Print Thread
Hop To
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Once again I prevail upon you who have fish recipes secreted away, borne of a thousand dinners of of trial and error. We tried the ling rolled in Panko, it was superb, having it again tonight. Tried the yelloweye and the halibut the same way, both good, but nowhere near as good as the ling. We've had the halibut and salmon many times, and have a lot of ways of cooking it that we really like, but we have a limited amount of rockfish fillets. Anymore must/must not do's?, (other than over cooking which we did the first round). Thanks for advice and or recipes.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
BP-B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blackened rockfish tacos are my favorite. Flour tortillas, sour cream, shredded cabbage, queso fresco, pico de gallo, slice of avocado, and a squeeze of fresh lime.

Jeff

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
For yellow eye- it is the marinate IM (limited) E. Damned things are tasteless otherwise. Persobally, I like limited "add-ons", so i can savor the taste of the fish itself. Other's milage vary.

Pity so many yellow-eye are discarded to die by those who halibut fish and can only keep one y-e, and don't know how to return them to the deep with a fair chance of survival. I hope you do.

Rockfish are somewhat better in the marinade for flavor department. Still- I like KISS when cooking fish. Or anything. I'm simple..... smile

It all ends up looking the same anyway.

Last edited by las; 10/13/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

For Duskys and Quillback, I like 'em dipped in egg and Panko crumbs then coconut oil on a hot skillet. Yummy. Love me some Beaver Brand tarter too . . .

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer a simple dusting of flour with salt, pepper, and maybe a little dill. Fry in butter and build a sandwich with good bread, tater sauce, lettuce and slices from a really good tomato...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Like I said- the things have no real flavor on their own.... which isn't to say, the eats ain't good, properly prepared. ... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Like I said- the things have no real flavor on their own.... which isn't to say, the eats ain't good, properly prepared. ... smile

Yelloweye easily makes my top ten fish list... halibut is good fish, but fails to make my top 50...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yelloweye is easily my favorite rockfish. Best sliced thin with wasabi and soy sauce. Had some small blue fleshed rockfish which was tasty. Species was maybe rock greenling. Sitka?

Last edited by pak; 10/16/17.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rockfish ceviche don't suck either. My favorite is a combo of 1/2 rockfish and 1/2 scallop ceviche.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pak
Yelloweye is easily my favorite rockfish. Best sliced thin with wasabi and soy sauce. Had some small blue fleshed rockfish which was tasty. Species was maybe rock greenling. Sitka?

Yup, they were rock greenling, but not a rockfish. They are really good, very different, and probably picked up a bunch of points for being different.

I completely agree with your tastebuds on the thin slices in shoyu and wasabi...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff
Rockfish ceviche don't suck either. My favorite is a combo of 1/2 rockfish and 1/2 scallop ceviche.

Jeff

I have to agree with the basic concept of rockfish and scallops for anything!!! But I am too cheap to waste scallops on ceviche... and it is not like cod, octopus, or anything else could not have filled in!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We might not agree on a lot but rockfish is way better than any size halibut. For sure!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The best yellow eye I've had was blackened and served over rice. Pretty dang good. The yellow eye was fresh of course. Glad to see rockfish getting so much love. I have seen an increase in folks wanting black rockfish limits over the last 5 years.

The best rockfish release tool I've used is the seaqualizer. It clips on a downrigger ball to make for a quick operation and releases the . The noaa biologists brought us some when we did the lingcod study this last May. 100 lingcod in 3 days. Had some pretty competitive jigging contests on the boat, that's for sure. It won't be long before everyone will be required to carry some sort of release mechanism and actually use it. The charter fleet in SE already has the requirement. Watching yelloweye float away is stupid.

Originally Posted by las

Pity so many yellow-eye are discarded to die by those who halibut fish and can only keep one y-e, and don't know how to return them to the deep with a fair chance of survival. I hope you do.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
KISS. Flour for fried chicken, cornmeal for fried white meat fish, shrimp and oysters. Salt, pepper and tarter sauce, on southern fish does the job. Broil flounder with lemon and butter.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by akjeff

Jeff

I have to agree with the basic concept of rockfish and scallops for anything!!! But I am too cheap to waste scallops on ceviche... and it is not like cod, octopus, or anything else could not have filled in!!!

It's a great splurge every now and then......truly decadent!! smile

Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Baked with lemon garlic and butter doesn't hide the taste. Seared with black sesame seeds and a little soy or teriyaki is great esp. for tuna. I like Huachinago Veracruzano but maybe for other fish.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.