24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Any one ever mount a Pecatenny Rail on Older Savage 99 , its 22-hi Power , 1917 built, Would like to know of any
Base , one piece Base , that can be mounted ?
Westkeyser .

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, you didn't hear it from me..., but The top of a 99 receiver is not parallel with the bore, so any flat picatinny rail will not work. Luepold and Redfield both make/made one piece mounts for the 99.

BUT! If your 99 is not drilled and tapped, it would be heading for sacrilege to drill it. We have a fellow campfire member who makes a scope mount to fit the barrel dovetail and rear aperture sight mounting holes, his handle is "Lightfoot"

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This guy's messing with us, right?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That was my first thought also.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Definately a Lightfoot mount, you'll accomplish what you're trying to do without destroying the rifle's collector value. Although long discontinued, Stith mounts are another option. They turn up in the classifieds her from time to time and also on eBay.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes, the collector value needs to be acknowledged and the fact that you can't un-drill a rifle that's not being produced anymore, morally original 99's need to be preserved for posterity!

...and the rails along the forearm would really devalue the wood beyond repair...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12341329/tactical-lever-action

JeffG
W
OP Offline
W
A bit about me and this old gun ,when I was 17 , I think, now 78. I bought it, is was drilled and taped, cross ways , not in line , 2 holes in the front , 2 holes in the rear. I started working a year later , making some money , I had a local Gunsmith drill and tap and mount a Baush & Loumb belfor 8 - 2.5x8 scope mount put on it.
Had a hard time getting it to shoot , mostly due to lack of knowledge , and funds. No one to really teach me how to load. I shot the H-P for a few years with success. However, The B/L Scope , would flake off inside , leaving specks on the lens. I am not sure how many times I returned it to BL to clean. I removed the scope and put it away.

Fast forward , 50 + years . Over the years, I ran down some good Dies, 4 sets in all . I recently dug OUT my old Buddy, and some Brass , as most of my old loads had surscumb , to age , LIKE ME and the NECKS SPLIT. I have for the past month , been working Brass , with the same zeal as I put into ,when building my Long Range Palma loads (800,900,1000) for my BRITISH RPA 2000 PALMA RIFLE. WHICH ,THE Shot Record Book STATED WELL OVER 20,000 rounds down Range. Most with IRON SIGHT.

I have over the years aquired a few , very nice scopes, I wanted to mount one on Old buddy, ( ONE THAT I COULD TAKE OFF AND ON) to shoot a deer . I was hoping some one , out there had tried to mount a good Pecatenny Rail on one , or knows of a GOOD SMITH. THAT WOULD DO THE WORK FOR ME.

THE GOOD OLD GUN SMITHS I HAVE KNOW, ARE ALMOST GONE. SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY INFO TO HELP ME PLEASE PASS IT ON TO ME. Thank you all, WEST KEYSER

Last edited by Westkeyser; 10/19/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well Mr. Keyser, Welcome to the 24hr campfire. I'm afraid I may have become be too much of a cynic here on the anonymous internet. I apologize for my sarcastic response about tactical lever actions (...someone actually built that thing!).

So, you're trying to get a blank picatinny rail drilled to match the existing holes on the rifle? You no longer have the B&L mount? If you are considering new holes in the receiver I would steer toward the Leupold one piece mount made specifically for odd shape of the top of the 99. But before hiring someone to drill new holes, I think you'd save time and money by checking out the "Lightfoot mount" over at the Savage collector's thread here on the 'campfire.

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

JeffG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 658 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.