Sako Monte Carlo stocks and looking at the pics of the current Quad Monte Carlo stocks, it looks like it will be a pretty close match to the feel of your McMillans.

Pay attention to getting scope mounting height the same in relation to the stock comb and it should feel very close to your centerfire rig.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't get a McSwirly ... Can't butcher a fiberglass stock, remove too much, fill in and do it again.Once done paint it.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by jk16
W,

The Mickey Hunters are based on the Sako Monte Carlo stocks and looking at the pics of the current Quad Monte Carlo stocks, it looks like it will be a pretty close match to the feel of your McMillans.

Pay attention to getting scope mounting height the same in relation to the stock comb and it should feel very close to your centerfire rig.

Wouldnt have thought of the scope height matching. Thanks for the tip.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by wildcat33
Originally Posted by jk16
W,

Wouldnt have thought of the scope height matching. Thanks for the tip.

Most people don't.... wink

Glad to help. Good luck..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
CZ's are an easy pass,simply because they fhuqking suck. Their mags crazy suck...so that is an easy pass.

Sako gets alotta things VERY right,in regards to stock ergo's and has for many moons. There's some subtle differences through the years/lineage,but they connect alotta dots. I've McMillan versions of both their Hunter patterns and love both,with contour being the determining factor on final selection.

Now as to building a rifle,to follow suit with another rifle(and often in a milder or rimfire chambering),I get the premise and have prolly more than a few of the ilk. Some folks like to go crazy on minutia,trying to correlate cause/effect of "differences" that could never begin to make a fhuqk...more power to 'em. FACT is,the more you shoot,the better you get and that no matter the platform. Lotsa folks love to get that cart in front of the horse. So while cookie cutter builds offer the most commonality,they'll not do as many favors as say a Flyweight and a Chub that actually get fhuqking shot(a lot). Hint.

So while I'm purty good on High Zoot bolt action Rimfire count and am an unabashed Anschutz Slut,I've been waiting/wanting like more than a few folks,for a Skookum S/S Repeater of the highest order. There's been multiple attempts and all have floundered,because feed/function wasn't a key focus. Next thing I know,I've a Vudoo V-22 on order with Specter contour at an unthreaded 18" and have a McMillan Old Glory Classic being crafted to nestle same. I contemplated the Sako Hunter,as it's an exceptional pattern,though it's greatest attributes,are also it's greatest "weaknesses". That being it is VERY anti-ambi,with glaring strongside penchants,in regards to cast,palm swell and cheekpiece. As the Vudoo will undoubtedly be loaned out for others to R&D,I wanted to keep things North/South friendly,if only to keep windows of opportunity open.

It ships with a 30MOA rail option and 'Horn's will make it a 70MOA Show,which ain't a bad place to be on a 22LR with a 10x MQ. I drive custom 75MOA rails upon multiple Anschutzseses and can 50yd zero all,though I prefer a 125yd zero on the 1717D HB.

Long story short,rather than try to shoehorn some schit and in the interest of long term satisfactions,it'll likely pay more than a few dividends to really do it right. Some balk at the notion of spending more than $99.99 on a Rimfire,but they of course are the Stupid Fhuqks who don't shoot anything other than their mouths. Why wouldn't a guy set up the rifle which will see the most trigger time,in the best way possible?!? That said sanctity is backed by the fact that it is the least expensive to shoot,the quietest and most Fun to boot,assuredly do not hurt that equation. Add to that,the simplistic fact that Long Range Rimfire Pursuits will teach you more than any/all things Centerfire,in regards to reading atmospherics and bolstering a skill set...then it is a slam fhuqking dunk.

Bang for the buck?!? S/S RAR in a Boyd's(RFH) with the lever tossed offa cliff and trigger re-sprung. 6x MQ on DIP 25MOA extended rail,for fast/easy inclination.

Top...though a KILLER 10/22 do not suck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd be happy to shelf like for like ergo's,to drive an Anschutz 54 and it's trigger,largely no matter the stock pattern. The benefits gained in trigger time and Wind Reading,will crush whatever a similar handle would yield. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I cain't see fhuqking around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of different ways to skin the cat. If you have Stick's resources, he has all the bases covered. I've also been of the mind to have rimfires that mimicked my CF rifles, but I found after a few stumbling steps that they didn't have to be identical to fulfill their purpose of having a like model for practice to transfer over to my centerfire rifle. I have a few rimfires that fit the bill in various price ranges and I've found the more I shoot any of them, the more comfortable I am with the big brother rifles. My Win 52's, 69's, 75 Sporter and Remingto 541S and 40X all work just like the big boys and give me tons of fun practice for cheap money. If you really want to go whole hog, find a Remington 547 and try that out for size. Very nice handling rifle, cut to a full sized feel and the ergonomics are pretty darned amazing. Just about anything you practice with a lot is going to make you a better marksman, IMHO. (which I believe is pretty much what Stick said above) smile

I"ve also found shooting game that is challenging helps to get the reflexes up with the shooting skill. Shooting from a bench doesn't always do that in the same way. Great for working up loads, but crap for game shooting in field positions. My best practice shooting for getting the muscle memory built up is shooting tons of "sage rats" or belden ground squirrels around here. A few days of that and you'll swear you could take on a Cape Buffalo with a rimfire and shoot them in the ear as they run past....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'd love to build a rifle off the V-22 as well, but that exploit will be cost prohibitive at the moment. Probably just settle for the Finnfire II or QUAD after the holidays. Any recommendations on scope choice for this setup? I was thinking the SS Classic in 10X with the parallax adjustment.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
33, used not abused 54's come up for sale for a grand with some frequency. There's no doubt that would be the way I'd go were I in the market

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

wildcat33;

I have a Sako Finnfire Hunter on consignment at Mazama sporting goods, in Eugene, Or.

If you're interested. I'm thinking they're asking $800. for it.

541-484-9993

Re stocked with a McMillan it would make a great training rifle.

Virgil B.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the lead Virgil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

83 members (AGL4now, 35, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 14 invisible), 983 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,497
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.