Print Thread
Hop To
N
Nate40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
This year ive had a time with factory ammo. Started with my 300magnum a couple weeka ago but this time it happened to my go to deer rifle, my Remington 700 7mm08. I had went to the range last week with it, and it was throwing rounds everywhere with no consistency at all. I was shooting factory Hornady American Whitetail ammo that ive used for the last 3 seasons. Now ive never gotten tack driving accuracy with them but never had no trouble getting 1-1/4in groups at 100yards which is fine for my uses with this particular gun, but this time it looked more like a shotgun hit the targen than my favorite deer rifle. Now Earlier this summer i had upgraded the stock to a B&C alaskin and put a better scope on it(2.5-10 Nikon Monarch) so i wasnt sure if something was going on with one of those upgrades or not. I went back today and tried the American Whitetails again with the same issues, hitting everywhere, i couldn’t measure the shots but id guesstimate 4-5inch group with 6 shots. I was to the point of wanting to throw that scope away, I figured that had to be it. I happened to have a box of Winchester Ballistic Silvertips on hand and decided id just try em. Bingo groups came back. I put 4shots into a inch. I Really hate to use ballistic tips on deer anymore after having a bad experience before with them exploding on a shoulder but may have to switch back. Any ideas what could of caused these hornadys to be so unreliable this year?

Last edited by Nate40; 10/17/17.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Factory ammo is the problem. Not real consistent sometimes...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Id double check the stock too... differennt ammo will make the barrel vibrate differently, might have aspot taht barely touches where one roud effects it and the other doesnt?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How many years ago was the "bad experience" with ballistic tips?

JB says they have been much improved over the years and particularly the 7mm versions.

I have been using 140gr BTs for at least a decade in my 7-08 without issue.

There is no slower death known to man than the death of old internet wisdom.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I'd not fret the ballistic tips.

My bet is the stock swap is your issue. Different pressure point and barrel harmonics.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I happened to have a box of Winchester Ballistic Silvertips on hand and decided id just try em.

JB says they have been much improved over the years and particularly the 7mm versions.

Are we speaking of the same bullet? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When I worked in the gunsmithing department at Browning Arms Co. I worked on many rifles sent in for accuracy complaints. Usually the problem was found to be one of the following, loose scope mount rings or base, fouled bore, crown damage or bedding problem. We always mounted a shop Leupold scope tightening the customer's base, cleaned the bore with JB compound (some looked as though the owner never cleaned them), checked the guard screws for proper tightening and checked for crown wear/damage. If those steps failed to produce acceptable accuracy then we examined the bedding. We scraped the barrel channel to relieve any uneven pressure points reassembled and shot for group again. If we didn't get an acceptable group then adding a little forend tip pressure usually solved the problem. Very seldom was it necessary to re-crown or go to the extreme of replacing the barrel. One thing I learned is that you cannot tell how a barrel will shoot based on the bore's appearance. I saw lots of rifles with not so great looking bores that shot really well and conversely some with great looking bores that could not be made to shoot well. Good luck, hope some of this info helps you get your rifle shooting better.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post gunswizard...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah man, good post....Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A rifle that starts throwing its shots around the target COULD also mean you hit the coffee pot heavy that day. Homesteader

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The “very first” place is Scope bases/rings. Those are the “cornerstone “ of consistency, and the easiest to correct. From there, bedding and receiver bolt torque. Then swap to a different and known scope. Of course, all this was stated by a hand loader, in which many of our firearms have “never seen” a factory load! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,152
Posts18,465,058
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.