Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Reposted with permission from JCMCUBIC. Thanks for sharing!

Yesterday, I put about 80 rounds through a short action Fieldcraft wearing a Tract Toric 2-10x42. I like the scope. If changing anything to make it my perfect hunting scope I'd make it in 6x fixed for less moving parts and slightly lighter. A few of the things I like about it:

Easy to use: Great glass, great eye relief, great "eye-box" (closest I've seen to the 6x42 Leupold....very easy to get behind), bold reticle.

Elevation dial with zero stop: The standard capped elevation dial can be swapped out for a taller elevation dial with a zero stop. The zero stop is a hard zero stop and the design is excellent. Raise it up, dial up to slightly less than 1 rotation (~18 MOA available, 20 per full rotation but the zero stop eats a little of the rotation), can be pushed back down at any point in that range so it doesn't change. A slightly higher cap comes with it so the user can cap the higher dial if they wish. Standard capped windage and no parralax on this model. I'll use this capped elevation dial, capping it with a 100 yard zero when hunting woods and traveling, then leaving it bare when hunting fields to dial for longer shots.

1" tube/mid-weight: I like the 1" tube vs 30mm for slight weight savings. Down side is loss of elevation adjustment for LONG rangers. I think overall it only has ~60 MOA elevation. For a hunting scope, I don't need more than 18 MOA from zero (with zero stop installed), but I understand that some may. The weight is still a little over 18 oz's with the capped elevation dial...I'd love it to be under 16, but it's still lighter than most tactical scopes.

Yesterday I zero'd it at 100, found my 200 adjustment, found my 300 adjustment, and went back and forth between the ranges many times shooting mainly 3 shot groups. Often I'd run it 18 MOA up then back down. Return to zero seemed good, but I only put about 80 rounds through it, dialing every 3-6 shots....so this is limited testing and yardages were short...but a lot of 18 up/down was done even when not needed.

I've not run this scope through the ringer enough to sing it's praises and call it all good, but for a "hunting" scope, I really like a lot of the features it offers, especially for a hunting scope that's going to be dialed. This same scope in a fixed 6x42 would just about be my "perfect" scope....assuming it stands the test of time/use. I'm planning to use it as my only scope this deer season from mid-Oct to the first week in Feb (aside from my muzzleloader). I'm planning to switch it across several rifles....but I'm liking the Fieldcraft so it may stay on it for the entire season...we'll see. It will get a lot of rough use during those ~4 months...we'll see how it does.

I'm not affilated with the company and I purchased the scope, so don't take this as me pushing the company. I think the folks at Tract put a lot of thought into how they were designing their "hunting" scopes. They seemed to have designed these scopes specifically for hunting. I think it shows in the product. They've got several models aside from the one I used yesterday and I'm not familiar with all the options, bells, and whistles that come with them so check out their website. One more thing that stands out about Tract is their business model of selling their scopes directly to the consumer to avoid retailer markup.

Toric on Fieldcraft. This is with the zero stopped elevation dial installed and capped:

[Linked Image]

Original post: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...re-to-build-a-hunting-scope#Post12305468

Last edited by TRACT_Optics; 10/18/17.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Below is another update on the Tract Toric and tracking/return to zero that I made last week. Scope has been perfect in adjustments and return to zero so far...........................

Just ran 30 rounds through (very quickly) while I'm waiting on someone to show up for an estimate on how much it's going to cost me for new field lines....all shots were fired in anger.... Should be 150 rounds through it now.

First few rounds were to re-zero the scope. I'd pulled it to widen ring spacing a bit. Didn't effect it very much but I did have to adjust slightly. 3 shots, adjust, 3 shots to confirm...simple like a SWFA. Reset zero-stop and windage.

Following that I shot 8 3-shot groups. 4 at 200, 4 at 300. Between each shot I dialed up to 18 MOA, back down to 0, then back to the adjustment needed. All the groups were tight even with dialing between. Might make a difference and a problem might show up if someone was shooting at the 18 up instead of just dialing like I was but for now it will have to do. That was a lot of dialing in very little time. Point being, it came back to where it was supposed to come back to every time.

Scope still hasn't taken a physical beating as it's only on a 6.5 CM and I've not had it hunting yet but it's going pretty strong right now. I'm liking the scope. Gotta say the Fieldcraft is a peach as well, nary a bobble and good groups on a thrown together load....sweet little rifle.

Last 3 shot at 300 after all the dialing, shot fast with plate still swinging.....scope has been perfect in adjustments so far:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 10/18/17. Reason: add pic of last 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like a winner in the preliminaries!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Waiting on someone to throw a rifle on the driveway 10 times and have it still zeroed. You want to like it based on the reports, but its new.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yep, season is starting and it will get some rough use then. Hopefully it will hold up.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Waiting on someone to throw a rifle on the driveway 10 times and have it still zeroed. You want to like it based on the reports, but its new.

Calling Stick!!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Excellent review, JCMCUBIC. I received my Toric 3-15x42 just before I left on a grouse hunt and haven't had the opportunity to get it mounted and tested. I'll attend to that over the next few days.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

We'll give you that honor.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the updates. I'm going to be looking for a reliable replacement for a VX-6, this seems like a very good candidate.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the update JCMCUBIC!

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks like you already have one, so you can go first. Truthfully it should be done in controlled conditions and filmed. Maybe tract could do it?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You beat game to death with your rifle? [bleep].....I've been shooting them all this time. Guess I've been doing it all wrong.
If you think a scope needs to stand up to being thrown down on concrete multiple times and hold zero just to be able to take it hunting, you believe too much bullshit you read on the internet.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/19/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you already have one, so you can go first. Truthfully it should be done in controlled conditions and filmed. Maybe tract could do it?

And if they do will that get you to open your wallet? Or will you require multiple runs, still remain skeptical, and then perhaps request it get dropped from a plane? smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

Maybe Tract has already shock tested their products.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Maybe Tract has already shock tested their products.

From their website:

"Shock Endurance (grams)1,000g"

Exactly what that translates to I don't know. I'll hunt it hard from now until February, hunting between 1-3 days most weeks. I don't misuse stuff but I don't baby it either, I just hunt it. I've watched rifles go sliding/bouncing down limestone bluffs after a sling swivel came loose, had them fall from treestands, dropped more than I can keep up with, etc.... If something happens to it I'll check it and report.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's all you can ask.

I don't expect military-grade performance out of hunting gear, I don't use them like a fighting rifle, but do like things to hold up. I have had similar events like you've mentioned, accidents but not deliberate abuse. So far, what I have does hold up.

This particular scope has kind of caught my attention, and what you say may cause me to buy one.

I said that just so you'd know you would be partially responsible....(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Well after watching that it does not make me want to rush out an buy a Kimber but it does remind me why I don't bother subscribing to gun rags like Guns & Ammo.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Another 24hourcampfire pull out your dick and brag about beating the [bleep] out of your gun thread..... .[bleep] is so ridiculous.
Between the internet and reality television, the average American has lost touch with reality. Millionaires claiming oppression, cops in full tactical gear and hunters pretending the 100yd walk to the elevated heated deer blind is main Street Fallujah.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/19/17.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Another 24hourcampfire pull out your dick and brag about beating the [bleep] out of your gun thread..... .[bleep] is so ridiculous.
Between the internet and reality television, the average American has lost touch with reality. Millionaires claiming oppression, cops in full tactical gear and hunters pretending the 100yd walk to the elevated heated deer blind is main Street Fallujah.

So you're saying that a scope shouldn't hold zero if it is leaned against a tailgate or tree and slides off...?

If toasters offered the same performance as most scopes they'd be extinct. But an aiming device that doesn't stay zeroed- perfectly ok.

Since it is possible to make scopes work correctly, I'll take those.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

609 members (204guy, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,260
Posts18,448,161
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.