Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lots of you guys have some beautiful knives shown here, but here is the watch out. Years ago when I was just a kid my late little sister gave me a Schmidt & Ziegler bone handled stock folder. I carried that knife for years and dressed loads of deer with it. Then one deer season I felt in my pocket and it was gone. I was beside myself and spent the rest of the deer season retracing my every step trying to find where I must have dropped it. Oh it had probably been about $10.00 down at Van's Hardware back in the '60's, but Ginny had given it to me for Christmas and it meant way more to me than the cash value or any deer that walked in the woods. I never found it in the woods, but about seven days into the season it rolled out from under the seat in the truck. That knife doesn't go hunting anymore and just cuts open the tape on Christmas wrapping these days. Who among us hasn't left a knife back at a gut pile? Take it from a sentimental old guy, that if a knife has some special significance to you, it should be put on light duty where you are not going to lose it. Back when I hung out with the charter fishing guys, they would say that you never really have a good fishing lure. That you only get to use it for a while. Don't let that be your prized possession knife.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I never carried a knife when deer hunting. Sure I had my everyday benchmade. Dollarwise I would hate to loose it but otherwise no big deal. Where I hunted was easy access either a truck or atv could get within feet of anything we shot. Anyways all my serious critter cutting gear was kept in a metal ammo can in the truck. Some expensive knives as well as a couple sentimental knifes. Had everything to gut and butcher.

Whenever I used anything from the box it was washed and put back in immediately after use. If it could not be washed it was wrapped in paper towel and put in the box and washed as soon as I could. The only thing taken out of the truck when I got home before that box was my guns.

Well last halloween some lowlife pieces of chit broke into my house. Guess what they took.

Lost about four hundred bucks of replaceable stuff. But the two old buck knives that my grandfather used can never be replaced. Real stung as I never got to hunt with him. Was my only real hunting connection to him. Only good thing was for some reason I did not have my old mans sharp finger knife in the box. That is now in the safe.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got knifes that belonged to my Great Granddad and Granddad too. They don't get carried.
If I loose one of my everyday carry Spyderco's or Benchmade's, I'll be pissed, but can easily replace them. My really nice custom hunting knifes stay in the truck while I'm hunting at the Ranch, as I can easily drive with in 100 yards of any deer that I take at the Ranch.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/17/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Windfall
Lots of you guys have some beautiful knives shown here, but here is the watch out. Years ago when I was just a kid my late little sister gave me a Schmidt & Ziegler bone handled stock folder. I carried that knife for years and dressed loads of deer with it. Then one deer season I felt in my pocket and it was gone. I was beside myself and spent the rest of the deer season retracing my every step trying to find where I must have dropped it. Oh it had probably been about $10.00 down at Van's Hardware back in the '60's, but Ginny had given it to me for Christmas and it meant way more to me than the cash value or any deer that walked in the woods. I never found it in the woods, but about seven days into the season it rolled out from under the seat in the truck. That knife doesn't go hunting anymore and just cuts open the tape on Christmas wrapping these days. Who among us hasn't left a knife back at a gut pile? Take it from a sentimental old guy, that if a knife has some special significance to you, it should be put on light duty where you are not going to lose it. Back when I hung out with the charter fishing guys, they would say that you never really have a good fishing lure. That you only get to use it for a while. Don't let that be your prized possession knife.

I buy the damn things to use, and if I lose one I shall buy another.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for sharing your beautiful story of a precious memory recovered. Pay no attention to the ass holes.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Thanks for sharing your beautiful story of a precious memory recovered. Pay no attention to the ass holes.

"beautiful story'...jeez fella, are you gay or just some touchy-feelie twit that has a sore tit because someone doesn't agree with your aesthetic eye for scopes.

Either way it is unbecoming for a man.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Many years ago I lost a kind of ordinary German Solingen skinning knife that I was carrying in a belt sheath with a snap retaining strap that got snagged in some brush. retracing my steps I was fortunate to find that knife. From that time on most of the time I carry a folding knife with a clip, sheath knives are carried in my backpack.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I left a Mora Clipper on a gut pile a few years ago. I didn't bother to go back for it, as I would have spent more money for gas to make the trip than the knife was worth.

I left a pack out overnight a few years ago too. Since it had several hundred dollars worth of gear in it, I went back for it first thing next morning.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I carry my dead animal processing knives in my day pack. I don't have any that I would leave at home though, out of fear of losing them.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

scratching my head over that one.

Sam......

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
OK guys,I found it touching that the OP put a lot of value in a knife that his deceased sister had given him as a child. If that doesn't touch your heart then you have no feeling for family,or loss.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
and you are absolutely correct with how you feel and reacted to the original post. I just did not see any ass hole remarks about his post.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/18/17.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
funny. I just noticed that the entire word "[bleep]" gets bleeped, but breaking it up into it's component parts, "ass hole" does not. laughing

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
and you are absolutely correct with how you feel and reacted to the original post. I just did not see any ass hole remarks about his post.

I didn't name anyone specifically. I wanted to see if they would identify themselves.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Years ago when all I had was a Schrade 'Walden Trapper I left it at a gut pile.
Went back the next day in the snow to get it!

10-15 years later my landlady's son stole it and a New Buck folder.
Could care less about the Buck but I will always cuss the name of her son
over that Schrade Walden Trapper.
Sure I coulda bought another one, but it would not replace the one that walked
many a mile with me including skinning everything I trapped in 3 years.
I have a Schrade trapper here some place but never even get it out

Last edited by LouisB; 10/18/17.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Right you are, no more pocket carry for this guy. My Reeve folder goes in a Velcro closure pouch that goes in a Velcro closure pocket in my buckle closure pack. All I'm saying is to use something that you can buy again as nothing more than a tool.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My brother gave me a Puma fixed blade in the late sixties for being his best man. It was always special to me and I never carried it a field. Someone stole if from my belongs during the commercial move from Texas to Idaho. It's the only knife I've ever lost that meant anything to me, all the rest are just tools and I tend to loose them more often than most of you.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick
Sorry to hear that sad tale.
Got a pic of that knife???? Maybe we could make one like it.
Although some of their grinds are not on my bucket list.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree they are just tools.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I quit carrying the cub scout knife my mom gave to me when I was 7 years old. Partially sentimental, but mostly its geting worn and I like my spyderco delica better because it serves as a money clip.

Otherwise I would be pissed if I lost others, but would get over it.

Never had anything stolen. Yet.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,214
Posts18,466,272
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.