Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
At public ranges, once nice thing about electronic muffs is that you can turn down the volume so that you don't hear the inane conversations going on around you. It's too bad that it'd look funny wearing muffs in gun shops, though.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I mean.... a .300RUM will do everything faster and better than a .270......... But I'll still take my .270 *almost* any day.....

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was a 20 something elkguide a long time ago. We also killed a lot of Bull elk and have some opinions about hunter clients and their rifles.
Eg: to this day I dislike any Weatherby rifle and their chamberings, my little .270 win was used by these hunters many times instead of the Weatherby super rifle that I heard of incessantly in camp and the .270 is still my favorite.Cheers

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was a 20 something elkguide a long time ago. We also killed a lot of Bull elk and have some opinions about hunter clients and their rifles.
Eg: to this day I dislike any Weatherby rifle and their chamberings, my little .270 win was used by these hunters many times instead of the Weatherby super rifle that I heard of incessantly in camp and the .270 is still my favorite.Cheers

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm suspicious of hunters that show up with a long range set up or if one of the first things they say is how well their rifle groups.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Anytime I get an earful about how one cartridge, bullet, etc. Works so much better than every other, I stop listening to the noise. There's a time and place for most everything. I'd need some real proof of competence before I could be onboard with a truly long range attempt at anything. I like seeing a guy with a well worn rifle.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I mean.... a .300RUM will do everything faster and better than a .270......... But I'll still take my .270 *almost* any day.....

-Jake

The "better" part is highly debatable.

I've bought a number of rifles in the last few years. A .300RUM was always available but never even considered because it does, IMHO, nothing I need that other cartridges I already use can't do. So I ended up purchasing multiple .30-06 rifles, a couple .308's, a .280 and a .243.

But a .300 RUM does do some things 'better'. Using factory ammo it will empty my pocketbook faster. If reloading it will burn my powder stash faster. And the higher recoil will beat me up faster.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake

The "better" part is highly debatable.

I've bought a number of rifles in the last few years. A .300RUM was always available but never even considered because it does, IMHO, nothing I need that other cartridges I already use can't do. So I ended up purchasing multiple .30-06 rifles, a couple .308's, a .280 and a .243.

But a .300 RUM does do some things 'better'. Using factory ammo it will empty my pocketbook faster. If reloading it will burn my powder stash faster. And the higher recoil will beat me up faster.

Nothing better than a 300 RUM for stopping an antelope charge.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Many long years ago, I thought the 30-06 was the be all, end all of hunting cartridges. I atill hold it in very high regard. Anyway along about 1073 a friend needed money in a hurry and had a commercial FN Mauser in .270 he was asking $75 for. shocked Stock was in my eye so ugly it would abort a lady crocodile. (Thanks to Jack O'Connor for that line. grin)
Now I really never had much use for a .270 and in fact still don't except if I get a tag for antelope but damned if that rifle didn't shoot. I ran 130 and 150 gr. bullets through it and even took a few deer with it so I decided to keep it. Still have it BTW. I always figure I's restock it and maybe even rebarrel it but as Murphy's second law sez, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." and frankly, as ugly as it is in that stock, it just ain't broke. I decided I like the way 150 gr. bullets work in it so that's what I use, in fact that what I use in four rifles in .270. Three FN's and one M70 XTR. All for rifles are dead nuts accurate. Took the M70 as a back up gun on and elk hunt three years ago but it wasn't used. It also did a "goat" hunt in 2009 and took a nice one. I just might take one as a main rifle on my late December elk hunt and use the .35 Whelen as the back up. Whatever the mood strikes me just before the hunt. whistle
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PJGunner
... Anyway along about 1073 a friend needed money in a hurry ...
Paul B.

What currency did you use back then?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your friend is a TRUE millennial!😁

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I went on a guided wilderness horse packing elk trip last week. I had wanted to since I was a boy, and am glad I did. It was great adventure. Bears in camp, my partner shot a wolf, all of us killed 6pt bulls. It was great, just a really great trip.

I do have to share that my twenty something guide seemed to think that a Kimber Montana in .270 Win, shooting 150NP at 3025 and wearing a Zeiss scope without turrets was absolutely incapable of cleanly taking an elk at any distance. He also seemed to think that a Christensen 7Mag shooting 160AB's at 2820(!) with a NightForce/Turrets/Illuminated reticle could neither miss, nor fail to instantly drop anything at which it was aimed. And that a .300 Ultra would do it faster and better. I went so far as to use my iPhone to generate and discuss ballistics and energy tables, but to no apparent effect on his thinking. At the end of the day, both rifles worked as expected and intended and we got some really nice animals.

I wonder what he would have thought of my bone stock pre-64 .264WM.

Wisdom comes with age. Hopefully some it rubbed off on him. You get alot of that around these forums too though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul B.

Now, that's funny!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Paul B.

Several shiny flat rocks plus two blind fingers that can't type worth chit. blush whistle blush
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could have heard that argument from anyone. The more you learn the less you know I guess.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
Ah, when I think back to what I "knew" at 25... and at 50... Hell, give me another 25 over my 69, and maybe I'll know it all! smile

What I knew at 16 was that a .30-06 would do everything that needed doing in North America, and I haven't seen anything to change that bit of info.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.