Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I've gotten used to seeing AB's look like that too, which is why I love 'em. Congrats on the moose.

And you mostly shoot little stuff, no?

That is a very long way from what I want to find in any animal...

In fairness I did recover an X this year for the first time. It was in a moose and it was a little heavy for caliber, a little slow for caliber, and a TSX.

It also went through a hell of a lot more moose than these examples... and it only took one...

I have decided to start looking at the edges of bullet performance rather than the middle because the middle is so reliable. I am also trying to figure out how so many can have experiences so completely out of sync with my mine. Mostly, I still doubt a large percentage of the "I have never..." crowd...

Yeah, but you're the same guy who said any bullet that didn't exit was a failure IIIRC, which is a weak argument no matter what sized animal you're shooting.

Mostly little stuff for me, except for about 30 head of African game up to and including kudu, zebra, and blue wildebeest.

And I stand by that statement when shooting larger animals, especially. The science and Physics says it is anything but a weak argument. Animals die from non-CNS wounds by bleeding to death. Having a bigger, more useful vent is an obvious advantage.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tedthorn

In fairness I did recover an X this year for the first time. It was in a moose and it was a little heavy for caliber, a little slow for caliber, and a TSX.

It also went through a hell of a lot more moose than these examples... and it only took one...

I have decided to start looking at the edges of bullet performance rather than the middle because the middle is so reliable. I am also trying to figure out how so many can have experiences so completely out of sync with my mine. Mostly, I still doubt a large percentage of the "I have never..." crowd...

Originally Posted by tedthorn
In time.....there will be some jackass along to tell you of your bullet failure

Arrival.....just as predicted

If not for your obvious lack of experience my feelers might get hurt...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've gotten used to seeing AB's look like that too, which is why I love 'em. Congrats on the moose.

Yeah, but you're the same guy who said any bullet that didn't exit was a failure IIIRC, which is a weak argument no matter what sized animal you're shooting.

Mostly little stuff for me, except for about 30 head of African game up to and including kudu, zebra, and blue wildebeest.

And I stand by that statement when shooting larger animals, especially. The science and Physics says it is anything but a weak argument. Animals die from non-CNS wounds by bleeding to death. Having a bigger, more useful vent is an obvious advantage.

It's weak because it's proven wrong by countless hunters, including myself. No, I don't shoot grizzly bears or moose, but wildebeest, zebras, kudu, etc aren't real small.

No pass through's equal bullet failure? Seriously? I guess your beloved TTX/TTSX bullets that are "caught", failed also then. Ridiculous.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/17/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like pass throughs only because 2 holes bleed better than one. All things being equal if i recover a bullet from a DEAD animal I don't see it as a failure. But I'm sure someone will come along and tell me I'm wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW
I like pass throughs only because 2 holes bleed better than one. All things being equal if i recover a bullet from a DEAD animal I don't see it as a failure. But I'm sure someone will come along and tell me I'm wrong.

Sitka Deer loves the drama, almost every Accubond or Partition thread he pops up and tells everyone how much better Barnes bullets are. Maybe someone at Nosler wasn't nice to him one time. For the record I really like the Accubond and don't mind the TTSX bullets either. The two Partitions I really like are the 160 gr .277 and 220 gr 308.

Gerry.
IC B2

7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can see those heavies being excellent for large game Gerry. Myself I'm a big fan of the 25 cal 115gr and the 7mm 150gr Partition. Have some 210gr 338 Partition bullets that I've yet to try..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used both of those on black bears and they work really good. The 6.5 mm 140 gr PT is another that works quite well that we have used. A friend has used the 150 gr Partition in his 280 Rem for animals from goats to moose, great bullet.

Favourite Accubonds are the 130 gr 6.5 mm, 200 gr 308, 200 and 225 gr 358 and when I had my 375 Ruger I really liked the 260 gr AB

Gerry.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If I wanted an exit every time, or the bullet was a failure, and my ability to collect animals was in jeopardy, I'd be ethically bound to shoot flatnose solids.

A guy who wants to complain that expanding bullets fail, and then goes on to describe one of his expanding bullets failing, but then claims that others should also use his failure of a bullet.....well, that guy sounds like an unethical ass or an idiot who can't reason. Shoot non-expanding bullets that have the greatest chance of exiting, or STFU.

The other option is that expanding bullets work just fine, as proven by all the dead animals. And the ones that don't exit also work just fine, else the would be few pictures of bullets taken from game.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
If I wanted an exit every time, or the bullet was a failure, and my ability to collect animals was in jeopardy, I'd be ethically bound to shoot flatnose solids.

A guy who wants to complain that expanding bullets fail, and then goes on to describe one of his expanding bullets failing, but then claims that others should also use his failure of a bullet.....well, that guy sounds like an unethical ass or an idiot who can't reason. Shoot non-expanding bullets that have the greatest chance of exiting, or STFU.

The other option is that expanding bullets work just fine, as proven by all the dead animals. And the ones that don't exit also work just fine, else the would be few pictures of bullets taken from game.

WOW! Where did you leave your clue?

At least you put yourself in the ridiculous slot in your first paragraph, rather than trying to drag me into it. And obviously you have not kept up with the discussions.

You have to be a lot more specific than "expanding bullets" and putting someone else in your clueless, self-imposed ethical dilemma is laughable. FMJ and solids are notorious for slow killing... any reasonable person would not jump to the conclusion I was advocating exits above all else.

Your thought sequence does not work in proving your point, or even come close. So I will type this very slowly for you. I have never witnessed an Accubond exit and I have seen them used in a number of calibers up to 375. I do not expect every bullet to exit, but for bigger critters that I want dropping right now I prefer them to exit.

To suggest exits do not help is wrong.

The bullets I prefer are expanding bullets that IME&O are very reliable at exiting. Forced to shoot high because of the brush a bullet hit spine, and a scapula, and ribs before stopping just under the hide. On a bull moose. It was the first I have caught and far from the first one I put through a moose. It killed the bull and he was not close to deep water. My shot placement in a large animal with a TSX moving a bit slow allowed the bullet to be caught. I expect that bullet under similar conditions would exit far more reliably than any Accubond I have seen in use.

Then there is the very real difference in ruined meat...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gerry35

Sitka Deer loves the drama, almost every Accubond or Partition thread he pops up and tells everyone how much better Barnes bullets are. Maybe someone at Nosler wasn't nice to him one time. For the record I really like the Accubond and don't mind the TTSX bullets either. The two Partitions I really like are the 160 gr .277 and 220 gr 308.

Yup, I am all about drama and have no experience to back up what I say...

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That's what's surprising to me quite frankly. With all that experience, to make and stand by a comment like "unless the bullet exits I consider it a failure", well..........

Two holes make for a little easier trailing, but no better killing, IME/IMO. Yes, a few hundred dead big game animals told me that.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Weak arguments come from weak minds.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sitka Deer loves the drama.....

Apparently so.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That's what's surprising to me quite frankly. With all that experience, to make and stand by a comment like "unless the bullet exits I consider it a failure", well..........

Two holes make for a little easier trailing, but no better killing, IME/IMO. Yes, a few hundred dead big game animals told me that.

Reading comprehension is a gift...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OK

Catching bullets is a bad sign to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Notice the use of the plural?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've noticed things die faster from internal bleeding than external.

You must be bored Art, you need to take me hunting so I can show you some quick kills.

laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SU35
I've noticed things die faster from internal bleeding than external.

You must be bored Art, you need to take me hunting so I can show you some quick kills.

laugh

Come on up, I'll put you on a decent bull.

But your chamber stays cold until I tell you to chamber one...
wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Come on up, I'll put you on a decent bull.

But your chamber stays cold until I tell you to chamber one...
wink

I'll take you up on that. lol......

Also have some 230 grain Failsafe's that should make you happy!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

WOW! Where did you leave your clue?

At least you put yourself in the ridiculous slot in your first paragraph, rather than trying to drag me into it. And obviously you have not kept up with the discussions.

You have to be a lot more specific than "expanding bullets" and putting someone else in your clueless, self-imposed ethical dilemma is laughable. FMJ and solids are notorious for slow killing... any reasonable person would not jump to the conclusion I was advocating exits above all else.

Your thought sequence does not work in proving your point, or even come close. So I will type this very slowly for you. I have never witnessed an Accubond exit and I have seen them used in a number of calibers up to 375. I do not expect every bullet to exit, but for bigger critters that I want dropping right now I prefer them to exit.

To suggest exits do not help is wrong.

The bullets I prefer are expanding bullets that IME&O are very reliable at exiting. Forced to shoot high because of the brush a bullet hit spine, and a scapula, and ribs before stopping just under the hide. On a bull moose. It was the first I have caught and far from the first one I put through a moose. It killed the bull and he was not close to deep water. My shot placement in a large animal with a TSX moving a bit slow allowed the bullet to be caught. I expect that bullet under similar conditions would exit far more reliably than any Accubond I have seen in use.

Then there is the very real difference in ruined meat...

It is funny to watch morons like you founder as you attempt to reason, but it just comes out as insults against the guy who does know how to reason, who made a valid and ethical argument. I enjoy it. Please, continue attempting to grasp my "thought sequence" LOL!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.