Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Cariboo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Before and after picture of Canadian made Score 12 gauge slugs.

The bear ( about 300 pounds of fall fattened bear) was one I have been chasing around the property for the last month or so. Yesterday it decided it was big enough to chase back so it caught a 12 gauge slug between the eyes from ~10 feet. The slug drove in about 12 inches into the neck and the bear hit the ground so hard it did a summersault. It should be decent eating as it was well fattened on the apples my nearest neighbor a couple hundred yards down the road refuses to pick. I seldom "hunt" black bears but alway buy a tag so that nuisance bears won't be wasted if I have to shoot one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cariboo; 10/17/17.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A shotgun at close range is a wicked,wicked weapon.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Kind of cutting it close at 10feet !
What was your back up plan ?
Over/Under ? Double-barrel? Pump? Slide-fire? 😁

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Top of the morning to you sir and thanks for the ballistic report.

We've been running Challenger slugs for our social "shoo bear" arms and practicing with Score as it's cheaper. Well is was cheaper at Wholesale, but seeing as they're going the way of the dodo bird I don't know who will stock them anymore locally.

Nice work on the mulie too. Good to see someone in BC is getting winter's meat. It's been another tough year down here with very little game spotted other than the urban deer at work and in the yard.

Thanks again and all the best to you folks as we head into winter.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Cariboo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good day Dwayne,

I bought a case of the Score slugs from Wholesale last year when they had them on sale and were offering free shipping. I find them to be fairly accurate at smooth-bore ranges and while I would not use them for protection from grizzly bears they should be adequate for most of my requirements. We live in a sparsely populated community - about 350 people spread over 100 square kilometers - and while shooting is permitted I hesitate to use a rifle and the reduced ultimate range of slugs is perfect.

The little mulie was a gift. LoL I am in my second week of holidays and spent all last week putting up firewood. On Monday I decided to take a break and headed down to the river to spend some quiet time watching the sun set over the mountains. As I walked into my favorite spot I saw a deer feeding up towards me. As I sat down and started to pour a cup of coffee he jumped and ran towards me. When he quite bouncing about 200 yards out he turned sideways and presented a perfect presentation. I loaded my .270 and sent a bullet his way before I took my first sip of coffee. LoL

Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
Kind of cutting it close at 10feet !
What was your back up plan ?
Over/Under ? Double-barrel? Pump? Slide-fire? 😁

A backup plan wasn't considered as I had assumed he would run back into the bush behind our place once I yelled at him. I was carrying a short-barreled Remington 870 as there are a couple of other black bears in the area - a sow with last springs cubs, and a very large red-phase boar that I am concerned about.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Love the meat pole picture.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cariboo is my hero

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Cariboo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Love the meat pole picture.

Yes, that old Russian Willow at times can look like a redneck Christmas tree. A couple of years ago I had some friends from the lower mainland (Greater Vancouver) up hunting and deer were plentiful. We had 4 mule deer, a whitetail, and moose quarters all hanging at the same time.

A few days later I was talking to my brother who lives 90 km North of us. He was laughing on the phone when he said a client of his had mentioned seeing a redneck homestead on his way through the community. My brother said he knew in a second it was my place the client was talking about.

Last edited by Cariboo; 10/18/17.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This was a bear I had to shoot at about 10' with a standard slug- I used a 3" Winchester on this one. An earlier summer bear took a Federal slug and that is the second photo.. Both slugs looked the same. I didn't photograph the Winchester slug as it was just like this one. Both took bears with between-the-eyes shots at close range.

[Linked Image]

and the slug

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang, glad your OK.
Not many DLP shootings come with "before" pictures. Did you have to skin it and turn over the hide and skull or were you able to tag it?

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

Cariboo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
This was a bear I had to shoot at about 10' with a standard slug- I used a 3" Winchester on this one.

Definite pucker factor there!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had to surrender it. My apprentice followed me with a camera and I didn't even know it. He sent me the photo Sunday- first time I had seen it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would have made a rug with a story! Great picture.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great story and pictures! Thanks for sharing. I have considered buying Score shells. Having seen your results I believe I will pick some up.
In addition to Wholesale Sports, I have seen them at the Walmart here in Medicine Hat and I think, Canadian Tire.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.