-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Okay, I've owned a .460R Glock conversion with 6.61" barrel and long slide for several years now. The gun is truly SAWHEET to shoot because to me it really feels like it has less recoil than the Glock 20 10mm.

Having said that, over the years I keep looking at the 1911 conversions so I finally decided to take the plunge....except, I'm NOTgoing to install it on my Colt Delta Elite fitted with .45 slide, instead I've installed it on my Rock Island Armory chrome plated "tacticool" model with the wide beavertail grip safety and ambidextrous thumb safety, and all sorts of other features. I've got a "raft full" of RIA 1911 pattern pistols sitting out there in the safe doing nothing so why not throw one into the mix. I got the idea after reading about another intrepid experimenter who built HIS Rowland conversion on an RIA with NO compensator! His reports of how the pistol held up were complimentary to say the least.

If it explodes upon first firing or "last" firing, I'm gonna find out. If the frame and or slide become instantly tweaked into inoperability I'm gonna find out.

My thinking? When I see a list of guns as long as my wife's shopping list stating all the guns too "inferior" to handle the mighty Rowland I get a bit skeptical...I HIGHLY doubt any company has actually taken every single example of every single brand out, fitted them with the Rowland conversion, and shot them to destruction...so I will.

"If it breaks, it breaks...."

However I doubt it will just up and "break," and this is the rationale behind installing the conversion on an RIA. IF and when the RIA is toast I'll simply move on to the next "suspect" frame to see what it will take to kill it!

Now, I'm not planning to deliberately destroy the gun...so in addition to the starting recommendations I intend to add a flat bottom firing pin retainer and stiffer hammer spring. I'll start out with everything heavy, then reduce spring weights as shooting indicates is appropriate.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SerJorah; 10/16/17.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Interesting experiment.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Sounds like you're doing it right. I'd expect it to work just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds interesting. the flat bottom firing pin retainer will slow the pistols unlocking. You could throw a shock buff in for grins and giggles.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool experiment, I will go out on a limb and predict it will hold up just fine! looking forward to future reports

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.