Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Save the big scope for when you come back. Yes to home made shooting sticks. Make a bi-pod and a tri-pod and practice with both. Or get a trigger stick and give it to the guide. Carhart double faced pants worked well and were quieter than the nylon bush pants. Filson are good but the waxed double tin can get hot.

Get a pair of boots now and break them in. Practice shooting like you are playing golf or shooting sporting clays. That is walk around and shoot at unknown distances off the sticks if you have a place you can do this. The majority of shots will be standing up so stay away from the bench once you decide on a load.

Don't take too much stuff but where I go overboard on is camera's. One trip I had four and don't regret it. You can give a point and shoot one to one of the trackers and may get some interesting photos this way. Save your money for trophy fees as you will be guaranteed to have opportunities on whatever you don't have a tag for.

I would bring one full size good quality bino and another small one like the Yosemite 6x30 for your son. Sharing binoculars doesn't work well.

Be prepared for cool weather temps can be chilly in the AM in an open car. A down vest or sweater is nice and weighs almost nothing. Have a tougher jacket to go over it or you will leak feathers everywhere.

Have a great trip.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Tejano
Save the big scope for when you come back. Yes to home made shooting sticks. Make a bi-pod and a tri-pod and practice with both. Or get a trigger stick and give it to the guide. Carhart double faced pants worked well and were quieter than the nylon bush pants. Filson are good but the waxed double tin can get hot.

Get a pair of boots now and break them in. Practice shooting like you are playing golf or shooting sporting clays. That is walk around and shoot at unknown distances off the sticks if you have a place you can do this. The majority of shots will be standing up so stay away from the bench once you decide on a load.

Don't take too much stuff but where I go overboard on is camera's. One trip I had four and don't regret it. You can give a point and shoot one to one of the trackers and may get some interesting photos this way. Save your money for trophy fees as you will be guaranteed to have opportunities on whatever you don't have a tag for.

I would bring one full size good quality bino and another small one like the Yosemite 6x30 for your son. Sharing binoculars doesn't work well.

Be prepared for cool weather temps can be chilly in the AM in an open car. A down vest or sweater is nice and weighs almost nothing. Have a tougher jacket to go over it or you will leak feathers everywhere.

Have a great trip.

Tejano,

Thanks for the advice on Carhartt. We will make those shooting sticks soon.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some form of short little gaiters is a good idea.

There are thorns on everything.

There was a grass that had black skinny seeds that they called blackjacks. They stick to everything and are hard to remove from some fabrics. Next trip I might have them stop at an army surplus store and I will buy a couple of SADF sweaters, and just leave them at the end of the hunt with the staff. Beats picking the blackjacks out of my sweaters when I get home ( last day I belly crawled for my gemsbok and was covered in blackjacks).

Some light leather gloves may be handy.

You will get scratched by thorns, whether you wear short sleeves and shorts or long sleeves and pants. I'm not used to the thorns, tend to burn easily and hate bug dope and sun screen. I wore Cabelas lightweight Microtex shirts and Cabelas 7 pocket hiker pants. Texas Huntco gaiters and uninsulated Meindl lightweight hunter boots. All worked well. If I changed one thing, I wish I could have tried a high top Lowa Zephyr boot. They may have been even more comfortable.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Just received notice from the 24hr campfire group buy that my Tikka stainless light is on the way. Planning to order Talley rings and a Swarovski Z3 tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wear the clothing that you wear in the USA.....same boots

Even though my African experience is low compared to some I can tell you to not spend money on new or extra stuff.......it's just not needed

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Z
Z
Just came from eastern cape . I used a 300 mag in a Winchester model 70 stainless classic. i load a 180 gr Barnes triple shock over 64.8 grains of imr-4831. took kudu,blue wildebeest, gemsbok and an impala all with one shots.i seaedt bullet .04 from lands. Hope u have a great hunt !!!

Michael Martucci
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last trip I used 140gr. Barns TTSX in a 7 Rem Mag. I shot 6 Mountain Zebra, 2 Gemsbok,Jackal and a Baboon, Use premium bullets and remember African animals vitals are a little farther forward than animals in the U.S.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of great advice in this thread. Follow it and you'll be golden.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Have the scope mounted on the new Tikka T3x stainless lite. What factory ammo does the campfire recommend?

V
V
I have hunted the Eastern Cape for the past 9 years and I am going back in 2018. Large parts are very hilly, thus take a rifle and equipment you trust and can shoot comfortably and accurately. Practice with sticks (bamboo works well) and please don't mount a scope for "star gazing". I have used a fixed 6x S&B all these years. Above all enjoy it!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1800topsoil
Have the scope mounted on the new Tikka T3x stainless lite. What factory ammo does the campfire recommend?

Whatever shoots best from your rifle

I do however recomend a premium bullet

TTSX, GMX, Accubond, Partition or any comparable bullet

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for all the advice. Have our tickets, need advice on a gun service and place to stay for the Johannesburg overnight layover before the final leg to Port Elizabeth. Can I take two rifles in a case? My son will be 15 years old when we travel I assume I will need to be the person on the paperwork for both rifles. Trying to decide between taking a Ruger #1 .270 or Tikka T3 .300 Win Mag for myself. Taking a Tikka T3X lite stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor for my son. Going with a group of 8 visiting churches and doing some light construction in Transkei then off to hunt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There are many opinions on where to overnight in J'burg. IMHO:

City Lodge in the Airport--most convenient, especially if you have to catch an early flight out the next morning. It is as nice and modern as any modern one in the US. Food is good, but supper costs extra. When I stayed there for some reason the restaurant wasn't open that night, so I had to wander around the airport to find airport food to eat. Breakfast was great.

Africa Sky--Fantastic place to kick back and stretch your legs some after a long flight. They will handle all of your meet and greet/SAPS, shuttling so you don't have to worry about any of it. It's a 10 minute ride from the airport. You will get a fantastic steak dinner and great breakfast included in the price, and you can grab a few free beers as well. Rooms are nice, clean and comfy, service is great. They also have a USA bank account, therefore you can just go down and deposit your check right into their account and have everything paid before you go, and don't have to use a credit card or cash while you're there.

I'd probably take the 300mag in case you decide to whack an eland. The 270 would work fine for everything else, and probably the eland too with a premium bullet. Eland are HUGE! Good luck, sounds like you and your son will have a blast.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
City Lodge, Africa Sky, Afton House and Intercontinental are where most stay. I can only speak to Africa Sky and Intercontinental as I have stayed at both. Africa Sky is turn-key, Permits, Meet & Greet, Lodging and Food, I understand Afton Is too. City Lodge and Intercontinental (both at the airport) you have have to arrange your permit (do it yourself or use a service like Riflepermits.com), hotel and food. Certainly City Lodge will be more affordable then Intercontinental. There are plenty of places to eat at the Airport from expensive Quills (very good) at Intercontinental to fast food in the terminal. My favorite place for fast food is Nando's, Nothing beats their Pari Pari chicken.

I would recommend that you you stay on the airport grounds. It's easier and safer. I have nothing against Africa Sky, other then the bar is outside and in the winter its cold. But there are just too many off airport robberies around the airport. Until that is completely under control, (and they are making some headway) for me its just not worth the risk.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And make sure the rifle permit service you use allows you to fill out the forms, then scan and email them back to the permit service like Africa Sky, Rifle Permits, etc. Some of them tell you they accept the forms by mail only (Air 2000 IIRC). Mailing stuff over there is PITA, and not necessary.

Topsoil.....who did you use for your travel arrangements. If you used Gracy or Steve Turner's Travel With Guns, they will do permits for you as well.

Last edited by JGRaider; 02/19/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Heading out shooting this weekend. PH tells me he uses Bog Pod Tripod. My son and I will be using the same sticks. What distance should we zero in a 6.5 Creedmoor and .270?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I would zero for 200 yards but make sure you know drop figures out to 400 yards.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.